Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Look how clean this 944 engine looks! EEK!

Wow! looks freaking brand new! I wish my engine was that clean.

Someone is selling it on Ebay.

Link

My Gaming Forums. Xbox360gen.com
Old 02-08-2005, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Autobahn Garage

SPRAY PAINT???????????
57, Speedster
Old 02-09-2005, 02:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Agreed, it looks nice but first off, why would you "waste" such effort on a base n/a engine? Second, what kind of paint / prep is that? If it's POR-20 or something it'll probably last okay but WHY?!?!?! The engine will not cool as well. Third, the engine looks good now, but unless it has been built well with all new seals it'll be caked with oil and crud within two weeks.

Dear God - that guy even painted the head / exhaust ports. WTF?

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-09-2005, 02:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Very clever - paint the lift point so when you install the engine all the paint gets scraped off and looks like crap. Nice.

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-09-2005, 02:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Seems to me that someone takes a lot of pride in their work, and it also looks like some of you cannot control your envy.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

looks like Broadfoot Racing

it's for sale...for the same reason you paint your house before you sell it

Early '85 944
Old 02-09-2005, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hard to tell, but it looks like it might have been bead-blasted. The intake is a slightly different shade, and may have been painted. All new head nuts and washers too.

Definitely someone who is REALLY picky about details. I wonder if they were just as picky about mechanical items, or only appearance.

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 02-09-2005, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
If they were concerned about details they'd have paid attention to which areas SHOULD be painted / powdercoated and which shouldn't. The oil pan provides cooling to the oil - bad choice. The lift ring - duh! The intake, cam tower and ac bracket are fine. I think the engine mounts are a bad choice but if you want to, fine. The head should absolutely not be - especially around the ports. I wonder if they painted the main deck before putting the head gasket on (*shudder*).

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-09-2005, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Why not paint the head?..

I plan to get my engine that clean while it's out of the car. I take great pride in my engine bay, and I would almost be proud to display that engine in mine. Except for the aforementioned issues, such as the paint peeling from the lift points. Some things should be cleaned, and some should be painted/powdercoated. They chose some of the wrong things.

I plan to paint/powdercoat the intake, cam tower, and everything else that will still function properly if painted. But, I do wonder, what is wrong with painting the head?

Buy my parts!
Old 02-09-2005, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
How do you know that that is all paint? You must have a special hi-res monitor in order to tell the difference between paint and bead-blast. I think the intake has been painted, but the rest of the silver bits could have been bead-blasted.

It looks like Broadfoot paid attention to detail there. Look at all of the new fasteners.

Looks like a commendable effort, IMHO.

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 02-09-2005, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
I wouldn't because it is one of the hottest areas of the engine and can help cooling if it's clean and unpainted; also if you paint the ports, can you guarantee the gaskets will seal properly? Doesn't sound like that great of an idea. Besides, a well-cleaned head looks just as good if not better than a painted one.

The head also has a LOT of little crevasses and places where dirt likes to collect. If this happens and then you clean it on a painted head, you might get "mismatched" color or areas where the paint gets removed and areas where it doesn't - looking like crap. Better to just clean it up nice and leave it at that, IMO.

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-09-2005, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
I dont htink painting the head or pan is going to effect cooling that much. I would bet leaving it dirty with nast crud would be worse for cooling. Also Im sure all the parts where cleaned properly ( chemical bath, blasting ect..) SO I dont think any paint will lift from dirt. This is how every engine should be treated, Cleaned and resealed with all new parts. I dont think anything is wrong with what was done to this engine. I would be happy to have it myself. Looks like the guy put some effert into the rebuild, its not just some garage job
Old 02-09-2005, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I wouldn't because it is one of the hottest areas of the engine and can help cooling if it's clean and unpainted; also if you paint the ports, can you guarantee the gaskets will seal properly? Doesn't sound like that great of an idea. Besides, a well-cleaned head looks just as good if not better than a painted one.

The head also has a LOT of little crevasses and places where dirt likes to collect. If this happens and then you clean it on a painted head, you might get "mismatched" color or areas where the paint gets removed and areas where it doesn't - looking like crap. Better to just clean it up nice and leave it at that, IMO.
How many engines have you built ?

It looks pretty and in a lot of cases thats what sells. Looks like a completely refreshed engine. Many of the gaskets cab be seen. The loctite 574 has not even set on those balance shaft covers. I wouldn't be worrying too much about heat in an NA engine anyways.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 02-09-2005, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I wouldn't because it is one of the hottest areas of the engine and can help cooling if it's clean and unpainted;

So paint will over heat the engine? LMAO!!1

My Gaming Forums. Xbox360gen.com
Old 02-10-2005, 01:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to c.josh
yeh definiately broadfoot racing and according to their website that is a 3500 dollar rebuild
Old 02-10-2005, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

when installed, i hope the timing belt gets painted too!
Old 02-10-2005, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
I didn't say it would overheat the engine, I said it would affect cooling. Personally I hate paint. It will eventually discolor, fail, crack, or flake off and the thing will look 100 times worse than if it was left alone. Just my $0.02.

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-10-2005, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

What about powder coating? I've been thinking about having my cylinder head cover done.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 02-10-2005, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I would love to see someone pop a hood and have an engine that clean and prettied up. Hope it doesn't go into a junker car....

"When you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance"

944 wannabe
Old 02-10-2005, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
In the ad it says the Valve cover and intake manifold are powder coated. Powder coating is sooo sweeet

Old 02-10-2005, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: