Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
oil pressure problems

Well after three weeks of waiting for parts and special tools I finally got her running. This morning I drove into work for the first time (about a 30min ride). Just as I was pulling into the parking lot, the oil light came on showing no oil pressure. If I reved it a little it would go to maybe 1br. I was able to coast into a parking spot and now I'm waiting for the tow truck.

A little history:
Bought the car 1 month ago. Oil leaking everywhere. Replaced all the front seals and o-rings. After I got it together I started it up and ran great, I still noticed a small leak around the oil cooler.
I drove the car to my nearest Porsche parts place (about 1hr each way), got the oil cooler seals, no problems in the whole trip. I replaced the seals but didn't have the alignment tool (some people believe with the updated valve you really don't need it). After I tighten the cooler I was able to remove and reinstall the pressure valve easily.

Am I correct in assuming the pressure valve is out of alignment?

Another thing I noticed:
This might be a seporate issue, but before the oil pressure problem, I noticed it running rough between 4-5K RPM. After 5K, it ran great again.

Can anyone help? It's an 87 944na.
87 944na - Old Daily Driver, now 944 CUP
03 Chevy Avalanche- Support Vehicle
70 Olds 442 W30 Conv- Gone but not forgotten
http://www.diazracing.com
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 03-28-2005, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
I wonder if you OPRV is stuck open, When you say its running rough do you mean its virbrating? The reason why I ask is when I did my engine one of the balance shafts was 180 degrees out making some nasty vibrations, Me not knowing any better (didnt know about this forum yet) Drove it for weeks and weeks until one day my oil pickup broke in half because of the vibration causing metal fatigue. Could this happen to you?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
How tight is the crank bolt? Has to be over 150 foot pounds. This holds the "gear" in the oil pump from turning.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-28-2005, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'm thinking the oil pressure valve is out of align. The crank is torqued to 150lb. The rough running problem seems like an missing maybe ignition (aftermarket wires) or mixure. The balance shafts are dead on.
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 03-28-2005, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
My discoveries:
I took the pressure valve off and found the o-ring all gummed up. I did put some greese around the o-ring as it's customery for me to do. The greese looks like it gummed up and didn't let the valve do it's job. I'll be purchasing a new o-ring tomorrow. I loosened up the oil cooler anyway and I'll reinstall the valve tomorrow then tighten up the cooler.
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 03-28-2005, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

hey sorry to butt in but i just did all my front end work and all my belts and i remember that i used an impact wrench to tighten the crankshaft bolt.....can i use a torque wrench just to be sure or will that cause the belts to slip and move a couple teeth?!?

"If you make the same mistake twice, doesn't that make a total of three mistakes?"
Old 03-28-2005, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Enthuzed1
hey sorry to butt in but i just did all my front end work and all my belts and i remember that i used an impact wrench to tighten the crankshaft bolt.....can i use a torque wrench just to be sure or will that cause the belts to slip and move a couple teeth?!?
Impact wrench????????? It's not a Chevy. I would loosen it and retorque it, althought I don't think an impact wrench will go 150#.
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 03-29-2005, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Originally posted by Enthuzed1

....can i use a torque wrench just to be sure or will that cause the belts to slip and move a couple teeth?!?

Yes, and yes.

You need a 'flywheel' lock before you attempt to tighten the crank bolt to 155 ft/lb.

Good luck
JM
Old 03-29-2005, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Update:

I took the oil cooler off again, because it was the last thing I worked on. Put it all back together paying close attention to the valve and making sure it was centered. I started it up and...........................no pressure.

I took the pressure valve off and started the car, not a drop of oil. Now, my attention is pointing to the oil pump area. I'm going to take the front covers off and check the sleeve on the crank. If that's ok my next step is to drop the oil pan.

Not sure if this helps out but, the oil pressure dropped just as I was getting off the highway and down shifting. It didn't really rev high maybe 4K.
Another thing, I changed the oil last week, 30miles ago. When I changed it I cleaned the oil plug of the normal gray gook. Now, I dropped the oil again, to see it there's anything there, and it's all full of black gook. Any ideas? Might it be from the greese I used to lube everything?
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 03-30-2005, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
You can back prime the pump by pouring oil down the center hole on the filter housing. I had a problem with no pressure on a used engine that had sat for a while. It was the oil filter.

May be the oil pick up has broken off or come loose (per prior post).
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-30-2005, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I took apart the front covers and the crank gears. The bolt seemed as if was still in torque spec, everything else seems good including the oil pump sleeve.
The greese used was minimal, it was just enough to coat the o-rings and seals. I'm going to try and blow some air and feed some oil through the oil filter housing. If the pump is clogged, that should help.
If I end up lowering the pan, I do plan on changing the rob bearings, not sure if I should change the mains also.
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 03-31-2005, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by armandodiaz
[B]I took apart the front covers and the crank gears. The bolt seemed as if was still in torque spec, everything else seems good including the oil pump sleeve.
As SoCalDriver mentioned above, the oil pump gear might be loose. But now that you took the gears above you can't easily test it. I would try to put things on the crankshaft back together, and see if there is tight fit, i.e. it should be impossible to spin the timing or balance gear on the crankshaft even by a fraction of a degree.
Another sign of spinning oil pum sleeve are grooves in the nearby sprockets, including the grove made by spinning washer. Inspect the parts again, maybe you'll find something suspecious.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I didn't find anything definate. What I did find was the oil seal to the pickup tube seemed melted and deformed. After inspecting the new seal I believe this is the culprit.

OK I finally got some parts in. I had taken the oil pump apart and resealed it. I also had to change the bearings on the lower balance shaft and resealed that.
I purchased the pickup tube and all the other seals around it. Of course I'm going to change the rod bearings also.

One question on the return tube, the one pictured on this board and at the dealer has the tube extending into the crank carrier with a seal around it. When I took my old one off there was no seal and the tube was flush with the crank carrier. Is this right for an 87?
adiaz@diazracing.com

Last edited by armandodiaz; 04-20-2005 at 03:54 PM..
Old 04-20-2005, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I'VE GOT OIL PRESSURE!

For future referrence here's what I did:

After carefully putting the oil cooler back on and evenly tightening the bolts, I took the pressure valve off. I took the advise from another post and got a 1/2" clear hose with a funnel and stuck it in there. I filled it with oil and took off the spark plugs. I started spinning the engine backwards. I didn't see much oil being fed plus there was oil coming out from the bottom of the tube so I'm not sure if this helped. I then took my oil filler pump (the one I use for filling the trans gear oil) and pumped oil into the oil pressure hole as I was spinning the engine (counter-clockwise). I made sure to fill it with plenty of oil and quickly install the pressure valve. I then filled the all the cavities atop of the oil filter housing, put back the oil filter and started spinning the engine with the ignition (spark plugs where still out). After about 30sec, the oil pressure needle started bouncing. I was shocked because I had lost all hope, I started cranking again and the needle went to 4bars. I installed the spark plugs and airbox and started the car. At 10:30 last night I finally got oil pressure! The lifters still sound a little noisy, hopefully as I drive it, it'll go away. Now I've got to pull the pan back down (it's only being held by 4 bolts) change the bearings and put everything else back together. For the record, I believe the seal around the oil filler tube was the problem. It looked melted and deformed, plus as I was looking through my old books I found a tech article on it.
I didn't waste any money as I changed parts that normally go bad anyway like the pickup tube, bearings, seals... What I did spend was alot of time, I bought the car a little more than a month ago and it's been on jack stands for 3 weeks. I also got a large dose of why I quit working as a tech and went to college. It gave me memories (not great ones) of when I was working on the line, in the 80s. Since I've spent $1,500 on this car, fixing everthing wrong with it (sunroof, climate control, odo, alarm, sound system, frt seals, rod bearings, pickup tube, oil cooler seals, motor mounts...), I'm expecting this car not to give me anymore problems for a long while.
Hopefully I 'll be driving by this weekend.

Thanks everyone for helping out.
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 04-26-2005, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: