Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 purchase price ??

86 944 burgundy 5spd. paint in okay shape, sunroof paint starting to fade, recent water pump replacement, valve job, normal timing part replacement, and tune up. car has 270,000 miles on car. unsure about rest of car ( suspension, trainy etc). Interior not in bad shape ( normal cracks on dash, seats good shape, etc)
any suggestions as to what the car is worth. High mileage makes me unsure.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
270,000... wow.. thats towards the upper end. $1500 maybe? engine ever been rebuilt?

i'd prolly pass...

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Not sure. Car seems to have been taken car of. According to owner much of mileage was highway ( back and forth from BFE to city job). 2nd owner selling and is unsure of engine rebuild. He has just spent close to 1800$ have engine work done. Has receipts.
I think 2500 is high but don't want to insult the man low balling.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

270K I don't think you have to worry about insults. Highway or not that's a well used car, I would assume major repairs are around the corner...

1998 Glacier White Boxster
1971 Fiat 124 Spyder
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Old 03-19-2005, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks to all for the input. got it for for less than I thought. Way south of the asking price. He was tired of the expense and just wanted to get rid of it. Recently had put in timing belts etc and so forth, valve job, and other minor stuff.
goin to drive for awhile and then probably sell it. I have another one I am restoring.
Again, thanks!
Old 03-19-2005, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hokay...I'm curious Porwanabe, how much and do you have any pics?

1983 silver 944 - sold to "Ontario Chris"
1968 white 912 - sold to Storm and Spencer in Long Island
Old 03-19-2005, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

No pics at this time. Just got it today. Will post some in the next couple of weeks. Picked it up for 1700$. Well worth it in my view. Lets try to describe the car.
Burgundy
Bra
Interior - VERY clean except the seats which show wear and tear. No cracks on dash, carpet in good shape.
Electronics - issues that I "know"of : hatch switch appears to be non functioning. All lights work, dash lights good. AC has to be checked - believe all it needs is some refrigerate. Sunroof works. Windows all go and down - no issues as of this writing
Recently done - all related items to timing belt, new water pump, valve job ( yep ). tune up, oil change, new wires, plugs. Job done by local shop that has history with 944's.
Suspension appears to be in good shape. No issues with tie rods or control arms. Shocks in good shape.
Paint - sunroof starting to fade, rest of car in good shape with some chips. Appears that a small dent was fixed years ago. Some very minor bubbling on rockers toward the back ( behind doors)
Radio - CD/ new speakers works
All in all a a decent car.
Person has had the car for years. Details cars for a living. Just decided he wanted something else. Second one. He is looking for a 928 I think.
Trying to buy an engine ( he has a spare ) from him as well. has an 88 which is suppose to be low miles.
I plan on giving the underside and front of engine a good cleaning to make sure there are no leaks. With the recent replacement of water pump I can not tell if the water etc caused the moisture. Does not appear to be oil.
Not into the burgundy color but he has done a good job keeping it very very very clean ( garaged ). I have a red 87 which I am slowly replacing everything. Just waiting to have it painted.
When I looked at the car prior to pruchasing ( weeks ago) it smoked pretty bad. He took the car back to the repair shop for them find the issue. They pulled the head off again ( their cost ), replaced a seal I believe and a tensioner. I will have all receipts from that operation. It is not smoking at all now. I will replace the oil again with Mobil 1 and have my mechanic give it a once over. Recent Va inspection ( good for another year)
Old 03-19-2005, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
congrats on the new car

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Wow...ok, I'm jealous...I spent $1700 for mine too and then had to "invest" another $2000 for timing belt, tensioners, water pump, complete tuneup (including new filters and and wires), front brakes and a new windshield...and that was just to make it "road safe"...

1983 silver 944 - sold to "Ontario Chris"
1968 white 912 - sold to Storm and Spencer in Long Island
Old 03-20-2005, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

don't be jealous. I plan to flip this car quickly. I am restoring an 87 I bought for 1k. I have put in new injectors, control arms, tie rods, carpeting, radio, shocks, new sway bar bushings, plugs, wires, dash cover, new trim, swtiches, some wiring, fog lights, all external lenses, etc and so forth. I still have the timing belt, the water pump, and finally a paint job to go. I am calling this the ebay car. I have saved a ton of money on oem parts via ebay and other outlets.( new radiator, timing belt parts, and the like ).I took a chance when I bought it hoping that I would not have to spend to much but...../ but decided after finding out the issues to take my time, spend the money to do it right, and have a car "I know" is fixed and correct. I figure another year and I will have replaced almost everything.
I wish I could find some one that does not charge an arm and a leg for paint job. Jeez!

It is costly lesson but I will continue. Figure the car will cost me 1 billion dollars after I am finished.

it is fun to drive though. wanted one for twenty years.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: