Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
OT: Need advice on 4 post lifts

Starting to search for a couple of new 4 post lifts for a new garage workshop I'm building. Things have changed since I last installed 2 post.
I need something that will allow a narrow wheel base car, like a Mini or T-bucket to reside on top, as well as my 944... also, how does one handle doing brake work, etc. on the ramp type lift? Any suggestions?
thanks!
Old 03-25-2005, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have a four-post lift, and I love it.

But you are right - since the vehicle is sitting on it's wheels on ramps, you have to place a small jack on the ramp to lift that corner of the car to do brake or suspension work. There is a steel box that some manufatures offer (called a jacking plate), which will allow you to place a jack under the rear axle or front cross member to lift the whole front or back at one time. A two-post lift is better for a mechanic, but a four-post lift lets you safely park one car underneath.

As far as width, my 944 wheels are right in the middle of the ramps - and the ramps are each 19" wide, so maybe you can take some measurements and calc out if a Mini would fit. One manufacturer makes adjustable ramps, but mine are at fixed distances. If you need me to, I could drag my big a$$ out to the garage and measure the open distance - let met know.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: