Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Ok...here's what we got.

I've put some research into the lighting and I can't build the housings with HELLA lights and charge anywhere NEAR what I want. I'm looking at between $300 and $400 JUST for modules, relays, and the wiring. Then the time and effort on the mold for the casing.

I've had a lot of interest, though, tossed at me concerning just housings bored for 90mm lights. So that's one thing that will be up:

Housings. Fiberglass or poly-composite bucket with black weave layed over for "asthetics". Will be paintable. 3/16" clear removable shield. Goign to be very similar to the GT Racing assembly pictured above. Bucket will extend as far back as possibly to provide a mounting surface, if needed, and will be easily trimmed.

USD$250/pair + shipping

Also offered will be:

Housing described above, but with an H1 60mm high beam (good product, but I don't if they're used on anything) and a 60mm projector (OEM Hyundai, Acura, and Chrysler part). Both set in fully adjustable independant modules with a detachable molding to blend them into the bucket. Will come with appropriate adaptive plug and relay to power an independant harness.

USD$400/pair + shipping

Everything will be sold in assemblies...meaning you can take it apart. Surfaces will be paintable and all parts replaceable.

Will be working on pics of product over this next week...if I manage to get some sleep...sometime....

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 11-06-2004, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
... planning on building a prototype
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-06-2004, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ae1969
... planning on building a prototype

Two flashlights and some duct tape??....
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 11-06-2004, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71
Ok...here's what we got.

I've put some research into the lighting and I can't build the housings with HELLA lights and charge anywhere NEAR what I want. I'm looking at between $300 and $400 JUST for modules, relays, and the wiring. Then the time and effort on the mold for the casing.

I've had a lot of interest, though, tossed at me concerning just housings bored for 90mm lights. So that's one thing that will be up:

Housings. Fiberglass or poly-composite bucket with black weave layed over for "asthetics". Will be paintable. 3/16" clear removable shield. Goign to be very similar to the GT Racing assembly pictured above. Bucket will extend as far back as possibly to provide a mounting surface, if needed, and will be easily trimmed.

USD$250/pair + shipping

Also offered will be:

Housing described above, but with an H1 60mm high beam (good product, but I don't if they're used on anything) and a 60mm projector (OEM Hyundai, Acura, and Chrysler part). Both set in fully adjustable independant modules with a detachable molding to blend them into the bucket. Will come with appropriate adaptive plug and relay to power an independant harness.

USD$400/pair + shipping

Everything will be sold in assemblies...meaning you can take it apart. Surfaces will be paintable and all parts replaceable.

Will be working on pics of product over this next week...if I manage to get some sleep...sometime....
If I was you, go post this on Rennlist, you will get more interest...
Old 11-06-2004, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
He tried posting on rennlist to see if there was interest on his exhaust ........... I am sure Mac can tell you how warmly he was received on rennlist.

Maybe this project will be better received.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-07-2004, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

In my cruisings of rennlist I've found that there are three kinds of members there:

Variety A: Very knowledgeable. Complete *******s.
Variety B: Sub-variety of A, only morons.
Variety C: Sub-variety of B, but friendly and willing to help.

I'm not a fan of rennlist, I'll leave it at that. I much prefer smaller communities, anyway.

Old 11-07-2004, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

"m0r0n" is a bad word here?

Also, I had a disagreement with one of the admins there and chose to leave it alone...

Old 11-07-2004, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Lights

Hey mak,

let em know when they are ready, I'm up for a set.

Thanks, John
Old 11-13-2004, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71
32lbs saved in the fc rx7...not sure what the stock 944 component weights are, then I could give a comparison.
Just in case your still wondering what the 944 components weigh:

Each complete headlight assembly weighs 6 lb 4 oz.
The entire lift mechanism, incl motor weighs 7 lb 1 oz.
For a total combined weight of 19 lb 9 oz.

Yes, I was bored............
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 11-13-2004, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Banned

Well, 19lbs is less tan I thought it would be...
Old 11-13-2004, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
so all this to save 9 pounds? hmm.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

this isnt about the weight savings, its about updating the look of the 944. Some people dont like the pop ups. I know i dont, but then again i also dont have the monies to drop on this set.

Hey mac,

I'd put it into a 944 and take pictures and all that good stuff. I'd imagine that people would be more receptive if they could see exactly what it looks like.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

I'm in a tight bind at the moment...which is why I haven't put together a model yet.

Motoboy...I'll you know and send pictures of a setup asap.

Wolf...thank you. That is a bit lighter than what I had in mind but the assembly is a lot simpler than the RX-7's. For reference, the lights, buckets, and shields will weigh about 5lbs.

Seabolt...I'm actually aiming for a combo of both. I want, and like, slick lights...especially on pop-up equiped cars. I don't know, it just looks good to me. But if it didn't save me any weight and offer and up'ed performance level, I wouldn't bother with it.

Old 11-14-2004, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Any progress?
Old 12-28-2004, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

No. My father passed away November 30th. I can't believe I used to think I was short of time before. I didn't even have time to sleep the first week of december.

Most likely, as soon as I fix the Porsche, I'm selling her. If I find time to get the light buckets built before I sell her, I'll make a hard mold for duplicating it.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Sorry to hear the loss of your father. I understand. You take care, and find some time for youself.

John
Old 12-29-2004, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Any progress?
Old 03-23-2005, 12:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/v/vaporware.html
Old 03-23-2005, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

"Vaporware" doesn't apply. I managed to get a bucket built but the car was sold before I could finish the project. Sorry guys.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about your father.

Do you still have all the parts? Maybe someone can pick up this project.

I saw a website somewhere where a guy put S2000 headlights on his... Lamborghini was it? It ended up costing him abut $800 for the parts alone...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, found it, a Pantera...

First Attempt
Second Attemp

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 03-25-2005 at 09:46 AM..
Old 03-25-2005, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: