Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Blow tranny pics (post yours too)

Ok with all the talk of drifting and burn outs I decided to find the pics of the 2 5 speeds that I have blown up.

First pic, the carrier cracked right in half, I was able to dive it but it made alot of noise and there was soo much play that the output shafts would leak like crazy

this is a pic of when the tranny guy setup my $900 R&P 4:11 gears wrong, Had the pinion depth wrong

So anyway BE careful stuff cost big $$$$$$$

If you got pics of stuff on your car you have blown up post it
Old 03-22-2005, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I love pics
Old 03-22-2005, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Nice pics. The tranny is the weakest link, except for the driver of course. I was lucky enough to buy my 924S for 500 bucks because the R&P was blown to little bits by the PO. Bad for him has been great for me. 45,000 miles in three years!

1991 944S2 Rally #951 Rally-America.com
Old 03-22-2005, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Yea now that I have a used 944 tranny in it everything has been fine for now
Old 03-22-2005, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My used tranny from 20th St Auto in Phoenix is the single most amount of money I have ever had to spend on this car. 600 bucks! It was before I knew of this forum of course, otherwise... I might have gotten off for much less. ;-)

1991 944S2 Rally #951 Rally-America.com
Old 03-22-2005, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Green transmission fluid, do you use Amsoil as well?
Those are ugly pictures. Reminds me, I should probably shim my R&P before it gets too far out of adjustment...

Buy my parts!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

speaking of the tranny being the weakest part of the car, is there anything to solve that problem? like a remanufactured/upgraded transmission? what can be done at a reasonable cost?

"If you make the same mistake twice, doesn't that make a total of three mistakes?"
Old 03-22-2005, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
someday I want to buy some trashed transmissions and learn to rebuild them. That's my dream hobby
Old 03-22-2005, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Ah...................unfortunately, I have several pics of blown R&P's myself. I'll share some of the last one (that went south on the start line of an autocross this past October):

I started on the rebuild this winter, but other life issues have demanded my attention and I have not completed the job. I currently have a 1988 N/A trans installed (the 88 and 89 N/A transmissions are the strongest N/A transmissions to have, they seem to have worked out some of the pinion gear metalurgy issues and are the same part#'s as the ROW transmissions).

I had intended to offer a rebuilding service to fellow 944 owners that included new syncros, bearings, seals, and a cryo'd r&p.........but after doing some heavy thinking and psuedo market research, I decided that it may not be worth the effort, as most would just prefer to pick up another used time bomb for $500 and have it installed.

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff

Last edited by tifosiman; 03-23-2005 at 03:41 AM..
Old 03-23-2005, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
[ This Space Reserved ]

(for when my tranny blows)

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Enthuzed1
speaking of the tranny being the weakest part of the car, is there anything to solve that problem? like a remanufactured/upgraded transmission? what can be done at a reasonable cost?

I've rambled on about this here a little bit in the past. The weak link in the N/A trans is the r&p gears. I don't think it is one specific reason, but a combination of several possible factors:

1. Metalurgy
2. Tolerance issues (with use/wear the tolerance value grows on the r&p gears, and they need to be re-shimmed to bring it back into the proper range. No owners ever have this work done).
3. Driving with the rubber center blown on the stock clutch (puts undue strain on the transmission).
4. (not my theory) Case Flex----I have been told that the case is suspect to flex under hard load, causing the tolerance gap to change on the r&p. I have no way of verifying this.

Reasonable cost? Honestly, it is cheaper to just buy another used transmission at $500 when the old one blows and have it installed or install it yourself. Most 944 owners are cheap, and that seems to be the preferred route. My personal opinion is that one day the amount of available donor cars is going to dwindle and good used 944 transmissions are going to become scarce and more expensive.

The right way to do it (before your old one blows) would be to have your transmission opened up, checked for wear and tolerance on the r&p, shimmed, and replace any synchros and seals that should be replaced while it is open. Of course, this is going to cost more than $500.

The ultimate way to do it would be to have a nice full rebuild, with a cryo'd and REM'd R&P, shimmed properly, with all new seals, bearings, and synchros. If someone sent me their usable core (meaning that the only real damage is to the r&p and some worn synchros/bearings), I would venture to say it would cost around $1800 or so plus shipping. That's with me sourcing the bearings from an alternative source, and the seals/synchros/shims from Porsche. The R&P would come from PowerHaus II. Even though that is a great deal (compared to a brand new trans, plus it would be stronger, IMHO), it's doubtful any 944 N/A owner is going to part with around $2K for a trans rebuild, unfortunately.

So I have basically given up on the idea above, at this point. I'll probably finish the one that I am rebuilding now, and turn around and sell it for what I have into it. Currently I am casually looking for a 968 3.0 motor, and when that gets installed into my car, I'll need to source an S2 trans for that application.......no rebuilt N/A 8V trans would hold up to the power output of the 968 motor, IMHO.

My P-caronline Profile

Sidney Goff
Old 03-23-2005, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

While shot peening and isotropic polishing are both worthwhile treatments for your R&P, cryogenic treatment won't do much of anything.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Geary
While shot peening and isotropic polishing are both worthwhile treatments for your R&P, cryogenic treatment won't do much of anything.
I realize it won't help fight against lash-induced sheer (like the photo above where the tooth on the ring gear sheered off, which I *think* was the first domino to fall in the tranny implosion), but...........wouldn't it help with wear issues? If the ring and pinion are shimmed right, wouldn't cryo treating keep them from wearing as much (thus keeping the tolerance amount in check longer?)?.

Isn't that the reason cryo'd brake rotors are popular? Because they wear longer?

Thanks for your input!

My P-caronline Profile

Sidney Goff
Old 03-23-2005, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
TIFOSIMAN, When I blow this one up Im gonna need you to build me a crazy tranyy. I have also been thinking about getting a 951 tranny and regear it for the NA
Old 03-23-2005, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Brembo spent several hundred thousand dollars testing cryo claims on their own rotors, and found zero difference in wear characteristics. High grade steels (such as those used for gears etc) are especially unaffected by cryogenic treatment (which any heat treating facility could easily perform as a last step to heat treating gears). Claims of cryo magic by a few have no back-up when investigated closely.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yeah, I haven't seen any quantitative test data showing cryo does anything.

Here's another blown NA tranny:

I've got another one I haven't cracked open yet. Gonna scavenge the 5th gear out to stick into my 951 tranny. The 10% taller 5th gear should allow me to not redline 5th @ 7000rpm anymore...
Old 03-25-2005, 01:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jakemu24
Hi, i just changed my tranny fluid and am looking to prevent any costly repairs. What are the best ways to still have fun driving your car but not blow the trans. On the 911 forum someone mentioned that fast shifts are bad for the gearbox, is that true?
Old 03-25-2005, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: