Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

911 as a daily driver

Okay I need Pelicanite help. I am working on a 73.5T Targa restoration which will probably take another 2 years to complete. Meanwhile I am getting the itch to drive a 911. I have found a 73 T (restored 15 years ago) for $10k with a bunch of extra parts, manuals, etc. I currently drive a 2001 Acura CL to work each day ~ 42miles each way. The car is a comfortable drive, reliable, and absolutely no maintenance. I would end up selling the Acura for as much as I could get the 911 for. This is my mental justification; since I put so many miles on a car depreciation is a killer. So buy the 911 T with the parts that I can use on my current restoration and use it as the daily driver. This way I would get my fix now and have some spare parts. When one of them needs a new engine I will have a spare. The cars are easy to work on compared to modern computer controlled cars.

Here is my problem, I have driven an '80, '84, and '91 911 and wasn't really impressed with the ride. They were all very bumpy and jarring and the performance not that phenomenal compared to a BMW 328 coupe I had driven. The '80 and '91 had nice A/C systems (I live in Texas so we need A/C). So Pelicanites tell me, is an old 911 a good daily driver compared to modern cars or am I just "romanticizin" about the cars and pretending I am Derrick Bell or Hurley Haywood. Interestingly, 2 local Porsche shops told me not to go for the old car. The reliability isn't as good, maintenance much higher, and safety is non-existent compared to a modern car.

Lets here what you think.

Old 11-02-2004, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you need A/C...I think you know the answer.

I have an '87 911 daily driver, 35 mi. each way. I top off the freon in May, and July, and even then the A/C isn't near the quality those big honking Buick's put out.

Bumpy? Yeah they are stiff, but what do you expect, it's a sports car.

JM
Old 11-02-2004, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

uh huh huh you said stiff

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 11-02-2004, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
I would drive a 911 daily. I never understood the point of a weekend car. If I ever get a ferrari, it'll probably be the first ferrari in history to hit the 200k mark...ever...

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 11-02-2004, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
least common denominator

I would suggest you ask this question at the Pelican 911 board.
I would think a 70's 911 would be tough as nails and parts are available... now A/C may be a little weak in any old car of that era.

Makenzie71,
My 944 is my weekend car because daily I drive twenty miles each way on a flat, straight, four lane freeway through bumper to bumper traffic then park in a public lot in downtown Los Angeles for eight hours. Don't really need a 944 to do that.
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I liked my 944 better as a weekend and going out car.

My daily drive is all city...city...city... Really takes the fun out of it somewhat. At night with no traffic or on the open road is much better.

iolguy - sounds like you kinda know the answer. The older you go the less comfort you are getting. What about a new Cayenne?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I had an old 911SC as a daily driver, for a short time. The driving position wasn't optimum, the car wasn't particularly fast, nor handled particularly well. HVAC, well they all basically sucked. All of that changed when I got a 951, car acceleration was couple of notches better, handling was much more predictable, and the car just seemed to fit me much better.

I don't know if later 911's were any better as daily drivers, but for the 911's in the 911SC/951 price range, 951 superior in almost every aspect.

Old 11-03-2004, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I drove a '92 968 and really enjoyed it. Price was pretty good at $9900 (118,000 miles and receipts for work done). I was concerned about longevity of that big 4 cylinder though. I also didn't like the lack of a reverse lockout. And what about parts availability?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

968 is a great bet.

If these engines are cared for over 200k is probably fairly easy.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71
I would drive a 911 daily. I never understood the point of a weekend car. If I ever get a ferrari, it'll probably be the first ferrari in history to hit the 200k mark...ever...
Maybe you'd be interested in seeing "my" other garage, where I keep my daily drivers!!!

(sigh... I'm done dreaming... back to the reality of working for a living.)
Old 11-03-2004, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

In my search I drove 8 - 12 911sc's and Carrers'a and ended up buying the third S2 I test drove (a '90 with 90k miles). It was 1/2 the money if a 911 in similar shape and so much more modern that I could not handle spending more for less. Just before I bought the S2 I drove a well cared for 911sc then a 951 1/2 hour later. I thought I was going to buy the SC, but the 951 convinced me otherwise!

I think the daily driver question depends on your daily drive. For me if you need AC I would go for a '86 and above Carrera or a 944/951/968.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Here's an opinion from the 911 board, I drove a '70 911T as a daily for about eight months, I sold it when my wife and I had our first child, which I regret now (the sale, not the baby). Ride was rough but tolerable, when it ran it made my 20 mile highway drive to work a blast. That is, when it wasn't broken, or over 80 degrees out. Granted, my T was by no means restored, so stuff is bound to break on a 34 year old car. An early 911 that has been properly restored/ maintained can make a reliable driver. A/C will be impotent unless you buy a 964 or newer, unless you invest 2k in a Griffith's update kit. Sounds to me like you already know the answer, keep the Acura, and just speed up the resto on the 73.5. Either that, or come up with the extra cash for a Carrera or later, 911s get more comfortable as they get newer, there's some great deals to be had on 964s if you look.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Another opinion from a multi-Porsche owner: I drove my SC daily for the first 2 years I had it. The car was fun to drive, dead reliable, and decent on gas BUT the car has some drawbacks: the poor heat (not up to Chicago winters, imo), poor AC (actually more a complaint of dates than me - I never use it - but Texas is warmer), and poor cargo capacity for when I stop off to buy something or run errands.

I now have my choice of Porsches to drive and the car I choose most often is the 944. Heat and air as good as the 928, gas mileage as good as or better than the SC, and decent hatch space. It's only drawback is the manual steering when I'm parallel parking, and that's not an issue if you buy the other model years. I don't even mind that it's slower - keeps me out of trouble on te commute.

In the situation you describe, I'd buy a well-maintained high-mileage 944 for a couple grand or so and enjoy it until my project was completed.

Emanuel
Old 11-08-2004, 11:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71
Its because they usually have 2 ferraris. I wouldnt drive a civic daily (thats what the n/a w/ 250k is for), but i would like to have a mint 951, which I would only use sparingly to preserve it.

996 GT3 4 Liter - Basalt Black - gone
Old 11-09-2004, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: