Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
Exclamation question on brake bleeding

if you replace all 4 calipers and in the process let the MC go dry do you have to bleed the MC too?

reason being is im using a vacuum pump and ive been bleeding the rear caliper forever and fluid still has a lot of bubbles with it coming threw the tube to the pumps resivuor.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

i think you may be getting bubbles from all the other lines in the car. did you replace them one at a time and bleed the lines, or did you replace them all and then start bleeding?

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 11-16-2004, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
if the m/c went completely dry, or even mostly, you need to treat it like a complete system install. Bleed the hell out of everything. It's probably not necessary but they are your brakes.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 11-16-2004, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It helps to inject some brake fluid into the mc before installing the resevoirs. Leave the lines off of the calipers and inject some fluid there from the mc end. Reconnect the lines to the calipers, then the mc. Refill the resevoirs, then bleed the system thoroughly. Worked for me every time.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
i replaced all 4 capilers then started bleeding. the brakes do work but they bite late.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I did the same thing a little bit ago. Just keep at it. remember the order

Left rear
Right rear
Left front
Right front

Get another person out there to give you a hand. Have them step on the brake, then open the valve till nothing else comes out, close it, and then tell them to lift their foot. Keep doing that until No air comes out. If you keep going for a while and air is STILL comming out, do the other lines, then start back at the left rear again and go until no air comes out.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Isn't it passenger rear, driver rear, pass front, driver front? From farthest to closest? (Left is always the driver's side to my thinking.)

P.S. Are you certain that the bubbles aren't coming from an imperfect seal of the hose on the bleeder valve with the vacuum pump?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

ya passenger rear, driver rear... Furthers away to closes. Left being the passenger side if your looking at the car from infront.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

well i bled the system for 2 hours straight last night.... i still saw bubbles, but hopefully it was just from a bad seal like taz said. i guess ill find out today!

Old 11-17-2004, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Speed bleeder screws make the whole deal a hell of a lot easier and are cheap.

Got those sheist?
Old 11-17-2004, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

nope, i dont have those. but i was thinking that my pedal is out of adjustment. before i did this job the brakes would bite low to the floor, but i had a seized caliper and thought that was it.

but when they do bite they bite pretty hard... its just on the floor...

Old 11-17-2004, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71
if the m/c went completely dry, or even mostly, you need to treat it like a complete system install. Bleed the hell out of everything. It's probably not necessary but they are your brakes.
I'm with Makenzie.....bleed the ***** out of everything!
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 11-17-2004, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If you are using a vacuum pump, is it possible that you are "vacuuming" air past the seals?
I have always been afraid of them - I prefer to pressure bleed, and I have found it works better to bleed a front and a rear at the same time, as it allows full travel of brake pedal.
Done properly, it is a 3 person job, and the procedure is:
-pump gently 2-4 strokes
-hold pedal pressure, say "holding, open"
-open 1 front and 1 rear bleeder
-when pedal goes to floor, say "down, close"
-close bleeders, pump, repeat.....
Old 11-17-2004, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Speed bleeders all around would be about $30.

After doing it once with them I am hooked.

It still is kind of a two person job but not really necessary.

I am interested in Gumball's theory of overvacuuming....sound plausable to me. Anyone ever have this happen?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I suppose it is possible in theory to "over vacuum", but after using one I must say probably not, the seal over the bleeder is made with grease.

I was much more pleased with my rigged up bicycle pump and tire valve version of a pressure bleeder.

I should try speed bleeders.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
With vacuum bleeding, the bubbles are probably being sucked from around the threads of the bleed valves, especially if you have firm pedals. That's why I hate vacuum bleeding the brakes..you never know when you are done. For $46, I suggest the pressure bleeder Pelican Parts sells. It's worth it. http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/944M/POR_944M_brakes_pg14.htm#item79

Old 11-17-2004, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: