Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to procon
Help, water leak inside cabin

Last week, I reach into the rear passenger floorboard to get a CD & find the carpet is soaked. So I remove the front passenger seat, peel the carpet back, remove the sopping wet sound proofing & found what looked like a couple of cracks in the factory coating on the floorboard, but no holes or rust.
After drying out, just to be on the safe side, I used an epoxy to fill & primed over.

Go out this morning after a hard rain last night & it's soaked again.

Given that it wasn't driven in the rain there has to be a leak, could this be a clogged sunroof drain line?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by procon; 03-23-2005 at 07:33 AM..
Old 03-23-2005, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Battery box has rusted through, most likely. Drips water on the passenger floor.

Remove battery, grind rusted areas out, and J-B Weld a patch over any holes. I sprayed mine with undercoating to prevent future acid damage.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dantilla
Battery box has rusted through, most likely. Drips water on the passenger floor.

Remove battery, grind rusted areas out, and J-B Weld a patch over any holes. I sprayed mine with undercoating to prevent future acid damage.
Nope, battery box is in great shape & the carpet is only wet behind the passenger seat in the floor.
None of the carpet is wet around the door & nothing around the sunroof. Also, the rear hatch has a new seal.
Add to it that the car is parked on a slight incline & that is the high side.
Headed to San Fran early Friday for 6 days & would like to take care of this before I leave.
So, your help would be greatly appreciated!
Off to soak up some water...

Last edited by procon; 03-23-2005 at 07:27 AM..
Old 03-23-2005, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by procon
Given that it wasn't driven in the rain there has to be a leak, could this be a clogged sunroof drain line?
Likely culprit. Either clogged, cracked or bad sunroof seal.

or a bad rear hatch seal (maybe...)

Battery box leak (for me atleast) only affected the front passenger footwell.

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by livewirevoodoo
Likely culprit. Either clogged, cracked or bad sunroof seal.

or a bad rear hatch seal (maybe...)

Battery box leak (for me atleast) only affected the front passenger footwell.
I'm going to try the air compressor & see if I can clear it.
Sunroof seal is in good shape & the rear hatch seal is new.

On a lighter note, I went to the local car wash to vac the water out.
As I finish, I look up & parked right in front of me is a Silver 924!
So, I met Bill & his 1977 924, over 300,000 miles & still rolling!!

Amazing how one thing can turn a crappy day around!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Ok, blew out both drain lines, didn't seem as though they were blocked.
Maybe it will do the trick.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
try running water down the drain holes will make things a bit wet but at least you'll know whats causing the leak!
Old 03-23-2005, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey Procon...had the same problem myself but had some good advice from other members of this post...I bet the car is parked on an incline nose up...rainwater collects in the battery box and drains into the passenger side of the passenger compartment...because the car is on an incline, it settles on the floor behind the passenger side seat...solution to keep it dry is to park it nose-side-down on the incline (back it up the incline)...that way rainwater will go down the windshield, into the battery compartment and drain out the drain holes in the front...

1983 silver 944 - sold to "Ontario Chris"
1968 white 912 - sold to Storm and Spencer in Long Island
Old 03-23-2005, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by bobcat0
Hey Procon...had the same problem myself but had some good advice from other members of this post...I bet the car is parked on an incline nose up...rainwater collects in the battery box and drains into the passenger side of the passenger compartment...because the car is on an incline, it settles on the floor behind the passenger side seat...solution to keep it dry is to park it nose-side-down on the incline (back it up the incline)...that way rainwater will go down the windshield, into the battery compartment and drain out the drain holes in the front...
Nope, nose down.
Plus nothing is wet in front of the seat, just behind.

Going to find out tomarrow with help of my little bro & a garden hose!
Old 03-23-2005, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Check the seal around the door. Mine developed a seperation at the top next to the rear. It would let enough water past to dribble into the back foot well. New seals have their gaps at the bottom.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-23-2005, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 03-23-2005, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rmills944 Send a message via Yahoo to Rmills944
It's your Sunroof.

Take weed-whacker line and run it through the drainage holes along with HOT water and see if you can knock some crap out of the drainage lines.

Also, make sure the sunroof is closing all the way. The adjustments could be off, and you may need to have it readjusted (PITA) or just go with a manual sunroof conversion like I did when this heppened to mine.

And yes, my battery tray was in perfect shape too - everyone just jumps to that conclusion for some reason!
Old 03-24-2005, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Rmills944
It's your Sunroof.

Take weed-whacker line and run it through the drainage holes along with HOT water and see if you can knock some crap out of the drainage lines.

Also, make sure the sunroof is closing all the way. The adjustments could be off, and you may need to have it readjusted (PITA) or just go with a manual sunroof conversion like I did when this heppened to mine.

And yes, my battery tray was in perfect shape too - everyone just jumps to that conclusion for some reason!
LOL
I'll give the weed-whacker line a try, it's a manual roof & locks down tight.
Either way, I'll find out in a few.
Thanks!
Old 03-24-2005, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Banned

Rmills944 thanks for the weed-whacker line trick!
All four drains are working, with any luck that will solve the problem.
Find out when I get back from San Fran.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Yes, so you know my roof is a manual roof. If you search that topic you can find out the details on a manual roof conversion. If you can't find it, PM me for details on it.
Ryan
Old 03-25-2005, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Id' bet on the sunroof seals. Previous owner decided to save money on my 83 & used the top seal in place of the bottom seal. Looked fine, but leaked all over when it rained. Depending on how the car was sitting in the slopped driveway of the PO determined where the water pooled. Ruined an entire carpet set.. Since I replaced the seals with correct, no leaks,,, unfortunately the stains are in the carpet (light brown) for good... maybe next season I'll get around to replaceing it.

Lower sunroof seal... trust me...

Bart
Old 03-26-2005, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ike229
its been raining in daytona for the past 2 days it seems, and i also noticed some water inside of my cabin. Front passenger side, under the floormat. I have already fixed the rust hole in the battery box that was present when i bought the car. The drain on the battery box was a bit clogged, so maybe some water was making its way through the repairs i made? Any other ideas of where the water could be coming from?
'88 Honda Hawk
'75 Honda CB360
Old 03-26-2005, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Banned

Pleased to report that after cleaning the sunroof drains with weed whacker line, no more leak!
Again, Thanks for all the advice guys!!

Last edited by procon; 04-02-2005 at 05:57 AM..
Old 04-02-2005, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I'm glad to hear it worked - see guys, IT'S NOT ALWAYS THE BATTERY BOX!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Banned

LOL
Old 04-04-2005, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: