Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest lsd help!!

I have a 1989 944 na and i am pretty sure that i have an lsd because when i drift the skidmarks are from both tires but im not sure because on some of the drifts you can see the front tires skidmarks too. So it could just be a skid not the tire acyualy spinning. I jacked the car up and spun the rear wheel to see if the other one would spin backwards or forwards and it did neither. Im so confused what is going on.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If the other wheel did nothing, I would dare say you do NOT have lsd. Check your option codes and see what the car came with originally.

944 option codes
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 03-21-2005, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Hmm, did nothing?... I don't know what to tell you.
In a properly operating open differential, it will spin the opposite direction, in a properly operating limited slip unit, it will spin the same way.

Maybe it's the torsen unit? I know it uses fluid pressure or something to spin the other wheel.

Buy my parts!
Old 03-21-2005, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero10
Hmm, did nothing?... I don't know what to tell you.
In a properly operating open differential, it will spin the opposite direction,
An open differential will sometimes do nothing when spinning one wheel. If the trans is in neutral and the brakes provide more friction than the r&p, nothing will happen.
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 03-21-2005, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

What do i do with the option codes. An open dif is what exactly. when i do burnouts the rear feels like its skipping real rough not like the wheels are spinning nicely. Could my lsd or whatvers in there just be shot. I do drift a lot in this car.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to procon
Quote:
Originally posted by 944drift
What do i do with the option codes.
220 Limited Slip Differential
221 Porsche-locking differential
P08 Limited Slip Differential

See if they match.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

sorry but i dont follow. What do I match the codes to.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to procon
Quote:
Originally posted by 944drift
sorry but i dont follow. What do I match the codes to.
Do you have the car's warranty & maintenance manual?

If so, on page one there should be a sticker with lots of codes, these can used to find out what options your car came with.

If not, pop the rear hatch & pull the carpet down as though you were changing a brake light bulb, there should be the same sticker on the driver's side near the tail light.

Then use the link Wolf1 posted & you're set.

Last edited by procon; 03-22-2005 at 08:27 AM..
Old 03-22-2005, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

There are lots of 944s out there that do not have the original transmission anymore. Take your car somewhere safe. Put one rear wheel in the dirt and the other on the road. Put her in first and rev her up and dump the clutch. If your one wheel in the dirt spins like crazy and you don't go anywhere, you have an open diff. If your car launchs amid a cloud of rubber, and dirt, you have a lsd diff. If you have a weak R&P, you will hear a loud grinding noise, and you won't go anywhere. Good luck.

1991 944S2 Rally #951 Rally-America.com
Old 03-22-2005, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: