Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to pokey
New rings?

How much should it cost to have new rings installed in my '87 924S? I just got a chance to tinker after the car sat in the garage for a while, and I'm only getting 60 pounds compression. I'm going to have a leakdown test done, just to be on the safe side. As an update, I did the timing and balance belts, had the head gone over (new exhaust valves), and my timing marks and belt tension are right (Kricket gauge). I've got spark (new coil, plugs, wires, cap and rotor as well), I'm getting fuel, and it doesn't run.
1955 BMW R69
1999 Range Rover Callaway #011 of 220 (Yeah, as in Callaway Corvette...)
Old 01-31-2005, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AznDrgn
EXPENSIVE!!!! You might as well rebuild the engine while you are in there. The pistons have to come out of the top of the block so you open the pan up and disconnect the rods and then take the head off and push the pistons up through the top. Replace the rings and bearings and then install is the opposite of dissassembly.
'78 Porsche 924 NA- RIP
'89 Porsche 944 S2 - Parted

Looking for a nice 944S for a daily driver.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Hmm, you should get about 60psi with no rings...
I think you'll probably find leaky valves.

Even on 60psi, it should sort-of run. It should idle, but make next to no power...

FWIW, my subaru has about 40-80psi on all 4 cylinders (should be 170+), and it still runs, lol, I drive it every day.

Buy my parts!
Old 01-31-2005, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You have to be careful re-ringing a 944 engine. You should measure the cylinders carefully to see if they are out of round, or the surface of teh cylinders is scratched or scored. (FYI a good cylinder should be a dull grey and smooth as glass - shiny spots are bad)

Based on the condition of your cylinders, then you can make an informed decision about where to go with the motor next.

Definately get a leak down test on the motor. A leakdown can frequently reveal where your problem is:

Example: Cyl #2 has excessive leakdown, 1 & 3 are fine:

Air leak heard through airbox: Problem in intake valve - fix head
Air leak heard through exhaust: Exhaust valve problem - fix head
Air Leak heard through oil filler tube and\or dipstick tube: Piston or cylinder\rings worn or damaged. Teardown engine
Air bubbles noted in coolant reservoir: Head gasket failure or cracked cylinder: Remove head and investigate further.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 01-31-2005, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pokey
While th head was off, I inspected the cylinders. All were satin grey, no ridges and perfectly round. I, of course, couldn't get to the very bottom of the holes, as the pistons are in the way, but everything else was perfect.
1955 BMW R69
1999 Range Rover Callaway #011 of 220 (Yeah, as in Callaway Corvette...)
Old 02-01-2005, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: