Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Comeau Racing

There might be another variable here. We grounded the float level sender wire AFTER going to key 2, and AFTER starting it and the light wouldn't go out. We grounded the white/yellow wire at the flat 8 pin connector in the pass. footwell and it stayed off after we started it.
SOOOO, we grounded the wire in the engine compartment BEFORE starting it and it stayed off after starting the car. In other words, the parameter has to be met (ground) before the key is turned?

Comeau Racing Enterprises, Inc. www.comeauracing.com
We do only 924S, 944's, 968's all day, every day.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89-944NA View Post
I had my clutch replaced a few years ago, and they did not get the master ground completely tight, which caused some rather weird indications and problems. As a result, the lasting problem is the the oil level indicator light comes on when the car moves.

I first thoought that it was a bad oil level sender in the pan, changed it, still have the problem. Next came a new ground wire from the sender to the pan, still have the problem. Then it was a new wire from the sender to the DME. Still have the problem. So we tested the old sender, it was ok. The wiring was connected to the old sender, and the sender was then attached to the chassis. Drove the car, slammed the gears, no light came on.

The current fix was to remove both the Master Caution and the Oil Level lights, not a good thing.

Can anyone help?????
01-13-2005, 08:19 AM

Great photo Phil!

2005 was a good year.

John
Old 09-12-2011, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

I have been chasing this problem for a few weeks. Does your grounding solution solve the problem so the sensor functions as designed or are you just disabling the lights?
Old 01-28-2019, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblobner View Post
I have been chasing this problem for a few weeks. Does your grounding solution solve the problem so the sensor functions as designed or are you just disabling the lights?
Installed a different level sensor. Didn't solve the light issues.

Can anyone verify that the sensor creates a ground when the oil level is full?
Old 02-05-2019, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I can't verify but based on what I read above, if the sender / switch is high enough (not "full" but at its own limit) then the ground is completed and the light is off. If the oil level is too low, the switch won't ground and the light will go on.

This is pretty standard wiring for Porsche senders, so I'm going to guess this is the same here. But again, I'm just speculating. I'm having an intermittent light also so wondering what others are finding. Suspect my cluster, as there are other lights that go on and off (flash intermittently) from time to time, which is definitely not normal.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Problem SOLVED

Picked up a used instrument cluster swapped out the odos and installed. Proproblem is solved.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: