Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

CV joint or Complete Axel Assymb?

Well.. I have the infamouse clacking sound coming from the passanger rear. CV joints im sure.

I cant do this myself, so Im going to have to go to a shop.

Do i get just the joints and the boots replaced, or the complete axel replaced?

I can bring my own parts to the shop I go to.

Thanks for any help. Man, if its not one thing, its something else.

Dave
Old 11-10-2004, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I would think that as long as your axles are fine, then you just have to do the CV joints.

Speaking of complete axle assemblies--I've seen prices on them range from $70 to $250 per axle. Is there a difference in the parts or is this just capitalism in action?

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 11-10-2004, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The joint kits are $86 from pelican. The complete assembly is $226 Which includes 2 joints and boot kits. Im guessing it just vaires.

Accoring to the shop, The labor to replace the joints will make up for the cost in parts just to replace the whole assebmly.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
There is a thread over on Rennlist right now (I know, I mentioned another board on this one, sorry), however the title of it is mis-spelled, it's spelled CJ joints. I'm trying to find out some model numbers for VW CV shafts that fit our cars. There is a fellow on there who managed to get a pair of CV shafts for $139US, which if you ask me is quite a deal! Almost all of the cv joints/shafts out there are made by Lobro, unless they are rebuilt shafts. If you see one by GKN, that is just Lobro's parent company. As long as all the shafts you are comparing are made by the same company, it is just capitalism in action =)

Buy my parts!
Old 11-10-2004, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I saw that thread over there. That would surly be a deal.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rmills944 Send a message via Yahoo to Rmills944
A shop will charge you around $800 for both axles - just a warning. It's much cheaper if you can find someone to help you do it yourself.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rmills944 Send a message via Yahoo to Rmills944
A shop will charge you around $800 for both axles - just a warning. It's much cheaper if you can find someone to help you do it yourself.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I don't know your level of tech skills mambo but the axles are not that difficult.

Messy, a little time consuming, but not that difficult.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Zero10
There is a thread over on Rennlist right now (I know, I mentioned another board on this one, sorry), however the title of it is mis-spelled, it's spelled CJ joints. I'm trying to find out some model numbers for VW CV shafts that fit our cars. There is a fellow on there who managed to get a pair of CV shafts for $139US, which if you ask me is quite a deal! Almost all of the cv joints/shafts out there are made by Lobro, unless they are rebuilt shafts. If you see one by GKN, that is just Lobro's parent company. As long as all the shafts you are comparing are made by the same company, it is just capitalism in action =)

(not meaning to show any disrespect for our forum sponsor by mentioning another vendor)

Pep Boys can order the complete halfshafts, for a total of less than $180 for both sides. The only caveat is that they seem to have the wrong length halfshafts on them (too short). I had to swap the new CV assemblies onto my existing halfshafts, then return the new halfshafts and old CV's for the core charge reimbursement.

Mambo, this is a job you could easily do yourself. Shops seem to charge a bunch of money for this job, I don't know why.

Are there any fellow Pelican folks nearby to you that could help?

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 11-10-2004, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The quote I got was for replacing the axel. Labor only...

$85 each side.

The list price on the parts is $590...but pelican has them for $226 each side complete.

Id like to do it myself, but im a little unsure. Not many 944 guys down this way if i get stuck. None of my friends are mechanically inclined at all.
I can do brakes, oil changes and minor stuff, but im a little weary when it comes to joints and bearings and timing belts. I think it may be worth the money just to get them done if I supply the parts.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

You can do it yourself, just read up on Clark's garage (http://www.clarks-garage.com), and you'll be good to go.
Make sure you get an 8mm triple-square bit for the CV bolts though.
the CV's are so easy, 6 bolts on each end, and they pull out.

Buy my parts!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yeh, even easier than brakes imho.

Shop around for the whole shaft. You COULD just do the bad side.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

ok...Ive been reading clarks garage on this. Im going to tackle it myself.

Im going to replace the bad side as a whole, rather than taking the joints out. Then that will give me time to redo the joints on the shaft I take out and put it in the other side.

It said to "Using the paint marker or nail polish, mark the orientation of the drive axles before removal. "

If Im putting in a new complete shaft, will the orientation matter? Or how will I know on the new shaft?

Also..do the new axel assymblys come already packed with grease?

Last edited by mambodave; 11-10-2004 at 02:36 PM..
Old 11-10-2004, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Nope, orientation is irrelevant, at least with a new shaft. Sometimes with old shafts, you want to turn them around, since the 2 joints make slightly different angles, it will wear different patterns into the bearing carriers when you turn them around, sometimes you get more life out of them if you do this.

Clark's reason for putting that in there was just to make sure everything stays exactly as it was before removal. He's a very thorough guy.

Buy my parts!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Biggest difficulty for me was finding the triplesquare "socket". I got one eventually from napa but then found a full set of four in Autozone for about $13.

The area will be dirty so you might want to spray it down and put some penetrating oil on there the day before just for insurance. But again, really not a hard job...

I give it Two Wrenches.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Does the shaft just come out after I take all bolts out? Or do I need to do something special?
Old 11-10-2004, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 944freak
The shaft doesnt even go inside. Its a really straightforward job. It should be really easy.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Thanks.. The parts should be here by mid week. Ill give it a shot.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

easy job, just replaced mine in under 3 hours. make sure you have the right tool and clearance. your major obstacle is staying calm under the car, in tight quarters.

i got mine from a local autoparts store for $65 for complete axle assembly. good luck.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
I bought my half shaft from PP and installed it myself... it was my first 944 project, and I put a new flange shaft seal in also. It only took an hour to do the whole shebang in the dead of winter. Not hard at all, but be careful with CV bolts. They're pretty trixie.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: