Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

belt stuff

I'm adjusting my belts, it is the first I've inspected them since I purchased the 944. My lower balance shaft was 180 out, and I've corrected that, and adjusted the tension thanks to Clark's Garage. I'm Looking at my timing belt now and it seems to be 10lbs too tight according to the Blaszak tool. I'm trying to decide whether to change the tension. I probably will because it is too tight, but it hasn't given me any problems, and the whole interference design is causing trepidation. Anyhow, I'm tring to attach a picture of my pin spanner. Haven't found one for sale locally, and my borther-in-law is building a better one in a machine shop, but I got impatient. Basically I saw one of similar design a while back on this site, and thought maybe someone would like to see what I did.

It isn't pretty, but it worked.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Take a look at Harbor Freight for a pin spanner. These are adjustable and used for large hand held buffers and grinders to change the wheels.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-28-2005, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
I got my tools here: http://arnnworx.com/ He sells the spanner by itself for $35
Old 03-28-2005, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
What is the Blaszak tool? Is that like the Krickit?

Edit: found this page: http://www.blaszakprecision.com/Belts.html
Krickit:
Blaszak (Optibelt):

Any difference?

Last edited by bryanthompson; 03-28-2005 at 05:39 PM..
Old 03-28-2005, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I would take it to the shop for a belt tension probably $70-$100, but I am anal about those things.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
$4 at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36554
Old 03-28-2005, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Well sure there's a difference, the optibelt is red and more expensive.

Probably there is little (no) difference, but Blaszak does mark the tool with the values the belts should be tensioned to, and he has a pretty good site for tensioning instructions. He's taken the time to support a more reasonable tool for tensioning the belts for the 944, and so I have no problem supporting his business. Just like I have knowingly paid more for parts from Pelican Parts because of this site.

There are limited local outlets for tool supplies. Sears didn't have a pin spanner in stock, neither did any auto parts stores I checked. There is no Harbor Freight nearby. I kept my eyes open expecting to find the tool so I wouldn't have to order it, but never did. Winter is over and I wanted to do the belt work, so I made one. It won't last for more than a couple of belt jobs, but it did the trick this time. I am having one made, and would reccomend something better, but in a pinch it is an option.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I can go over to Harbor Freight later tomorrow. PM me your address.

Anyone else want one for cost plus shipping???
Old 03-28-2005, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
God, that pin spanner would have been worth $4 - and then another $30 if i would have seen it two weeks ago! I had a look for one without success, so I made do with a wooden device similar to Taz's, but I never bothered with the cutout and just settled for a wrench tucked behind it - not pretty, or easy (it kept on breaking), but I believe challenges like that are 'character building'! I'm glad I didn't go for the 'character building' exercise described in Haynes of using a screwdriver in the flywheel for the flywheel lock - I splashed out the cash for a flywheel lock from Arnnworx and was worth every penny!

I believe the Blasak and Kriket are the same - my kriket is yellow (and very oily), bought from NAPA.

Hugh, by the way, thanks for the tips you gave me on 'the other place' .

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944
Old 03-28-2005, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Old 03-28-2005, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: