Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Hit and Run

I bet you can guess what this post is about... yup some a**hole hit my car and left. Now when i first saw the damage i almost cried. The fender was dented and bubbled, the top of the fender was scraped, and the door was partially scraped. There was also a huge black mark to boot.

The good in all of this is that my school has a camera system that tops most prisons. At 7:30 this morning a big red chevy pickup with a lift kit tried reversing into the spot adjacent to mine and smashed into my baby. Then they took off. I know i will get a new fender out of it but do you think i might be able to get a paintjob too. I mean the car is an 85 and it will look a bit odd with one shiny new fender. Any advice? I mean they hit my car and intentionally ran... In fact they didnt even show up for school.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
thats a ***** man at least they've got it on tape, is the person known so you can get something done insurance or pay for repair wise, not sure what the law is with you but in the UK thats a crime and if its on tape I'm sure they'll be pretty keen to pay up (even if it means selling the chevy!)
Old 03-21-2005, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes I actually do know who the kid is and hopefully he has enough money to pay for it immediately. If not im charging interest for sure.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

one call to the police will fix that..... Not sure about NH.. His INsurance company will pay for it... Get a copy of that tape....
Old 03-21-2005, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
If you don't like the guy, I would put it in as a hit and run.
Otherwise, I would coax him into paying up if you get what I mean.

He should have to pay to have that fender matched to the rest of the car, however, if it can't be matched, and the whole car has to be repainted....

Buy my parts!
Old 03-21-2005, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Also not sure about this again different laws - but you might have to make up your mind pretty quick ie get a quote & get a down payment from him & get things moving, or tell the police / insurance. Otherwise if you leave it too long eg if he says he'll pay and doesn't and drags it out for a month you might find the police/insurers saying you should have notified them sooner - his insurers might then be especially reluctant to pay and then argue the case. Other point to keep in mind is that seeing as he did a runner in the first place how likely is he too pay???
Old 03-21-2005, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
turn him in THIS MINUTE. It would be easier to get it reported and make a deal now, then drop charges if he pays (get it in writing, etc., etc.), than if their insurance company decides to fight it (which they will).
Old 03-21-2005, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Definite things to do:

File a police report, if you havent already.

I'm assuming you don't want to go through your insurance co.. If a positive ID can be made on car and driver, by all means put it through his insurance. When it comes to bodywork quote, make sure you take the car to a shop that handles porsches. That should add a nice $$ quote to buffer to help offset the paint cost (which, whole car-wise, is iffy their insurance co with cover).

Again, not sure about NH, but here in CT, I wouldn't have to take him to court for the hit and run, that is a Motor Vehicle violation, the police dept. would cite/fine/etc. him on their own without your involvement.

However, once all of that is done and documented, if his insurance company doesnt cover the complete repair, paint, etc., then you can take him to court to recoup the cost of the repair. You might have to come outta pocket with the $$ and hope to get reimbursed if it goes to civil court though.

My g/f was in a car accident (other driver had unlicensed car, no insurance). My g/f found a door and bumper from a junkyard. Repair and paint cost her $1,200. Took the other chick to court. Presented her reciepts to the judge. The judge awarded her $3,000. He realized my g/f took some shortcuts getting it fixed herself instead of new parts, etc, and awarded her what it would have costed had she done it with all new parts n whatnot. So now the other chick's paycheck is garnished $250 a month until it is paid off.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Call the police, make a report and let the insurance fight the fight. he did a hit and run so he's screwed. At least it will make him think twice next time he hits a Porsche.
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 03-21-2005, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
sue his ass for as much money as you can!!! And buy a 951.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
make sure you post here with the aftermath... I really hope he gets his.

Hit and run has to be one of the most cowardly, chicken***** things you can do.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 03-21-2005, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
yeah man, as said above, report him to the cops. He consciously made the decision to try and screw you over by not doing the considerate thing and owning up. if it weren't for the tape repairs would be coming out of your pocket. Force his hand!!

get a few quotes from some panelbeaters and tell them " the other guys paying..." with a wink and see what they can do...
Old 03-22-2005, 12:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: