Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

just an update on no start

Hello,

Still trying to track down what was intermittent engine power loss, and is now a no start. Engine cranks fine but never fires up. I have replaced fuel filter, checked TPS, checked that fuel comes out the end of the rail, and I just got done checking DME itself for bad solder joints.

Next up I plan to check spark, check DME relay again. This is the 3rd relay that has been stuck in the car, but I guess its worth cracking it open just to make sure they werent all bad or something.

Just a note: the car sat for a month, and when I came back to it the battery was totally dead. Is this normal? Does this point to any other things I should check?
I am a newbie, what do I do to check grounds?

Thanks

oil change done at 270k
timing belt done at 240k
Old 03-30-2005, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

A new/good battery should be able to sit in the car for a month, and still crank it...something is draining the battery...radio, light, alarm, etc.

Poor/bad grounds are hard to find. Start with the ground for the DME and main fuse panels.

Intermettant power loss, and now no start? hmmm...check the set-screw in the rotor button.

good luck

JM
Old 03-30-2005, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Follow the ground cable from the battery and clean every contact point. Especially on the block to chassis.

Do you have power to the coil with the ingition turned on?

Do you have power to the injectors with the ignition turned on?

Can you hear the fuel pump running for a second after you stop cranking?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-30-2005, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sounds a little like when my fuel pressure regulator went out. Unplug one of the injectors and see if she fires. If she does bad FPR. If not dunno.

Traded - 86 944 Turbo Guards Red. RIP - 85.5 944 Guards Red
Old 03-30-2005, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hmm, battery being dead after a month is normal. Typically, you want to keep it on a trickle charger or drive it once a week to keep the battery charged.

As for the no-start, do you have spark? That is, pull the cable out of the center of the distributor, stick a spark-plug in it and rest on the distributor housing. Crank, do you have spark?

Fuel is a little tougher to test. Pull fuel-rail, put little clear plastic cups under the injectors and crank. Do you have fuel-squirting into the cups? Make sure you put the spark-plug wire back in so you don't ignite yourself on fire. This test is the ONLY definitive procedure for fuel. You may have power to the fuel-pump and it dumps fuel out the end of the rail, but if the FPR or dampener is clogged or if you don't have power to the injectors, no fuel will enter the engine.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I cracked open the DME relay to double check it this morning and it looks brand new. About a half inch of one of the copper wraps had come off and was being sandwiched in the relay when it was given voltage. I put the copper wire back where it should be but somehow I really doubt that that was the problem.

I have this entire Saturday scheduled for working on the 944 with friends helping so I will definitely try all of your suggestions then and keep you updated.

oil change done at 270k
timing belt done at 240k
Old 03-31-2005, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Do this...

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Follow the ground cable from the battery and clean every contact point. Especially on the block to chassis.

Do you have power to the coil with the ingition turned on?

Do you have power to the injectors with the ignition turned on?

Can you hear the fuel pump running for a second after you stop cranking?
and this

Quote:
Originally posted by Chitown
Sounds a little like when my fuel pressure regulator went out. Unplug one of the injectors and see if she fires. If she does bad FPR. If not dunno.

Report back.........
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-31-2005, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
speed and position sensors.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by todwic
speed and position sensors.
Yes

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

SUCCESS!!!

well I reinstalled my DME, DME relay, bought a new battery.
I then went to test the speed and ref sensors and as I grabbed the connector it fell apart. I plugged it back in and the car started right up!

I feel dumb for not checking that sooner, but I know how to do more on my car and then engine bay is a bit cleaner.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

oil change done at 270k
timing belt done at 240k
Old 04-02-2005, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Where are the speed and just so I know

Traded - 86 944 Turbo Guards Red. RIP - 85.5 944 Guards Red
Old 04-02-2005, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The speed/ref/ sensor connectors are on a metal bracket at the rear of the engine. They are rectangular in shape. The round O2-sensor connector is on that bracket as well.

Max, gimme a call, I may have some extra 3-pin male & female connectors...
Old 04-04-2005, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I will give you a call... the plastic housing on both speed and ref sensors are broken where they connect at that bracket. For now I electrical taped them together and removed the bracket and put it in my glove box.

oil change done at 270k
timing belt done at 240k
Old 04-04-2005, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: