Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy Sunroof acting up

I suppose I can consider myself lucky...I've been able to enjoy my car all winter without any issues...until now.

I'm driving to work this morning and want to lift the rear of the roof for some fresh air and it won't lift. I figure it's a blown fuse as it was working fine yesterday.

I get to Starbuck's for the obligatory cup of espresso and turn the key to the first position and lo and behold the arms retract?? I engage the arms before driving to work and try the roof and it still won't lift.

I get to work and try the disengaging again and the arms retract but this time they won't engage?? So I leave my car in the parking lot with the sunroof just laying there and the arms retracted.

I had recently replaced both gears and used the proper adjustment techniques and it was working fine before today. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Sounds like your infamous sunroof gears have stripped. This is a common problem with these cars. A great instructional can be found here: www.clarks-garage.com

The gears themselves are cheap to replace, just make sure they're correctly aligned - or you'll be changing them out a week later (ask me how I know ).
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 03-30-2005, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iobound
I'm about to replace my two plastic gears this weekend. What's the story on aligning them? I don't think I noticed an alignment proceedure on clarks-garage.com. BTW, I contributed a small amount of money to clarks-garage.com's owner. I think anyone that uses the site should do that once in a while. It's worth it. The site is EXTREMLY helpful.
1988 944 NA w/4valve S motor (Daily Driver)
1992 965 Coupe 3.4 Liter, webers, GE60 (Garage Queen)
1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
2002 Barbie Electric Kids Jeep
Old 03-30-2005, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

the gears are fine. It seems like an intermitent electrical problem.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to auh
I hate the sunroof, mine was only working part time so I assumed it was a broken switch, I just ordered a new one hoping it gets fixed. But as this nice whether is here early, I've had to use a flat head and turn the motor manually
Old 03-30-2005, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sounds like your car doesn't realize the roof is in place. This is probably due to the microswitch between the sunvisors. It is under the plastic contact plate that the roof hits when in position. Some one correct me if I am wrong, but isn't one of the function of this switch to tell the motor that the sunroof is in place and it is OK to raise it on the later models?
Nate
Old 03-30-2005, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that the contact point can be altered on this microswitch by removing the two small rubber hole covers on the actual sunroof, and using a hex key (4mm I believe) to change the position of the tab on the sunroof that stirkes the contact plate when the sunroof is on.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

When this happened on my car, it turned out to be the microswitch that is up by the dome light as mentioned above. This does not seem to be an uncommon problem. I solved mine as others have before me by removing the switch and connecting the two wires direct. Be careful about the little plastic part as it breaks real easily (ask how I know).
Old 03-31-2005, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: