Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hard to change brake pads with 4-piston calipers?

I've read the Haynes manual procedure for changing brake pads on the regular 944's 1-piston calipers. It looks pretty easy. But, the last line of the entry says something like "later high-performance versions use 4-piston calipers, which are a lot more complicated, and should be left to the dealership".

I've got an '89 turbo, with 4-piston calipers. Are they really that much harder to change brake pads in? Is there a good write-up with pictures somewhere?
2009 X3 "Ruby" (Because it snows here, and I have things to move)
Old 03-22-2005, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nope, the easiest brake pad change you will ever do...

1) Remove wheels.

2) Compress clip, and rotate away from the pad.

3) Using a large screwdriver, lever the pad away from the rotor. Only do one pad at a time.

4) Using a pliers, remove the old pad.

5) Put the new pad in.

Repeat this until each pad is installed.

gb
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 03-22-2005, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey, good to hear it's easy! I could use some more info on step 2, though...what's the "clip"? I can't find pictures or diagrams of the 4-piston calipers, so I haven't got any feel for what's in there.

(Heh, it is pretty much guaranteed to be the easiest I ever do...also the hardest, and the first...I'm pretty new at this.)
Old 03-22-2005, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Well, take a wheel off your car and take a look at your own calipers, lazybones .

All kidding aside, that clip is easy to see once you are looking at the top of the caliper. Its fairly large, and usually silver in color, and looks like someone took some 1/4" alu wire and formed it into some artistic version of a celtic cross.

You'll understand when you look at it.

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 03-23-2005, 01:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Unless the pads are siezed in-place, Porsche brakes are the easiest brakes to change pads in that i have ever worked on.

Every other car i've tried, you have to unbolt the caliper to get the pads out. Porsche pads slip out the top of the caliper, after you rotate the clip out of the way, as described above. (be careful with the electrical wires that go to the pad wear sensors, they get caught in the clip.) to compress the clip, you need a large pair of pliers, and grab the clip in the center, and squeeze the 2 pieces of wire together, along the longest axis of the clip. It should pop out of one of the ends.

You will need to find some way to compress the pistions back into the calipers, if you're putting in new pads. You can lever the pads back into the caliper, just don't damage the rotor doing that.

Are you changing the rotors as well? I would reccomend changing rotors unless they have very little wear. Changing the rotors adds complexity to the job. You'll have to remove the calipers to change the rotors.

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 03-23-2005, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Range rover calipers are definetely the easiest and porsche the second. Now it's a different story when it comes to rotors-range rover the HARDEST!
Old 03-23-2005, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by natey
Hey, good to hear it's easy! I could use some more info on step 2, though...what's the "clip"?
I believe it is called a butterfly clip. It can be compressed with channel locks. Very easy to do.

-Z.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 03-23-2005, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iobound
Changing the pads is easy on 4 piston Porsche calipers. But bleeding the brakes is harder because the calipers have two bleed nipples. Twice as much work as the single piston calipers.
1988 944 NA w/4valve S motor (Daily Driver)
1992 965 Coupe 3.4 Liter, webers, GE60 (Garage Queen)
1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
2002 Barbie Electric Kids Jeep
Old 03-23-2005, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

tifosiman: I just got the wheels back on it! I don't think my knees can take another half hour on the pavement...(lousy apartment parking lot).

Mike: Good info, thanks. Hadn't planned on replacing the rotors, I don't feel any pulsing when I brake. Don't know how old they are, though, maybe I'll get them measured when I get new tires in the next few weeks.

iobound: Hadn't planned on bleeding the brakes either, I figure a shop with a pressure bleeder could do it in a quarter of the time it would take me, plus they were just bled ~6k miles ago, and I'm not planning on disconnecting the brake lines.

Also, I thought they'd been working to do away with the BIG kernel lock since the 2.1 series, and replace it with smaller spinlocks? Good to see another linux nerd / porsche enthusiast around...

Thanks for the info, everyone. I think I will try this myself, before I go to the next DE event (yes, I'll be sure to break them in on the street first...)
Old 03-23-2005, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iobound
True. The BKL is largely depricated but it's sooo evil and unruley that I still love it :-;
1988 944 NA w/4valve S motor (Daily Driver)
1992 965 Coupe 3.4 Liter, webers, GE60 (Garage Queen)
1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
2002 Barbie Electric Kids Jeep
Old 03-23-2005, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Once the wheel is off, you can change brake pads with nothing more than a Leatherman tool.

I had to do that trackside once. Worked great.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: