Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Front End Rebuild

Instead of writing a looooong, detailed explanation of my front end rebuild (except for the struts/springs), if you have any questions, please email. I just did all of the bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, and bearings. There were some tricky parts but all had relatively easy work-arounds.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
ohh come on, write it up Did you take any pics?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
No pix.

OK, quick write-up.

1. Jack up the front end and use jackstands.
2. Remove both front wheels. Clean them!
3. Remove protective plate and clean it!

(actually after all these steps, just insert the phrase "and clean it")
BEARINGS
4. Unbolt the brake caliper and hang it with a hanger.
5. Pop off the dust cap, unscrew the allen-head bolt, hub retaining nut, and washer. Remove the hub assembly. Note: it is not necessary to remove the disk.
6. Remove the disk splash guard.
7. Remove the dust seal, bearings, and the races. You'll need to use a large diameter socket, a brass drift (brass!) and a hammer to bang the inner and outer races out of the hub. Put the hub on a 1x6 piece of wood on the garage floor to do the banging.
8. Clean it!
9. Put the new races in the freezer and the hub in the oven (or use the grill like I did to avoid the wrath of the better-half) at 250F for 2 hours.
10. The large inner race will just drop into place. The smaller outer race will drop in 1/4 of the way then you'll have to bang it the rest of the way. Use the old race to tap it flush to the hub then a brass drift to seat it all of the way down.
11. Installation is the reverse of blah, blah, blah...Just remember to pack the bearings thoroughly in grease and adjust the hub retainer nut properly (not too tight and not too loose).

Last edited by divezic; 03-20-2005 at 05:16 AM..
Old 03-20-2005, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
CONTROL ARMS AND SWAY BAR

Use the Haynes manual. This one of the jobs that Haynes covers well enough.

Notes:
1. Pelican Parts does not sell the '84 944 tie rod ends for power steering. I ordered them from Paragon Products.
2. Be careful drilling out the old ball joints. As soon as I drilled the rivets to within about 1/16 of the rivet stem diameter, I used a steel chisel and hammer to knock the rest of the head off.
3. PELICAN PARTS EMPLOYEES TAKE NOTE!...Do not order the nuts/bolts/washers for the ball joints from Pelican Parts. ALL OF THE NEW HARDWARE COMES WITH THE NEW BALL JOINTS.
4. Cut the old front A-arm bushing lip off with a utility knife and push the bushing out with a bench vice. Push the new bushing on with the bench vise. NOTE: Use silicone spray lube to help insert all of the new bushings.
5. Cut the rear bushing off with a Dremel Motor tool and beat the new one on with a hammer and a block of wood.
6. Slip off all of bushings from the sway bar. You'll have to unbolt the outer bushing mounts from the A-arm.
7. Cut the old front outer sway bar bushing lip off with a utility knife and push the bushing out of the mount with a bench vice.
8. Slip on the inner bushings.
9. Put the outer bushing mount (with the bushing installed) in the bench vise. With a lot of silicone lube, twisting, pushing, cursing, and grunting push the sway bar into the outer bushing.

NOTE: Bolt everything together using Lock Tight.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Do the hubs and bearings first.

While the hubs are off, do the control arms and sway bar. Then put the hubs back on.

Don't forget the e-clip and RTV sealer on the speedo cable on the left front wheel.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Good info, I'm sure this is probably an area where we should all do a little freshening up... My 20 year old bushings and whatnots really need some work.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
It noticably tightened up the front end. No more mush.

And, by the way, she is for sale if anybody is interested. I have her listed on the Classifieds forum...
1984 944 For Sale

Last edited by divezic; 03-20-2005 at 05:39 PM..
Old 03-20-2005, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: