Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exclamation 2 Week "kick in the pants" Challenge!!

We all have them.

Little projects that we want to do but haven't yet.

Pick one! Something small or low cost is fine.

Take a before pic if you can.

Finish by Feb 16th.

Write about it here!

Any Takers?!

Good luck and get it in gear!

-----------------------------------------
I am going to finally finish my custom door speaker installation...it is about 3/4 done and I just have to finish it up
Old 02-01-2005, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I think this is a great idea but will need to wait till my day off on Thurs to get a start pic in daylight and to actually think of / start something, won't be a prob plenty to do!
Old 02-01-2005, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Alright... there's this one little thing I've been meaning to do. If it works out alright, Maybe I'll be someone's hero

I've got a lot of slop in my shifter and have been too lazy to pick up the brass tubing I need to do FRWilk's repair. So, What i'm going to do... is take the lever off and bust out the welder. I'm going to try to build up the metal and then file it back down into a cylinder of the right size.

Worst case scenereo, i totally fudge up this lever and have to buy a new one. But if it works, then woohoo
Old 02-01-2005, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Edit: just saw the last line of your post.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hey Bryan...I would love to see how that shifter turns out. I would make that my next project.

Strath....no excuses! Pictures are not a requirement!

Get er dun!
Old 02-01-2005, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
I just did one this weekend, I replaced the driver's side axle, changed my gear oil, repacked my front wheel bearings, and replaced the front brake hoses. Damn do my brakes feel good now! I can't wait to feel what they're like when I'm done with the rears! Somehow I forsee brake line fitting frustration in my future however. I still can't decide if I want new front calipers or just let it go but at least I've had them off so if I do get new ones there shouldn't be any surprises.

I got some appalling black sludge out of the clutch slave cylinder when I bled it, should I be worried? Or is the bore some non-corroding metal?

nate
Old 02-01-2005, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
I'm going to have the engine out of my 951, and all of the damage/worn items assessed and ordered.

Well, that and my rear speakers replaced.

Rather conservative goals I know, but after my 86 burned, I started setting my sights low.

Buy my parts!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If you get that done by Feb 16th my hat will be off to you.

I just put the painted grills on my front speaker enclosures now I just have to upholster the bottom pockets.....
Old 02-02-2005, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If you mean me, I think it's a pretty simple job. I'm changing the rear windows, so they already have to come out, so the quarter panel trim should come off really easy.

The engine is _going_ to be out this sunday. I'm dead set on it

I was going to make some custom door panels, started on them for my 86, but now I guess I"ll have to finish them for my 87.

What are you putting in your door panels?...

Mine were going to re-use the stock arm-rest, and the early 944 pockets, so I could build a pod for 2 6 1/2" speakers in the front, and I would mount the tweeters (they're component speakers) up where the window switches normally would me. On mine, I was relocating the window switches to the center console, since that's more convenient anyways. I would then re-mount the mirror switch into my door panel. Would be a much cleaner installation I think.

How are you doing yours?... I was going to go to home depot and pick up some 1/8" board for the back of the panel, then fiberglass everything else, using the original panels to make some molds.

Buy my parts!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I used half inch mdf so that the speakers would clear the inside of the doors easily. I want to be able to upgrade in the future.

I will get all the pics together for next week.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The whole door panel backing is made from MDF?... it must weigh a ton. Or did you just build speaker pods?...

I considered making the back from fiberglass, to keep everything the same, but I'l worried I could never get it really flat.

Buy my parts!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I just put them over the top of the panel.....I will get the pics (worth a thousand words you know).....

MDF
router out holes
with vinyl over
Then insert speakers

Again \\\ I will get the pics.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to drfatz
Not sure if this counts but I just replaced the entire front suspension including A-arms, bushings, sway bar, hubs, rotors, brake lines, calipers and installed coilovers. Also I removed the rear torsion bars and installed coilovers in the rear, a new sway bar, and new rear lines. Finally I changed the steering wheel, master cylinder and vacuum servo. This was all completed between Christmas and new years
-Just installed: M030 Suspension with turbo A-arms and hubs. Big Reds with rotors and stainless lines. Turbo sway bars front and rear. Boxter wheels, turbo mater cylinder, and MOMO steering wheel and shift knob.
Just Finished: Clutch, flywheel and transmission...and TONS more!
Old 02-02-2005, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Geeze, drfatz, you're making us look bad
Old 02-02-2005, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Alright, alright....you guys are crazy.

No "I just dids"
No " I am stripping out the entire interior to make a track car"
No " etc."

Just a regular project on the 'git around to it' list!

Here is the simple project that needs to be finished for me.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

whaddaya mean no "just dids?" You have no idea how long those parts were sitting on the floor staring at me, waiting for me to do something with them! that's it, I just need to become independently wealthy so I don't have to do that nasty work thing

Now the *next* project is to pull the motor in my '62, do the seals and gaskets, replace the clutch, and paint under the hood. I don't think that will get done by your deadline

nate
Old 02-02-2005, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

oh yeah, zero10, I believe you can buy flat sheets of pre-laid-up fiberglass, I haev seen them, don't know where you can buy them off the shelf though.

nate
Old 02-02-2005, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Zero - you could also use luan (door skin) from the home improvement store. It would work well for the car door underlayment. Mine was pretty shot on the drivers side.

Ok nate....Did you paint those calipers huh?! did you undercoat the wheel wells huh?! Those are simple projects..get back in there!

Old 02-02-2005, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

luan?.. Is that the kind of cardboardy stuff the door panels are made out of? That is exactly what I need!

Buy my parts!
Old 02-02-2005, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I finished my shift bushing project this afternoon. I didn't take any pics becuase:
a.) underneath my shift boot it was embarassingly dirty
b.) my hands were gross from grease and cleaning up (a)
c.) it was ridiculously simple

But, I got to bust out the welder and actually work up a sweat hand-filing the bushing into shape. It took about an hour of filing to get it all perfect, but once it was all back together she shifted like a freakin' dream! I re-adjusted my shifter angle and greased the nylon bushing in the bottom, and man, it's amazing. No more hunting for reverse or first gear, and the shifter vibration is almost gone.

There's still a tiny bit of slop in it, but nowhere near where it was. I can tell that the slop isn't from the bushing I fixed up, because before it would have a floating feeling (hard to describe) when moving side-to-side. Now it feels solid, but just a little off.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: