Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Age old timing belt question

Wife has an '85 944 & loves it. Timing belt obviously broke a couple of years ago & I'm tired of $2000 worth of repairs every year. This being said, I have a LOT of experience with American engines, V-8's & 4's & have done several timing belt replacements. Just how hard is this? I have another head from a shop here in town as well as a new belt, got plenty of metric tools too. All things being equal, I don't understand the problems with these belts as to why they don't have any life span & as soon as I can get a parts car I plan on making a V-8 Ford swap since it seems no one makes the stuff. Any kind of help is appreciated.

Old 11-25-2004, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My reluctance

I too have years of shade tree mechanic experience and don't shy away from many things automotive. One winter, when the car was up on blocks for its 6 month hiatus I succesfully rebuilt the 700R4 (4L60) automatic tranny from my 85 Vette. However, the thing that stopped me from doing this job on my 85.5 944 n/a is the $500 special tool required to set the correct belt tension. I live pretty far from population centers where it might be possible to rent or borrow the tool. I have read opinions of the "Kricket" tool which is sold as a low cost substitute for the Prosche tool, and decided to pay a Porsche dealer to do the job. Of course it cost me big bucks, but I feel that the peace of mind was worth it.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The kricket tool will tension the belts just fine, the porsche tool was another grossly over engineered product by porsche. The two have been tested side by side before and the kricket is just as effective. The job is not hard. The belts take a beating from what i hear, due to block expansion (heat), while the belt doesnt expand. After awhile the belt gives out. Clarks-garage.com has a good writeup for doing the belts.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Great site, thanks! Seems kinda straight forward, guess I'll give it a shot
Old 11-25-2004, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

timing belt is not that hard, just dont rush through it, and remember how every roller goes, cuz if you reverse the side the flange is on problems could result,,

Old 11-25-2004, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: