Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Humming sound

OK guys i got my self a new 944 this weekend and have a questions.

There is a humming sound comming from the wheels when i turn the wheel left and right, and was told by the Previous Owner that it is the tires, and that the pressure just isnt right. He said he took it into a dealer, and they said it was not the bearings and told him about the tires. Does this sound viable? I didnt get a chance to change the pressure and drive around, and since im at school, i can't do it any time soon.

By the way the tires are Pireli P6000s if that makes any difference. Thanks alot
Old 10-24-2004, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Does it get better when the tires get hot? Porellis do tend to make some noise when they are cold.

Otherwise, check your PS fluid, lift the car up and get each front wheel off the ground and spin the tires. Some resistance from the brakes is normal, any other grinding or hesitation is indicative of a bad bearing.

also, while the tire is off the ground, see if you can rock the tire by pulling\pushing on the top and bottom of the wheel. if there is play, the bearings are bad.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 10-24-2004, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hum, well i took it on a nice size drive to get it home (8 hours) and it made noise all the way home. It dosent do it when im going in a stright line. I'll have to check when i get home on friday.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Odd.

Glad you found another 44.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

got it inspected, and they said the rear tires down were down to the wear bar. I dont think they were that worn, i looked at them and they didnt seem that bad. Got new tires put on today, we'll see how Noisy it is on the drive home.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: