Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
924 as a retirement gift?

My father is retiring next summer from 35+ years as a physician in the midwest. My siblings and I are so happy for him!

Many years ago he owned a 1977 924 that he bought new from Capital Import Autos in Milwaukee, WI.

I had this crazy idea of buying him a 924 from that vintage as a present for his retirement.

What is the price range for a 924 in decent condition that is worthy of giving to my dad? Any good sources?

Also I'm not a big fan of the original wheels, do 944 cookie cutters fit a 924?

Thoughts for a fellow Pelican?

Thanks.
Adam

Old 01-03-2005, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Very nice thought.

I would give him a picture of the car instead.

There is a reason why he unloaded the 924.

If you want to give him a car ...........give him your SC.

Spend the money on something HE really wants......... It will take some digging. Parents are good at keeping secret "what they really want" from us kids.

www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 01-03-2005, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Be very carefull - your dad may end up spending YOUR INHERITANCE on fixing the car!!!

I strongly recommend heeding ae1969's idea - a photo.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Heh, Heh....like I said crazy idea!

For very similar reasons he doesn't want my SC either!! I'm spending my kid's inheritance on it!

I was actually looking on ebay for old sales/advertising materials of the 924 to frame for him and then got on the thought of the real thing....
Old 01-03-2005, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
If he had a really sentimental attachment to the car, I'd say buy him another one. Get something that you know is in good shape, something he can drive and have fun with on the weekends.

Then again, if he was that attached to the car in the first place, he'd probably have bought another by now. Maybe a poster would be the way to go.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Take him to some Porsche Concourses in the spring and early summer. After that I think you'll know whether to buy him one or not.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
thats a cool idea! maybe you should get a really ragged out one so hell have something to do... and it can also be used as a bonding tool if you work on it with him. and if he doesnt like it you wouldnt pay much so not much loss there...

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
adam - i think its a great idea..

not sure about 924 prices.. but a solid 944 should be between 4 and 5..

do want to find a good deal and put some money into it, or just buy it and bring it out to him?

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Get him a 924S that matches the color scheme of the car he had. Much less problematic than a 924, and not nearly as much to repair/restore.

IMHO buying a 924 for someone is like saying you hate them

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 01-03-2005, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Brando
Get him a 924S that matches the color scheme of the car he had. Much less problematic than a 924, and not nearly as much to repair/restore.

IMHO buying a 924 for someone is like saying you hate them
That last comment really made me laugh out loud, which then cause my wife to get suspicious what I was looking at!

I agree about a 924S being a better idea than a 924. The 924S is basically the same as a 944 without the hips, whereas the 924 is.... not!! One will set you back anything from $2-5K. They were made between 1986 and 88 (I think) but look like the older 924.

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944
Old 01-03-2005, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the advice all! I think it maybe a bit of a crackpot idea but I continue to monitor prices...I agree the 924S maybe the way to go...we'll see....
Old 01-04-2005, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

It amazes how much the 924 gets dumped on by those who both have never driven a decent example and also complain about "snobbish 911 owners" looking down on 944's...

A very good example of a 924 can be had for $3-4k. The trick is to find one. The great thing is that the maintainence on a solid example is pratically zero. Also, the stock 14" wheels can be switched out with the optional 15" BBS style wheels. Or, if you're lucky enough to find an early car with 5-lug 4 wheel disc brakes, then you can use phone dials, c2 wheels, boxster wheels, the list goes on- cookie cutters, however, will not fit.

The 924S is much more refined and smoother to drive, but it also lacks the raw sports car feel of the early 924's. It would come down to a personal opinion though. The 924S has a friendlier power band for driving in traffic and you can find nice examples for not much more than nice early 924 examples (~$4-6k) and nicer examples are easier to find since they are already a decade newer. The other tradeoffs are much increased maintainence costs.

I don't know your dad, but if he is an enthusiast and wants to play at some PCA events, I think either would be a great gift.

Best of luck,
nick
Old 01-04-2005, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Nick-
He loved his 924 and has been an enthusiast of the total Porsche marquis for longer then I have walked this earth. He loved it when I bought mine....His only big complaint about his 77 924 was lack of power. He loved the sporting feel and raw sports appeal but always mentioned that he wished it had more guts...
I understand that the newer 924S has more 944 like power but with a trimmer body....I'll keep looking and will certainly post for advice as the year goes on...

Adam
Old 01-04-2005, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

You could consider a 924 turbo if he likes the raw feel and wants power. They are getting rare because of those two attributes but nice examples can still be found for the same price as a 924S. They can be maintainence intensive in the beginning to get the bugs out, but afterward they stay very reliable. Sounds like he would probably enjoy any of these models though!

nick
Old 01-04-2005, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
So this is cyberspace right, land of crack pot dreams and playing out fantasies....To continue the madness....what are your thoughts on a specimen such as this?

From the description, taken with a huge helping of salt and disbelief it actually seems like a good canvass to start from...

Ebay 924

and cheap!

Endulge me fellas...

Adam
Old 01-05-2005, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Sure we can't convince you to up the model year by ten...say a nice 87?

The old ones really do best with a v8 conversion (***ducking****)

Hey, I have an idea....how bout a nice 928! Now THAT is a good retired Dr.s project car!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6432&item=4515085125&rd=1
Old 01-05-2005, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
My Dad is an awesome physician, truly the field will miss him but I wouldn't want to get him a non-running vehicle, his automotive mechanical skills are shall we say undeveloped....Little projects to keep him busy are one thing but I'd want something running.

I actually thought something I could get to tinker with for 6 months and "clean-up" before I give to him would be ideal, such as the aforementioned 924 in Ohio....
Old 01-05-2005, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Consider taking him on a trip to Hershey during the Swap meet in April.. you will:
A. find out if he wants Porsche ownership
B. be able to see which one peaks his interest
C. Purchase a good example there.

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 01-07-2005, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: