Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

car smokes

No the car is not "smokin" hot but rather it is blow some smoke. I am used cars in their elder age smoking a bit on start up due to oil bypassing the seals. This car smokes more when it is hot. Any suggestions. timing belt was just replaced.
87 944 n/a
Old 03-22-2005, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What color is the smoke and where is it coming from? Is there coolent in your oil, or oil in your coolent? How many miles on the engine?

1991 944S2 Rally #951 Rally-America.com
Old 03-22-2005, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Color of smoke is white / blue ( which made me think oil ). Reecnt timing belt change. mileage high 170K. The smoke also does not smell like oil. Smells more like it is running very very rich. Car runs smooth ( no hich ups, spurts, misses, nothing ) at speed. A bit rough at an idle though.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

sorry, one last thing. I have noticed no oil in the coolent nor any coolent in the oil. first thing I checked. Car is not running hot either. Oil pressure (according to gauge ) is doing okay as well.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Check your O2 sensor. If its bad your car will run rich and smoke. your gas mileage will also worsen. I was getting around 20 MPG with a bad O2 sensor. Now I'm getting around 30 MPG with a new sensor.
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 03-22-2005, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

car smokes

thanks for the heads up. will check that. Is there a means to which I can check the sensor myself or does this require special tools thus a mechanic.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I dont know the PM schedual on the 02 but its easy to replace on my 924. It sits in front of the catalytic converter. Its screwed into the exhaust pipe. They make a special socket that has a grove for the wire, it is not expensive and you can pick it up at any auto parts store, but I didnt need it. I just used an open end wrench. If it has not been changed for awhile it may be tough to get out. Soak it in PB Blaster and you might need a torch to heat it up. Even if you strip the hole any muffler shop can put in a new one. I have never priced one for a 944 but it will probably cost around $100. Bosch makes a generic one for my car I am unsure about the 944.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

O2 sensor is a easy fix, and a good place to start. My experiance was the same when I bought my 924S. A little smoke on start-up that only got worse. I bought a rebuilt head and the problem went away. Valve stem seals only last so long before they start letting a lot of oil slip past them. Compression, and leak down tests are good places to start before you start buying expensive parts for your car however! Good luck.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

car smokes

Have all ready started to price the part. Ranges from 49 to 150 depending I guess if Bosch or other.
Question : is there a means of testing to find out if it is the o2 sensor or due to the cost it make sense just to replace it. What is required once installed? Can one assume that the sensor "will sense" the correct mix?
newby
Old 03-22-2005, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

car smokes

I am taking the car to a local mechanic to get a compression and leak test. I just talked with the previous owner and he told me the car had a valve job not long ago. Wondering if job was done poorly. The owner was not forth coming on some things. Ooops!
I appreciate all the help. The car has been run pretty hard over the past few days and the funny part is I find no noticable loss of oil.
In any case thanks for the help.
Learning new stuff evreyday!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Keep us informed. Seek the advice of this forum, and "live" the search button. There is so much you can do with your car, with this forum to back you!

Old 03-22-2005, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

car smokes

wish i had this type of forum 25 years ago.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: