Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Automatic Transmission Rattle...

Hey folks, long time no post.

Here's the issue at hand:
Recently there has been this rattling sound coming from under my car. At first, I thought it was just my catalytic converter; however, I just got that replaced, and it didn't solve the rattling entirely - the cat was bad, so it was rattling a little.
Once I picked up the car, I noticed that the rattling could still be heard. I Brought it to the attention of my mechanic, and had him take a look at it. Soon after, he informed me that the noise was coming from my trans. I thought to myself, "How could this rattling noise be coming from my transmission;" due to the fact that I had recently gotten it rebuilt, and has no more than 20,000 miles on it (give or take a humma humma). After bringing up this point to my current mechanic, he recommended for me to take it back to where I got the transmission work done, and have them check it out.
After having the original mechanic take a look at it, I got the same answer, "It's coming from your transmission." I arrived at his shop with the understanding that it has been roughly 4 years since it was installed, and there would be no reason for him to magically offer me a brand new transmission for free and offer me an installation service that would only take a few minutes to accomplish. <smirks> Nevertheless, I come to find out that this shop had stopped working on 944's all together roughly three years back. After hearing stated information, I ask if he recommended any location that would do work on my trans, or even take a look at it - knowing that not many places will even touch my trans, due to it being audi. He then stated, "No," and I left... So basically, I am now at the same point I was previously.

Here's some information about the rattling:
- The rattling itself is loudest while the car is warming up; or rather, when it's still cold.
- Once the car is warmed up, the noise is more prevalent when it's in gear; opposed to when it's in Park/Neutral.
- The transmission seems to be working as well as it has been since I had it rebuilt. Gear change is smooth. No slippage.

Basic vehicle specs:
Model: 944 n/a
Year: 1985 (early)
Current Odometer: 82,435
Transmission: Automatic
Recently work completed: (Mileage roughly stated)
> Transmission: 64,000
> Flex Disc: 64,000
> Radiator: 67,000
> Exhaust Manifolds: 75,000
> Water Pump & Belts: 81,000
> Catalytic Converter: 82,000

... Any ideas?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Replace the rubber center disk that couples the flywheel to the drive shaft. You will soon wear through the safety ears and loose the connection between the engine and the transmissions torque converter.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-25-2005, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is this difficult to do?

How much would it be in parts?
Labor?
Time?

So it's not the transmission?
What could cause this?
Please do let me know.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Have to either pull the engine or the trans and drive shaft (most likely). Basically the same as doing a clutch on a manual trans car. The disk is expensive at over $600 new. If you buy used you are wasting the time it takes to change it.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Pelican list the damper at $830.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

That has already been replaced.
Note: > Flex Disc: 64,000 (as listed under recent work completed)

Nonetheless, wouldn't the rattling be coming from near the front/middle of the vehicle if it were the damper plate? The noise is coming from right around where the transmission is... That is why I first thought it was the exhaust that was rattling.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
If the torque converter is rattling there is a chance that the keeper clip was not replaced on the shout of the drive shaft and it has moved back pushing the torque converter into the transmission.

Could be that the TC is loose or the damper is loose or a bad bearing in the torque tube. Lots of points to consider.

Search this forum for repair shops in the LA area.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Alright, thanks. Much appreciated...
Old 03-25-2005, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AznDrgn
Make sure the coupling that holds the torque tube shaft to the tranny shaft is tight.
'78 Porsche 924 NA- RIP
'89 Porsche 944 S2 - Parted

Looking for a nice 944S for a daily driver.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Will do, thanks.

[I don't know what I'd do without this forum]
Old 03-25-2005, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944_parts/944_83-85/Pic47.jpg

in the diagram, the ‘rubber damper’ is part # 21 and attaches to the flywheel. they last about 60k miles but I see you know that ;-))

at the other end of the torque tube part # 2 is the ‘flex plate’ which bolts up to the torque converter and is coupled to the shaft with part # 3. I agree, there’s good chance one of these needs attention.

Early '85 944
Old 03-25-2005, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Alright, cool, thanks for the diagram. Much appreciated.
I'll be bringing all information stated to my mechanic Monday morning.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: