Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
couple of questions, newb here

Been lurking for awhile, finally decided to post.

Hi all

I bought an 83 944 off me uncle about 2 months ago, and I know this thing is going to cost me more than most people put in their kids collage fund, but I do LOVE it.

2 questions for now, but I'm sure more will follow.

Windshield washer doesn't work. I replaced the pump, and no dice. I know the pump works and the lines are clear, because if I attach the wires straight to the battery I get fluid. I'm preety sure the lever in for the wiper control works, since the wipers come on when I pull the lever in, but there isn't any juice going to the pump itself. I haven't tested the line with a multi-meter yet, so I'm not sure if there is power there or not. I tried using the + wire off the stock pump wiring and using a different ground and still nothing. I'm pretty sure there isn't a fuse attached to the wiper pump, and the only relay I've seen listed is for the headlight washers, which I don't have. So is my only option to try and trace the wire from the pump back to its source, or is there something easier I'm missing?

Second question, please don't laugh. Someone, somewhere took off the license plate bracket assembly, etc. off the rear of the car. The only lights I have for my plate are a set of windshield washer lights hooked up. This actually doesn't look bad, but I've already been told its not going to pass inspection. Where can I get a light assembly? The only thing I've found are the after market for show neon ones, which aren't legal in my area, and sure won't help solve my problem. I'd kind of like it to be original, but I might end up at the junk yards looking for something, if I can't find anything to order online.

Any help much appreciated

I'm a few miles south of harrisburg, PA, so anyone in the area, drop me a line.

This was probably posted from my phone, so please excuse any typos.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Welcome to P car ownership and welcome to Pelican. You can get those lights in many catalogs. I would check Pelican first. If they dont have them you can get a set from somebody who is parting a car out.

Welcome to the board!!

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 03-25-2005, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
BTW the 83's are the best!
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 03-25-2005, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Welcome to the board.

I had the same problem with my windshield washer last year. I cleaned and adjusted the contacts in the steering column. It has been working great ever since.

And yes, '83s are the best.....

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 03-25-2005, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
lol, washer problems... another item on my list Good luck and welcome.

(83's are the best)
Old 03-25-2005, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Welcome, and

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanthompson

(83's are the best)
DITTO
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 03-25-2005, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Welcome to the P club....
I had the same problem as well as the fact that my headlights where always on high beam. I removed the steering column switch, drilled out the rivets, cleaned everything up, re-riveted everything and now all is well!!! Have fun....

86 944
Burgundy interior/exterior
Old 03-26-2005, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the input and the warm welcome. Not sure when I'll get to take another look at it, but definatley will let you guys know how I make out.

This was probably posted from my phone, so please excuse any typos.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Ah, about the timing and balance shaft belts....

When was the last time/milage these were changed????
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Ah, about the timing and balance shaft belts....

When was the last time/milage these were changed????
The belts were replaced about a year ago (2,000 miles), along with a complete valve job. I'll still taking it down to the local foriegn car place next Tuesday, to get the belts checked out, just to be safe. No worry's really, it's sitting in a garage right now, till I get some time.

Thanks again for the input guys. I haven't had a chance to do to much to it yet, other than change the oil. There is just way to much overtime this month, so I probably won't tackle any of these problems for a few more weeks.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rmills944 Send a message via Yahoo to Rmills944
I WANT YOUR MANUAL STEERING RACK!!!

windshield washers - not sure on that one. Mine are broken too, but it's hasn't seen rain in over a year, so it's fine with me.

Lights - check pelican for parts (call if you need to and they'll help), or Performance Products (no one likes them, but they've never done me wrong) or Paragon products ('SKIP' over on the Rennlist board works there).
Old 04-11-2005, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: