Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Do my tools need air???

I'm near the brink of taking the plunge into air tools. Somehow the entire air-tools has passed my by until now. Seems it will save a few scraped knuckles, and save some time. I'm trying to avoid adding more stuff to an already crowded garage but anyway...

Any compressor recommendations? Seems good config for weekend mechanic work is:
30 gal tank
6hp
8 SCFM @40
6 SCFM @90

also I'll be doing some carpentry with this
How do you use air tools, is everything air nowadays? Is it worth it?

thanks!

Old 03-12-2005, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have a Porter Cable compressor, got it at home depot. Same one my brother has had for years with his carpentry job and he swears by it. Might be 8 or 10 gallons, the smallest they make I think, and sounds like all you'll need. It's as big as a beachball, a little bigger maybe, red, and maybe 30 pounds. Mine came with a small brad nailer (for small carpentry jobs like furniture) which I love too. Don't get something too big if you don't need it. I assume it will be fine for your automotive needs as well.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Air rachet. Use your muscle to break the bolt loose then run it off with the air rachet.

Be very careful with a butterfly 3/8" impact. You can strip bolts with it.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-12-2005, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The 1/2" drive impact wrench has been a lifesaver several times now.
'88 CitroŽn 2CV
Old 03-13-2005, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
I have a 5 hp 20 gallon and it works well with my air tools. If you are only running a nail gun you wont need a big compressor or a tank. Thier air usage is low. If you plan on using a 400 ft lb impact then I would go with a larger compressor that can feed it. Size your compressor according to your needs.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 03-13-2005, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I had a Campbell-Hausfeld that failed within one year of very light use. Bought a Porter Cable "Job Boss" with 150 PSI capability. It has a small tank, 4.5 gallons but relatively large wheels and is very portable. Puts out 6.0 scfm at 90 PSI. Plus, it has a low profile and slips neatly under my workbench. If you require more stored air for high consumption jobs, rig up a secondary storage tank in series with the first, making sure you adjust the output air pressure not to exceed the secondary tank rating, since most are rated at 125 PSI.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Sorry, I have to disagree. Being of the Tim Allen school of power tools, I would say buy the biggest you can afford and can plug into 120V power, unless you have a 220V power in the garage. You can ALWAYS easily cut back the amount of output of air with the regulator but if you're short CFM for jobs like sandblasting, painting, jobs that take large amounts of air for sustained periods, you'll be kicking yourself. I bought a Craftsman 30gal and can do all those tasks without stressing the motor and pump and can still plug into 120vac. YMMV.

It's like money and horsepower; you can never have too much.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AznDrgn
Find the largest air consuming tool that you ever plan to use and then add ~5 CFM to it's CFM requrements and get a compressor that can handle that much flow. It might cost a little more in the short run but in the long term it will all be worth it. Any compressor that can handle automotive air tool usage will be able to handle carpentry nailers.
'78 Porsche 924 NA- RIP
'89 Porsche 944 S2 - Parted

Looking for a nice 944S for a daily driver.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all your help.
I got the compressor, a 32 gallon 5.5/1.7 hp, 150psi, 8.4/5.1 scfm, 110v, Husky - Campbell/Hausfeld, home depot clearance special for an amazing $230 that included a case with every automotive air tool and accessory I think I will ever need, rachet, impact wrench, paint sprayer, hoses, sockets, inflater, blower, everything. Hitachi 2.5" finish nailer on order for my next capentry projects, framing and roofing nailer next. Excellent addition to garage, yes, I need air, I should have got this stuff 10 years ago.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Don't forget - even air tools require oil. You can either manually oil with a drop of "air tool oil" (not motor oil - air tool oil is lighter weight and has corrosion inhibitors) or use an in-line oiler, but becareful - because if you oil the line (hose), you can't use the hose with your paint sprayer. You'll also need to oil the pin that makes the ratched head ratchet.

Also, if it is a cool or cold day, the air rachet gets uncomfortably cold for use with bare hands.

Now, go make some of that neat air rachet noise!
Old 03-28-2005, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rmills944 Send a message via Yahoo to Rmills944
Very good deal. One of my friends has a Campbell 60 Gallon, and it's so quiet you could stand next to it and talk and barely hear it!
Old 03-28-2005, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to michaelathome Send a message via Yahoo to michaelathome
Right now at Sears:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0708277234.1112044527@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccekaddefdeijfecehgcemgdffmdflh.0&vertical=TOOL&pid=00916734000

It comes with an 35psi 3/8in air wratchet, 95psi 1/2in impact wrench and an impact hammer.

It's kinda loud but doesn't run all the time when using those tools. Now run a DA sander at 90psi 6scfm (Ingersall-Rand 311) and it will never stop running.

In order to cut the noise you are going to have to go with an oiled wich is going to be in the $450+ range.

IMO this is a nice way to get some tools and a decent compressor for those weekend projects.

Michael
Old 03-28-2005, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hope nothing goes wrong with the Campbell Hausfeld. Like I posted earlier, I had one, it failed, I contacted the company TWICE and never received a response.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rmills944 Send a message via Yahoo to Rmills944
Quote:
Originally posted by Moneyguy1
Hope nothing goes wrong with the Campbell Hausfeld. Like I posted earlier, I had one, it failed, I contacted the company TWICE and never received a response.
You're the only one I've heard of having problems with one. He's had his 4 years and had no problems with it whatsoever. It's used all the time working on his mustangs and my cars.

Old 03-29-2005, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: