Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to ike229
Tranny and Differential Fluids 88 924S

Im gonna be ordering some Red Line fluids this weekend for my tranny and differential. I dont have a haynes manual yet (its in the mail) so I am trying to find out how much of each fluid i will need.

Thanks

Last edited by ike229; 10-22-2004 at 12:21 PM..
Old 10-22-2004, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I'm guessing your talking about an automatic, as only autos have transmission fluid and differential fluid. Here goes (per Haynes):

Transmission Fluid (Dexron II):
Fluid Change - 3 Quarts
Complete Fill - 6.9 Quarts

Diiferential (90W) - 1.05 Quarts

At this very moment I'm drainin & refilling my differential. Autos only have a fill hole (17mm Allen wrench needed). I had to use some vinyl tubing drain it... Very slow going... Been like an hour only about 1/2 way done..

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Well that's not fair. There must be a drain hole somewhere. How else would they expect you to get the metal filings out?...

There we go, checked the factory manuals, the reccomended procedure for changing the fluid is removing the pan on the bottom, and changing the filter while you're in there.
You will need a new gasket for the pan, and a new filter.
Reminds me a lot of a chevy van I worked on...
It says to unscrew the lines from the fluid resevoir before doing this?... I'm not 100% familliar with the auto transmissions, this may or may not be necessary.

No sense in just changing the fluid if the filter is full of crap.

Buy my parts!

Last edited by Zero10; 10-22-2004 at 02:59 PM..
Old 10-22-2004, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Yup Zero, easiest way to do the ATF is with removing the pan. Did mine back in the summer, dont remember off the top of my head if I had to remove the reservoir line. I do not believe so though.

The differential fluid was a snap. The biggest PITA was letting it drain. Next time I'll use a big tube to drain it. The stuff was like mud in there, definitely didnt get the whole quart out. I'll let the new fluid mix for a few days and use it like a flush, redrain (hopefully faster this time) and refill.

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Lol, like mud.... That's just not good!
Good to hear somebody's been able to do it =)

Buy my parts!
Old 10-22-2004, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Had to bump for transpan drops, because they pay me the most at work:-D

Make sure you have a big pan to catch the fluid in.

Why don't you get a vaccum pump and pump the diff?

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 10-23-2004, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: