Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rear hatch removal... a bit stupid

Uhhhhh, guys... looking at the Haynes manual and Clarks garage, there are these instructions for a pretty straight-forward job:

Remove the rear hatch as follows:

- Disconnect the rear window defroster wires (one on each side).
Disconnect the rear hatch shocks.
- Lower the rear hatch but do not allow it to latch. You may place a piece of wood between the back of the hatch and the body to prevent the hatch from latching.
- From inside the car, remove the bolts that hold the rear hatch hinges to the body of the car (2 hinges - 2 bolts per hinge). On early cars, there's a cover over the hinges. On later cars, the rear header panel will have to be removed.
- Have someone assist you to lift the rear hatch off of the car.

I couldn't find a thing about the procedure in the workshop manual, but anyhow.... if you follow the above steps on my 1988 951 the hatch will not come of. Why? There is still a cable running from the car to the wiper motor...

Now, i know this sounds silly, but a) why isn't this in any of the instructions b) why am i so stupid i tried to take the hatch of, discovering an electric cable still hold it to the car... and most of all c) how can i disconnect the damn thing and get the hatch of.

.... uhhh?
Old 11-13-2004, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

take the nut holding the wiper blade assembly off and the motor assembly will lay down out of the way.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ok, but it seems that tube in which the wires for the motor run, is glued to the hatch... this way it doesn't matter if the wiper motor is detached or not...
Old 11-13-2004, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Tube is metal and indeed attached to the window, not for removal. The answer was a LOT more simple. The wiring for the motor runs into the rear panel, where you can easily disconnect it. The connector fits nicely through the hole in the chassis, and this way the whole wiper motor including wiring can be removed and installed again.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: