Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Back seats and kids

I am considering moving from a 914 to a 944. One on the primary reasons is for the back seat. I have 2 kids, ages 2.25 and 0.5. If I can cary both of them to/from daycare/school over the next 5 years or so, then it could justify the transition. This would allow me to actually drive the car insted of just look at it.

Do you use the back seat for kids?

What is the max comfortable hieght for a passenger?

And lastly, did any year have a shoulder strap on the seatbelt?

go SOX!

Old 10-21-2004, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

i've driven with a 6 year old and a 1 year old in the back of my 944. they must have been comfortable, because they both fell asleep.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 10-21-2004, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Not sure if the bottoms of the back seats on a 944 are wider than a 911. If not, most car seats will not fit in the back. Make sure you do some measuring before buying.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

you can buy car seats designed to fit the porsche back seat.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 10-21-2004, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
nynor (or anyone else who knows), Have you had a rear-ward facing infant seat for new-borns in the back? The width doesn't seem to be a problem, but the space to the back of front seat is a problem, even with the front seat fully forward. I've only looked at a couple, so I don't need the $300 Porsche specific one just yet!

Bander, I think the 87 and up 944's had three-point belts and before that they were lapbelts

check out
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=165428&page=2&pp=15
for seat belt related info

cheers

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944
Old 10-21-2004, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Macfreak007
overall the 944 back seats are really just a joke, i would not count on the kids riding back there for very long, i find it extremly uncomfortable, but of course I am 6ft. If you need to carry the kids around think about getting a 928 It has bigger back seats, much more comfortable.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I am only 21, and my dad has had several 944s starting in the mid eighties. I remember being young, like 3 to 5, and loving the back seats of these cars. It was always my favorite car of his when I was younger so I say go for it
Old 10-21-2004, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My kids, 3 and 5.5 love the back seats....but alas..cannot fit the car seat.

I think if you have three points back there you would be pretty legal like eagle. The seats are actually more conforming than their baby seats.

They really are a joke though..I don't think anyone over 8 or 10 would be able to sit there.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
It certainly seems like the back seats were desingned for children and no more.

I would definitely measure if a car seat will fit first.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 10-21-2004, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

You would have to wait until your 0.5 year old can sit in a forward facing child seat, as pointed out by a.n.other, rear facing infant seat would not fit in the back.
In Australia, children has to sit in the back with infant/child seat until they are 4 years old or 18kg, then a booster seat can be used.
With a forward facing child seat in the back, the front seat need to be moved forward, I would not think anyone over 58 would be very comfortable, however, a booster seat would free up more space at the front.
I have a 944 turbo and I do take my 17 months old daughter with me in a forward facing child seat. With my wife in the front it is a bit push for space (she is only 54).

Kenneth
Old 10-21-2004, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

My girls, 9 and 6 have loved the back seat for ~2 years now. I have never used car seats. Not recommended, I know, but those seats with the shoulder strap fit the kids better than any of the car seats we've had. You look at them and you know they're secure.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I concur groth. Not for the very little ones but after 4 or 5 they hug them pretty tight. Seems like they were made for german elves.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Custom User Title

For the 6 month old you could put him/her? in the front seat. Not the best arrangement but it will work if you have no airbags.

My son just turned 2, unfortunatly my 944 was cracked up recently but he loved riding in the car. I have a child seat that I somewhat modified to fit.

All the child seats I saw have a very square back, the 944's back seat is very rounded. I took a small amount of plastic out to round it out and fit well. I dont see how this would have changed the structure of the seat.

The seat belts protrude far out so its tough to get the seat tight. There are two options, switch the seat belt in the middle to the other side so it can get tighter. (didnt really work for me) OR
The creative option I came up with was to take 2 rear child seat anchors and mount them instead of the seatbelts using the UAS (LATCH) style belt to tighten everything down. I had to drill out the holes in the anchors to be slightly larger.

I also ran a 250lb tie down strap though the rear 944 seat (where it folds down) to the luggage tie down hooks in the far corners of the trunk. I also ran the rear tether to one of these hooks.

I dont know if this set up would be legal or 100% safe but I do know that even with a ton of tugging and pulling it never moved an inch. The seat in my Mazda with the propper UAS install isnt as tight as I had the 944 seat.

I wouldnt recommend a 944 as a "family" car but for the odd trip it should be fine. Once the kids get out of the car seat stage I thing the 944 would be fantastic.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

My four year old LOVES the back seat - just got back from grannies and he fell asleep with his head on the padded center section. Actually I'm the step daddy - his real daddy is a cop and I showed the back seat to him and explained they were made for toddlers, and that he doesn't need a child seat. He was fine with it. Blake loves it, he feels a lot more grown up not having to have his booster - and it's so well padded and my seat is so far back that I know he won't be going anywhere in an accident.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
My 19 yr old (5'10") or her 21yr (5'8") boyfriend regularly have to use the back seat on a 200km journey up and 200 return I do every 2 weeks up the coast. Daughter btches like crazy but the boyfriend is only too happy to get a free ride home on weekends. Move the passenger seat forward until the front passengers knees are around her ears and you get enough space to survive in the back. Up to ten years old it should be absolute bliss in comparison, and front seat moved only a bit forward. I have driven around with a 6'4" nephew and those 2 plus 1 other friend for 2 weeks on a daily basis. Oh, and I am 6'2" and need to drive without obstruction, so you can imagine there is not much space behind me either. If they are minor contortionists its no problem. Minor discomfort is the price they have to pay for the privalege of riding in a Porsche.

Last edited by Paul Glasson; 10-21-2004 at 11:31 PM..
Old 10-21-2004, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

It looks like the 944 is a good car for dads and their young kids with
all the previous posts, my 6&7 year old girls love it, but often get car sick, probably due to my driving ..
but plenty of room and by the time they dont fit they will not want to
hang out with mum and dad anyhow.
safe driving
Russell
Old 10-22-2004, 12:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I've been researching toddler seats for my 911, and I will probably put a post together with links to everything useful that I find. I had a rear-facing baby seat in the back of 911 until Ewan outgrew it. It was a Graco, and was the model that is part of a stoller/carseat combo package. The new one's are slightly different but should still fit. I had a 944 and the seat bottom I recall being a bit longer in the 944. That was the only limiting factor for the 911. I bought $20 non-inertial reel seatbelts from Kragen, which solves many problems. You CANNOT use the stock 2 point belts. They won't stay tight, and you want them TIGHT! It was neccessary to move the passenger seat way forward and to make the seat back pretty vertical. It fit just fine on the passenger seat also. Our current toddler seat (which is still used rear-facing since he is 2# too light according to the seat specs) fits just fine in the front, but it is such a hassle to install that I haven't done it often.

edit---
I also removed the folding seat back. My straps are rotten, broken, and live in the glovebox. Even it they were intact I would have removed the seatback because I wouldn't trust that snap if I ran into something.
'76 911S 3.0 RIP
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/BanjoMike

Last edited by banjomike; 11-15-2004 at 02:56 PM..
Old 11-15-2004, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Smile Yes u Can

I'm 5'4 and never had a major problem sitting in the back of my hubby's 944. And I've chauffeured kids around who didn't seem to complain either. Of course if you're planning a trip ove several hours, that's a different matter ...

I have an 9 months old gal and hanging onto my 944 S2 Cab with teeth and limbs!!!

So far, I have used the Porsche Baby Seat rear facing on the passenger seat, having de-activated the airbag. It will not fit in the back, so don't bother trying. It's tough but one adult just has to sit in the back.

I must say that compared to the non-Porsche baby seats (0-9 months) on the market, which all fit on the passenger seat, you just have to get longer seatbelts fitted, the Porsche one is THE BEST AND SAFEST out there and worth every penny. The babyseat attaches to a base unit (Isofix), which has a steel arm that wrenches the base into the floor. Porsche really got this one right. And even if the 944s don't have the Isofix system, you can still make it fit safely.

Now, my little one's coming up to 9 months and as she get's bigger, she's got to go into the back in a child seat. Now my 944 is a cabrio so it doesn't have the 3-point-seatbelts in the back - and no Isofix fittings!- and I'm sooooo not selling it!!!!

So far, the only childseats I found that did fit safely in the back of a 944 where the "Klippan Futura", the "Mamas & Pappas Sicura", the "BebeComfort Ralley" (which also looks awesome!!!) and one from a company called "Kirkland".

The Porsche Prince is expensive and so lightweight that I fail to see how it could be safe. But if you want to get one, try and go for the VW one. It's the same and way cheaper. The main difference is that instead of bears, it has little VW beatles on it! I think that's cute ...

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2004, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

No THAT seems like someone really did their research. It is about time a woman chimed in.

Most guys would just strap some bungee cords around the toddler and call it done.

You really did the research Ceri.

Cheers and welcome.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
And her other Porsche is a tractor! That's my kind of gal! (note my state)

My friend marty (6'2ish) sat in the back seat behind my friend Jennifer (6'3ish) on a 45 minute drive, and didn't complain at al... He's a nice guy, so maybe he was just being polite

Old 11-17-2004, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: