Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
kg_p944

944 rear wiper gears

I was shovelling my 944 out of the snowfall a few weeks ago (you garage owners, please try not to cry! Some of us are not so lucky!), and ran the rear wiper before the hatch was completely de-iced. The wiper moved back and forth about 1-2" a couple times, before I realized it probably shouldn't be run.

Now that everything's melted, I've discovered that the rear wiper is inoperative other than wiggling back and forth about 1 degree. I disassembled the motor box to try and diagnose, and all the gears seemed to be intact and operating properly (the worm gear was driving the round gear was driving the arm was driving the ... erm... reciprocating assembly), but the knob at the end was still only rotating a few degrees. I guess it has been detached from one of the triangular-shaped gear sections, but I can't see how to fix it.

Anyone encounter this? Anyone have tips on rebuilding the gearbox? Do I need to replace anything?

Thanks,
Old 03-21-2005, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Remove the wiper assembley and plug the whole, WHo needs a rear wiper anyway, Just drive faster to clear the window
Old 03-21-2005, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I had a similar symptom with my front passenger side wiper. It would move about 2" and then fall limp, then kinda shake like it was having an epileptic fit. All it took was tightening the nut on the outside of the wiper arm where it attaches to the rest of the linkage. Not sure if the rear wiper operates the same way or not - mine has been dead since purchase. Ehhh... Made it a whole winter without needing it, havent had much of an impulse to fiddle with it yet.

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
kg_p944

Is there an off-the-shelf plug that fits, or do most folks find something of similar diameter and massage it into place? There's a 951 in my apt parking lot with a plug that looks almost OEM, which leads me to suspect there's a common solution out there.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I just took mine off my '87 if you want it. The drive unit without the arm (PITA to ship) for $5+shipping. I never tried using it, but it should work.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
kg_p944

Thanks for the part, Patrick. Great doing business with you.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: