Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche 944 no oil pressure

I have a problem.
I have a Porsche 944
Model 1983
Normally aspirated.
+-90000 km on clock.

Last night I was traveling at +- 190kph along a long straight road.

A slow car overtook another slow car and went into my lane.
I had to do some hard braking and geared down at the same time.

After that the Porsche started to loose power.
I drove for +- 1 kilometre then the oil light came on full red, NOT flashing.
I at first thought it was the hand brake as I did NOT expect oil.
I had one hour previously at the petrol station checked the oil and it was three quarters up in between the two marks.
One quarter down off the full mark and still is.
I stopped immediately.
I checked the oil.
I checked for oil leaks, nothing absolutely dry under the engine.
I checked for water in the oil, nothing.
I checked for white water froth on the dip stick and under the filler cap, nothing.
I was and still am totally baffled
I left the bonnet open for half an hour to let the engine cool.
I then tried to start the engine, it struggled to turn over.
It started but the oil gauge was at one and a half bar and flicking up and down slightly +- half a bar.
The oil light flashed and the engine started to make a squeaking noise.
I believe a big end bearing has gone.
I had to toe the Porsche home.
I have been running Fully Synthetic Mobil 1 for the past four years.
Ultimate protection SAE 0W-40
The oil is changed every six months and a new oil filter fitted.
I was going to change the oil this week end.
The new oil and filter arrived yesterday.
About a year ago I did see that the oil gauge was running at +-4 and a half bar on start up and previously it was running +- 5 bar on start up.
We have NOT as yet opened the engine it is going in on Tuesday.
What do you think has happened?
Oil pump failure?
Where can I purchase the spares at a reasonable price on the internet?
The spare parts prices in South Africa are ridiculously high.
Best Regards,

Snowy Smith
Freelance Motor Racing Photographer
South Africa

Old 02-14-2005, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Pull the drain plug and check for metal shavings on the magnet. any knocking noise? if so, your #2 rod bearing may have decided to go take a tour of the rest of the engine.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AznDrgn
I'd bet on a spun rod bearing, check the drain plug as reccomended before.
'78 Porsche 924 NA- RIP
'89 Porsche 944 S2 - Parted

Looking for a nice 944S for a daily driver.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Any luck finding the problem?
87 944na - Old Daily Driver, now 944 CUP
03 Chevy Avalanche- Support Vehicle
70 Olds 442 W30 Conv- Gone but not forgotten
http://www.diazracing.com
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 03-31-2005, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

give us an update
Old 03-31-2005, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I think your problem is with the oil pump gear spinning on the crankshaft. This gear (some call it 'sleeve') pumps oil. It is mounted on the crankshaft by friction only (no woodruf key), i.e. it's sandwiched between a kink on the crankshaft on the engine side and the timing sprocket on the other side, and is secured with a big bolt at the end of the crankshaft.

The easiest way to see if this is the problem, is to put the car in gear, remove the top cover of the belts, and try moving either the timing or the balance belt. If any of these belts moves with respect to the crankshaft, the oil pump sleeve is probably loose, and spins, and doesn't pump oil any more, or not efficiently. Alternatively, leave the tranny in neutral, hold the belts with your hand, and attempt spinning the crankshaft with a ratchet+24mm socket.

If what I say is your case, you might have damage to several pieces on the crankshaft, including the woodruf keys, a washer, timing and balance sprockets. You want to examine them carefully, if the test I described shows spinning.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
How high did the revs get?
If you were way up in the rev range (5500+) I could see you having spun a rod bearing, but if you kept the revs down and such, I don't know why it would have spun right then.
I agree on pulling the drain plug to check things out.

Buy my parts!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I just noticed Snowy Smith posted the message on Feb 14, and it's the end of March, and he never replied after the initial post. Looks like we're wasting our time trying to help him...
Old 04-01-2005, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have a 85 porsche 944 2.5 non turbo. Replaced the seals in the oil cooler, no problem, use alingment tool to install the spring loaded oprv. No probem. Started it up and high oil pressure with light and gauge reading over 5+. I replaced the sending unit and now not pressure on gauge and light still on. Help..
Old 02-22-2020, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
I had no pressure on the guage and the oil light illuminated after doing a timing and balance belt service. New oil sender did not fix. Second oil sender did not fix. So I checked the wiring from the sender to the dash and it was broken. I replaced it and all is well. Check yours. Mine is a 1984 NA. You might also borrow an oil pressure guage to see what is REALLY going on.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I placed a Manual oil pressure gauge and no oil in the line. I have changed oil and filter, what's next no knocking or strange noises. I will replace the oil gear-shelve if needed. Any ideas?
Old 03-01-2020, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
Take us back a bit here. Have you driven the car for years with normal guage and oil light operation, and then decided to replace the seals in the cooler and this happened? Or did you buy the car in February with the oil light on an a non-operating guage and this was meant to fix that? There are a lot of variations on these two stories and they'll help guide us. So, what's the history of your car?
Old 03-03-2020, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I bought the car knowing it needed seals in the oil cooler. Replaced them and no problem until I started it up, the car sat. not driven for over 2 years. The oil pressure light came on and gauge read high. I replaced the OPRV and used tool to alien the valve. Replaced the sending unit and with new one on reads NO OIL PRESSURE. I then placed a manual oil pressure gauge and no oil running in the tube. That's were I am. ??
Old 03-04-2020, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
OPRV has seals and stuff, are those all good? If oil is bypassing your OPRV then it would possibly register low. You could try removing the sender entirely and crank the engine, see if you get a mess.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
Mark - not enough. You bought the car. The day you wrote the check - did it have fine oil pressure or not? Your post is cryptic. It sounds like you bought it, replaced the oil seals for no apparent reason, then started it and it suddenly had a problem. So you left it sitting for 2 years. Then the oil pressure light came on and guage read high at some point you don't identify. Sorry for being an English teacher here but slow down and tell us the whole sequence. I've been wrenching over 40 years and cannot glean enough from that to even have an opinion. Hope this is not as condescending as it reads to me...

Last edited by IdahoDoug; 03-04-2020 at 07:51 AM..
Old 03-04-2020, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
The one key thing I am getting from this whole thing is "no knocking or strange noises".

Sounds like you have oil pressure just fine. If you didn't, you would know it. Your engine would sound like a spastic typewriter.
Fix your wiring issues....

And start your own thread rather than piggyback on a 15 year old one - it only serves to confuse people as to who is asking what.
I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details

Last edited by kdjones2000; 03-04-2020 at 01:05 PM..
Old 03-04-2020, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

This is VERY SIMPLE, I bought this 85 Porsche early model not running, it sat for 2 years as the other owner was in the military. I knew the oil cooler seals needed to be replaced. I did that and no issues until I started it up, with new fresh oil and filter and cleaned and aligned the OPRV.
Installed a Manuel oil pressure gauge no oil in the line. I guess this is not so simple-- had many older cars, yet never a OPRV AND COOLER.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
Mark,

I'm sure I'm going to give up some points on the "forum member of the year" here but seriously. You bought it not running and did some work on the oil system. You "had no issues until I started it up" which I ungenerously read as "I bolted it together and apparently I did it correctly because the cold, dead engine exhibited absolutely zero issues. I was so stoked! And then I started it up...."

I don't mean to make light of it, but this is getting comedic and I'm human.

So now I have the sequence. You bought a car and you had no idea if it had oil pressure issues or not, but you (without ever starting it, perhaps you towed it home) KNEW it needed oil cooler seals either from observation or the previous owner told you. The oil pressure is still a complete unknown. Then you started it up and the funky guage and light behavior. And as noted, you'd know in short order if you have an oil pressure problem so I don't think you do. And also as you surmise the manual oil guage is something that requires bleeding and filling completely so there is no air to properly work and I suspect you're not getting a good read.

I think you have exactly what I had. A short in the wire from the sender to the guage. Check it for continuity by finding the connector at the rear of the head, disconnect it and use a multi tester to see if its broken internally. They often get caught in the timing cover or something else down there when work is done, which is exactly what I did. EZ peasy to run your own wire then. It's also possible to switch the wires at the sensor, which will give you wacky results. You can find a thread on here somewhere to test for that error, or just try them the other way. The connections sometimes get changed by a previous owner who accidentally switches them.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: