Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

i took mine all apart to check the grooves and steel balls. there is a 50 50 chance that you will assemble the joint so that it doesn't rotate on all three axises. so i would suggest to mark the relationship of the inner assembly with the outter assembly with a line drawn right across them with white out.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

You can easily do it yourself provided you have the correct tool to remove the CV bolts.

I highly recommend the Snap-On tool to remove the bolts - Snap-on part number FTSM8E Do not use a allen wrench\allen head socket to remove the bolts!!

Do clean the bolts completely before trying to remove them. You do not want to strip out a bolt.

If you are doing it yourself, it is cheaper to replace the indivivual joints and boots - but it is more time consuming (and messy). You can replace both axles in about 1 hour.

If you take your old joints apart - remember the large flange on the outer race matches up witht he small flange on the innter race.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 11-11-2004, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Hehe, I remember dis-assembling my CV joints. Yes, you have to be careful with how you re-assemble it, or it will not function correctly, especially if you forget how it goes together! Lost about 30 minutes figuiring it out again, makes me wonder what the inventor of the CV joint was thinking....

Buy my parts!
Old 11-11-2004, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
I have never had any luck pulling the CV's of the shaft.....

FOr the extra bucks the complete axle is worth the time (headaches) saved.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-11-2004, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I got i complete to get the car on the road. then I csn take my time and replace the joints in the one I pull for the other side.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Removing the joints from the shaft is a bit of a PITA, but if you have a jaw type puller, you should be able to remove the inner race (or carrier?...) from the shaft once you remove the clip holding it in place. Mine was stuck on there pretty good, but with a puller, it did come off.

Buy my parts!
Old 11-11-2004, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
When I took my CV joint apart to repack, this is what I found:

I replaced the whole axle (previous post)
Old 11-12-2004, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

the noise has gone away completely yesterday and today???????

Nice pic...
Old 11-12-2004, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I win =)
My groove is about twice that deep.
It just howls on the high-way, and clicks around town. I'm hitting the local NAPA today to try to find a cheap replacement. I have a HUGE discount there (pretty much all parts at cost), so I'll see what I can do =)

Buy my parts!
Old 11-13-2004, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Hmm, went to NAPA, $125/axle, and apparently there are only 6 left in Canada?.. Sounds like a load of s*** to me, but if it's true, there are now only 4 left. I get to pick my axles up on tuesday.

I tried almost every VW cv joint/shaft I could think of, with no luck.

Most of them were more expensive than the porsche one.

Buy my parts!
Old 11-14-2004, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

napa got you the complete axel assymbly with joints for 125?

or is that just the axel with no joints and boots?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

That is $125/axle, including both joints and boots =)
I didn't think I did too badly.

The normal price is $167 or something per axle, but for some reason my discount was not as big as it should have been, perhaps they are already discounted? I usually get 50-80% off.

Buy my parts!
Old 11-15-2004, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

sh*****t. I just paid $226 to Pelican for the same part. The guy a NAPA told me he couldnt get that part.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I'm thinking about replacing my half shafts (axles and CV joints). Should I spring for new assemblies or are rebuilt adequate? Is there anything (other than being assembled incorrectly as mentioned above) that I should look out for?

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 11-22-2004, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Ill tell you what...the whole assymlby was worth it...no mess, and a snap to put in. Less than an hour start to finish.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.

I'm going to buy the whole assembly either way. Should I spring for a new ones are are rebuilt okay?

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 11-22-2004, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

If you buy rebuilt, do NOT buy ARI rebuilt shafts. I had never heard of the company before, but I picked up a set rather cheap. The axles were the wrong length, so I dug in and pulled the joints off, and installed them on my axles. Once I got them apart, I found that ALL of the races were already scored, and some of them were pitted BADLY. Next, I couldn't get the joints apart. The ball bearings that were installed were too large, and the inner/outer races were not matched sets, the angles on the grooves were different. Took me the better part of a day to re-match some new ball bearings, and match up some of my old races with some of the new ones.
I'm going to give the shop royal s*** when I return half of their new axles as cores.

Buy my parts!
Old 11-22-2004, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Knew you could do it Mambo.

They just SOUND scary.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Its sure intimidating...

Now the fun part. Im going to rebuild the one I took out for the other side. But I can take my time since its not broken .....yet.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Let us know how that goes. I'm sure I have that repair in my future.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: