Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/)
-   -   just an update on no start (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/213684-just-update-no-start.html)

max29a 03-30-2005 08:13 AM

just an update on no start

Hello,

Still trying to track down what was intermittent engine power loss, and is now a no start. Engine cranks fine but never fires up. I have replaced fuel filter, checked TPS, checked that fuel comes out the end of the rail, and I just got done checking DME itself for bad solder joints.

Next up I plan to check spark, check DME relay again. This is the 3rd relay that has been stuck in the car, but I guess its worth cracking it open just to make sure they werent all bad or something.

Just a note: the car sat for a month, and when I came back to it the battery was totally dead. Is this normal? Does this point to any other things I should check?
I am a newbie, what do I do to check grounds?

Thanks

JRMock 03-30-2005 10:18 AM

A new/good battery should be able to sit in the car for a month, and still crank it...something is draining the battery...radio, light, alarm, etc.

Poor/bad grounds are hard to find. Start with the ground for the DME and main fuse panels.

Intermettant power loss, and now no start? hmmm...check the set-screw in the rotor button.

good luck

JM
:cool:

SoCal Driver 03-30-2005 01:14 PM

Follow the ground cable from the battery and clean every contact point. Especially on the block to chassis.

Do you have power to the coil with the ingition turned on?

Do you have power to the injectors with the ignition turned on?

Can you hear the fuel pump running for a second after you stop cranking?

chitown944 03-30-2005 09:10 PM

Sounds a little like when my fuel pressure regulator went out. Unplug one of the injectors and see if she fires. If she does bad FPR. If not dunno.

DannoXYZ 03-30-2005 09:25 PM

Hmm, battery being dead after a month is normal. Typically, you want to keep it on a trickle charger or drive it once a week to keep the battery charged.

As for the no-start, do you have spark? That is, pull the cable out of the center of the distributor, stick a spark-plug in it and rest on the distributor housing. Crank, do you have spark?

Fuel is a little tougher to test. Pull fuel-rail, put little clear plastic cups under the injectors and crank. Do you have fuel-squirting into the cups? Make sure you put the spark-plug wire back in so you don't ignite yourself on fire. This test is the ONLY definitive procedure for fuel. You may have power to the fuel-pump and it dumps fuel out the end of the rail, but if the FPR or dampener is clogged or if you don't have power to the injectors, no fuel will enter the engine.

max29a 03-31-2005 07:35 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I cracked open the DME relay to double check it this morning and it looks brand new. About a half inch of one of the copper wraps had come off and was being sandwiched in the relay when it was given voltage. I put the copper wire back where it should be but somehow I really doubt that that was the problem.

I have this entire Saturday scheduled for working on the 944 with friends helping so I will definitely try all of your suggestions then and keep you updated.

ae1969 03-31-2005 10:43 AM

Do this...

Quote:

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Follow the ground cable from the battery and clean every contact point. Especially on the block to chassis.

Do you have power to the coil with the ingition turned on?

Do you have power to the injectors with the ignition turned on?

Can you hear the fuel pump running for a second after you stop cranking?

and this

Quote:

Originally posted by Chitown
Sounds a little like when my fuel pressure regulator went out. Unplug one of the injectors and see if she fires. If she does bad FPR. If not dunno.

Report back.........

todwic 03-31-2005 02:14 PM

speed and position sensors.

Roger Hall 03-31-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by todwic
speed and position sensors.
Yes

max29a 04-02-2005 12:06 PM

SUCCESS!!!

well I reinstalled my DME, DME relay, bought a new battery.
I then went to test the speed and ref sensors and as I grabbed the connector it fell apart. I plugged it back in and the car started right up!

I feel dumb for not checking that sooner, but I know how to do more on my car and then engine bay is a bit cleaner.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

chitown944 04-02-2005 09:22 PM

Where are the speed and just so I know

DannoXYZ 04-04-2005 04:32 AM

The speed/ref/ sensor connectors are on a metal bracket at the rear of the engine. They are rectangular in shape. The round O2-sensor connector is on that bracket as well.

Max, gimme a call, I may have some extra 3-pin male & female connectors...

max29a 04-04-2005 07:45 AM

I will give you a call... the plastic housing on both speed and ref sensors are broken where they connect at that bracket. For now I electrical taped them together and removed the bracket and put it in my glove box.