Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Funny Noises

ok I got two Noises that I started hearing yesterday and just wanted to get some opinions.

First one is when I start the car up I can hear a ticking comming from the engine. If I rev the engine up, the ticking speeds up and as it drops, the ticking slows down. After the car warms up, it does go away

Second Noise seems like its comming from right below the middle of the car. Just seems like a lound vibration.

The first noise i have no clue, i was thinking its either the lifters or god forbid engine knock. The second Noise i think its just the cat, but im not really sure.

Thanks alot guys

Old 11-26-2004, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
If ticking, it could be fuel injectors... mine make some sound, and it took me awhile to get the idea of knock or valve probelms out of my head...
Old 11-26-2004, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

A ticking noise when cold that goes way when warmed may also be an
exaust leak. pipes will expand when warmed to seal itself off.

second noise could be a loose heat shield or a catalist issue. if it changes with engine revs it may be a clutch or torqe tube bearing noise.
1987 944S- GT3 BODY CONVErSION RED/BLACK( sold )
2003 MERCEDES E500 Sport "Einfarbig"
Old 11-26-2004, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

you could also be getting a ticking noise that goes away when warm if your timing belts are loose. happened to me when i first got my car. as the engine warms, the engine expands and the belts tighten. my belts were nearly destroyed. it was a close call.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 11-26-2004, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Ok so far what i have gathered is i should inspect my exhaust.

As for the timing belt, it was changed ~ 6k miles ago, and 4k miles ago was taken in to get it retensioned (all done by P.O. w/ reciepts from a Porsche Dealer), think it may have come loose?

Clutch - The car is an auto, i'd imagine that its not a clutch.

Thanks for the input, any other opinions let me know.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The damper that connects the engine to the drive shaft on the automatics does seperate just as the rubber in the original stock clutch's seperate. You would hear a heck of a low frequency rattle coming from the back side of the engine unless you have power to it. A loud ticking on the top of the engine is a lifter.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-27-2004, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
seabolt... WFIW I'm dealing with the same issue. (well, other than it being difficult to diagnose sounds over the web. mine is like a "ruuung ruuung ruuung ruuung".. lol)

anyways.. mechanic figures its either a wheel bearing or yup, the exhaust.. heat shield or something.. and my PO did put a goofy-ass-too-loud-sets-off-car-alarms-driving-by muffler and pipe up there. But I didnt consider it a drivability/safety issue, so i'm putting it off till after the holiday spending season.

let me know what comes of it. sounds like we're in the same auto 944 minority.

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ill definantly let you know. I know i've got a Humming sound comming around when im taking corners so i was going to do the wheel Bearings. Ill let you know what happens when its all said and done.

Old 11-28-2004, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: