Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to PhillysMostWntd
Question Start up Problems

ok so yesterday as i was investigating the possible solutions to my blinker problems, i got bored and decided to rewire my amp and stereo, after it was all completed i started it up and it ran rough, then the idle dropped and it died, sounded very... odd, im not sure how to explain it but it really scared me, i tried twice more and still no start, so i started it for the third time and gave it alot of gas and it finally started, but it ran rough (i gave it 3-4 revs up to 5000 RPM) and it came back to normal and dropped to the regular 950 rpm idle, it was just a little cold outside roughly 45 degrees, and i noticed when i start it up on cold days it idles rough, although that seems normal for cold start ups, i noticed my exhaust had a strong fuel smell like it was burning too rich, is this normal? has anyone else had similar problems? i also noticed there is a ticking sound coming from my belts once in a while, i want to find out if this is something i should worry about before it becomes a real problem

thanks
Old 03-28-2005, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
So starting before the stereo install was OK?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-28-2005, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
sounds normal for a cold morning start... it should smooth out after warming up. however, revving a cold engine to 5000rpm is frowned upon.. the manual mentions keeping it below 3000rpm until warm. the running rich smell is normal, too, atleast for me, until the o2 sensor warms up... i'd pull the cover off of the belt and check out that ticking sound..

regarding te stereo/amp... what does your voltage guage show? i'd think u'd want atleast 12v... anything lower and maybe not enough power getting to your plugs?? not quite sure about this...

simple way of checking is remove the power lead from battery to amp under similar start conditions and see if its any better.

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

well starting up before the stereo was usually ok, it just does it more often now, im not sure if its because its getting colder or what, and the reason i revved to 5000 rpm was to keep the car from dieing, the sound it makes on certain days makes me shiver with fear, lol, and i pulled the cover off already and i still cant figure out whats causing the ticking noise, do you think my timing could be off or something?

and i checked the volts and with the stereo and car on its at 12.57
Old 03-29-2005, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Ok... 12+ should be ok voltage wise... Is the scary sound just the ticking, or something in addition to the ticking? I don't think there is such as thing as "off" timing (ppl feel free to correct if i've misspoke). Either the belt is working, or you've just experienced catastrophic belt failure/valve damage. When was the last time the belt/rollers were done?

Running rough could be attributed to alot of things.. Vaccuum leak, bad AFM are two that come to mind.

Once she warms up, do you still hear the noise / is she running rough then?

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Talking

after its warmed up, i can only hear it at low rpms, and the ticking slows down, but at high rpms i cant tell if it ticks, engine noise over takes it, yeah i heard a bad afm can be the cause of a few problems so i was thinkin aboug getting an aftermarket one i guess, a bit pricey though so ill have to save up, upon the many many other things i am saving up for
Old 03-31-2005, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: