Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to 944nuance
1988 944 Blown Head Gasket? or worse....?

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum but i figured i would give it a try seeing i am gonna be needing some advice coming up. I bought a 1988 Porsche 944 (Auto) in October that is in great condition. When i bought it, here is a list of the things that had been worked on within the last year.

New water pump
All hoses and clamps replaced
New Paint
New Tires 2 10" Subwoofers w/ 280w MTX amp
New Brakes Head work
Thicker Stabilizer Bar New fuel Rail
New Bushings New spark plugs
3.5" Header on Exhaust
2.5" Cat back system

I bought the car for $3500 bucks. It was a project car for a dad and his son and the kid decided he wanted a truck instead.... crazy.. I think i got a pretty good deal. Anyone disagree?

Okay, well now heres my problem. When I got the car, there was a tiny oil leak on the rear head. Evidently, they had just worked on the heads and when the mechanic put the rear head gasket back on it wasnt tight enough. I made the mistake of waiting two weeks before getting it checked out (only driving it a few times a week) and one evening i left to go to the store, and it started billowing smoke and my emergency brake light came on and when i opened the hood, there was oil everywhere. We came to the conclusion that since it was the head gasket that wasnt tight, it just was under too much pressure, and blew, causing oil to go everywhere. I am hoping that it is only the head gasket but I still have yet to get the money to take it to a mechanic. Hopefully someone has some insight or opinion about this. Sorry it was such a long thread. Thanks for you guys time.

Also, my power windows don't work at all. Someone said its the motor but I'm not sure. How would i get to it and replace it? And where could i get the parts?

thanks...
Old 01-25-2005, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ok.....hhmmm..

Have you checked the oil level? Are you sure it is oil everywhere and not brake fluid?

Does the oil have coolant in it or vice versa?

Was the car smoking from the tailpipe when driving?

Does this sound more like a rear main seal guys?

Search for the window answer on this forum. It is likely just the switches or a fuse. The motors are very durable but do need some maintanence.

Welcome to the board!
Old 01-26-2005, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Clarks Garage - Window Troubleshooting Usually just the contact switches..

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

oil...

i know its oil. the car when i checked after it blew, didnt have a drop of oil in it. i had checked it two or three days before though and it had enough oil. i dont know if there is coolant in the oil or vice versa. About it smoking, when you started up the car, it would smoke for about 15 seconds out of the tail pipe, but that was just burning off the oil that had leaked. Right now when i turn the car on, the emergency light is still on and the engine just makes a clicking noise. im not exactly sure what the best way would be to go about checking to see if it is the rear main seal or how expensive that is. if anyone could help me with that i would appreciate it. As for the windows, ill check that link thanks a lot. okay well thanks for you guys help... if you think of anything else or any more advice let me know please... feel free to email me at offblack07@wmconnect.com if you would like.... have a nice day
Old 01-26-2005, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If it is JUST a head gasket, that really isn't that big of a deal. Especially since you shut it off immediatley.

You could probably do the job in a day, toughest part is doing all the belts and tensioning....oh, and removing the exhaust man....ok, maybe not simple but not a complete tragedy.

Wish I could tell you a simple way to check exactly which seal went.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've seen a bunch of blown head gaskets and oil everywhere is NOT one of the symptoms. Blown head gaskets involve a loss of coolant and an overheating situation.

I've had engines blow oil because there was too much crankcase pressure. This typically is due to the rings not seating. The oil pan gasket is the first to go - a very noticeable small bulge somewhere. Then it can blow oil up thru the dipstick.

If you noticed a minor amount of oil on the head, I would expect it came from the cam tower. I would spend some time to try and ascertain where the oil came from - is there a spray pattern on the underside of the hood?
Old 01-29-2005, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Re: oil...

Quote:
Originally posted by 944nuance
i know its oil. the car when i checked after it blew, didnt have a drop of oil in it.
And

Quote:
Originally posted by 944nuance
Right now when i turn the car on, the emergency light is still on and the engine just makes a clicking noise.
Call the towing company because YOUR CAR IS DEAD!!!!!!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-29-2005, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Re: Re: oil...

Call the towing company because YOUR CAR IS DEAD!!!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

why do you say that? i need a little more specification.. okay so it is probably not the head gasket.. any clues guys?
Old 01-31-2005, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

oil

On the cam tower, on the end next to the firewall, there is a plate that is held on with 4 bolts that have 10mm heads. Check and make sure that all 4 are on there, and are snug. You don't have to put a lot of torque on them.
Did the car start making a lot noise before you shut it down(knocking and clattering)?
Where are you located in GA? I'm sure there is someone near you that is also on Pelican that take a look at your car.
It dosen't at all sound like a head gasket problem.
As far as the power windows, sounds like the relay. If you need one, let me know, I have several used ones in good working order.
Todd

I have tons of spare parts, let me know what you need.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
No oil ...............

I can see you loosing oil from the camshaft tower.......... camshaft housing seal or the cork seal on the rear of the tower........ but this would of created a horrible oil burning smell over a number of days........... Unless you completely ignored these warning signs.......... I can't see you burining off/leaking the entire oil supply.

If the head was not torqued properly you would have coolant burning off out the tail pipe. FRANKLY THIS WOULD OF BEEN EXTREMELY OBVIOUS. Oil mixing with coolant etc...etc.... not good.

........ no way a rear main seal would cause oil being splattered everywhere.

My guess........... you ran this engine dry (no oil). Leaking somewhere? Then you spun a rod........... CRACKED SOMETHING SHOT OIL EVERYWHERE.............

and now you are left with Socal's suggestion. Call a tow truck.

It does not look good regardless. No oil = very bad.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 02-01-2005, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

all right, thanks guys, i was afraid it might be bad... im gonna try and check the camshaft tower today, i need to find a diagram of where it is and stuff to make sure i do it right. If you have anymore ideas, or if anyone knows of a good porsche mechanic in GA i could talk to, either post here or email me @ offblack07@wmconnect.com

thanks
Old 02-02-2005, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

www.clarks-garage.com
Old 02-02-2005, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: