Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to iobound
No longer a CV Joint virgin

I replaced both CV Joints on the passenger side yesterday. What a difference it makes! But the old joints were full of grease and the boots didn't appear to have any tears. There was some scoring on the wall of one of the tracks were the ball bearing rides. Could that have caused the clicking and grumble? Makes me wonder how these things fail.

Thank pelicanparts.com for the parts and clarks-garage.com for the info.
1988 944 NA w/4valve S motor (Daily Driver)
1992 965 Coupe 3.4 Liter, webers, GE60 (Garage Queen)
1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
2002 Barbie Electric Kids Jeep
Old 03-22-2005, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
They fail in a few ways. The bearings wear down, and the races wear out, along with the carrier (or whatever it is called). Everything should be in there pretty tight. I changed mine out, I only found one race with some scoring, but both shafts were clicking and clacking like crazy every time the suspension would shift a bit.
Changed them both, packed the new ones with Mobil 1 synthetic red grease, and they were whisper quiet. Didn't even get 1000km's on them before the car burned

Buy my parts!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about the fire. What happened?
1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
Old 03-22-2005, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had a lower radiator hose heater (it gets pretty chilly up here, -40 in the winters), I plugged the car in when it was about -15*C, and I guess the thermostat inside the heater failed. It kept going until it boiled all the coolant out of the lower rad hose, melted the hose, allowing the rest of my coolant to escape, then set the hose on fire. The fire then spread to my timing belt covers, and power steering lines, which fueled it quite nicely, then ignited the fuel lines. The fire spread towards the driver's side of the engine compartment, and ruptured my A/C lines, which were filled with explosive RedTek refrigerant... the fire damage was extensive.

I still think about it, and probably bring it up a bit too much on here. I just think about it every time somebody mentions a project they undertook that I had done.
Oh well, now I have the 951 to work on. Or rather, now I have the 951 to break the bank

That aside, back to the CV joints...

Did you buy new joints, or a replacement shaft? Did you have to build the joints to put them on the shaft?

Buy my parts!
Old 03-22-2005, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I bought the CV Joint kits from pelicanparts.com. Each kit had a new joint, new boot, new bolts, c-clip, convex washer, and grease. The price was great and I got the kits in three days!

To install it, I stripped everything off down to the axle and cleaned it thoroughly then re-assembled using the parts from the kit. It went smoothly. My only hickup was trying to remember which way to put in convex washer - up or down :-)

Thanks again!
1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
Old 03-23-2005, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Haha, the direction of that washer is important. Sounds like a pretty smooth operation.
I had to take all of the ball bearings out of the races and carriers on my CV rebuild. They came packed with moly disulphide, and I wanted to repack them with mobil 1 synthetic grease (red moly), so I had to get them right clean. Man, those things are like a rubix cube the first time you take them apart...

Buy my parts!
Old 03-23-2005, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The red stuff sounds cool. I gotta try it next time. The pelicanparts.com kit comes with new CV joints already assembled. So it was just a matter of greasing em up and sliding them onto the splines. But I ran out of latex gloves and I STILL have grease under my nails :-)

So, which way DO those washers go, ^ or U :-)
1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
Old 03-24-2005, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Depends how you look at them
If you are talking about the washer that sits on the inside of the CV joint, I believe it goes like this
--C|X|
where -- is the shaft, C is the washer, and |X| is the cv joint itself, so only the lip of the washer touches the inner race, and it pushes it away a bit. When I did this, it was a touch difficult to get the snap ring on, but the joint was very solid where it was. That's how mine came apart as well.
I tried fitting it the other way, and it allowed the CV joint itself to slide back and forth a bit, so I changed it back around.

The red stuff is cool. When it turns deep brown/black, it's time to change it, as well as it supposedly protects better than moly disulphide (black moly grease for CV's). It's almost as sticky when cold, but it stays put better once it gets nice and warm. Plus, it doesn't stain your hands like the black stuff does.

I remember repacking my CV's when the bolts backed out shortly after I bought my 86, that was my first experience with black moly grease. I had perpetually dirty hands for about a week until the skin died and fell off, lol.

Buy my parts!
Old 03-24-2005, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip(s) and info.

Regards,

Daryl
1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
Old 03-24-2005, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

That black grease really stains. I have a sweat shirt that got some on it when I pulled the transaxle for my clutch job. This was back in December and the shirt has been washed many times. Guess what, the grease marks are still there.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the greases may be incompatible. Of course you probably don't know what the old grease is, so you have to wash off the old CV joints and then repack. Don't ask me why this is true but all the applicable greases have this warning printed on them.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have always wiped things until they are absolutely spotless. Until I can handle then with bare hands, and won't get a stain on me.
I'm super paranoid about the greases being incompatible.

I got some grease on my good shirt when my CV joint bolts backed out on my way to an important dinner. I've had it dry cleaned twice, treated it with every stain remover I have, and it's been washed numerous times, and you can still see where the grease was.

I got red moly on my car-work shirt, came out in the first wash.

Buy my parts!
Old 03-25-2005, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
"No longer a CV Joint virgin "

You had sex with a CV joint?!?

Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 03-25-2005, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
Question
Should I be able to move the new CV joint around with my hands?

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 03-25-2005, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

You mean in free air on the end of the shaft? When I rebuilt mine I couldn't. Had me pretty worried, but I remembered that's how they were when I took them out of the box prior to disassembly.
if I gave the lip a little tap with a mallet, they would move around. It caused a bit of a growl for the first 50kms or so, but they quieted down, and are nice and tight now.

It wouldn't take much of a tap to make it move though.

If you mean once it's installed, you should have some play along the length of the shaft, but no rotational play.

Buy my parts!
Old 03-26-2005, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: