Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

belts again

I'm trying to tension my timing belt, but I'm having problems. The tension changes. The tension isn't uniform for the entire belt, and if I turn the crank I can change the tension where I'm measuring. I thought it was correct and when I started the car the belt was so loose it was flapping all around. So I tightened the belt a little and by turning the crank I can make it way too tight, or where it was reading before I changed the tension. By turning the crank a little counter-clockwise I can make it way too lose. What am I doing wrong?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check the tension after revolving the crank two times clockwise from dead center. Rotate until the camshft sprocket alignment mark is lined up at TDC and then back off 1 1/2 teeth. Check the tension along the cam belt along the longest span if you are using the Krikit tool. If you are using the porsche tool clarksgarage.com will tell you how to use it. Note: The crank does not need to be rotated and backed off at all while checking the balance belt. Only for the cam/timing belt.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The belt run between the crank and the cam pulley is always in tension as the engine turns clock wise. When you turn the engine backwards you tension the belt on the water pump side. I've always turned the engine clock wise to tension the belt and adjusted the tensioner pulley to have just a noticeable bit of slack on each side of it. Then rotate the engine a bit backwards to tension the water pump side and check the slack in the long run of the belt. Should be enough to hit the roller but not enough to hit the metal divider on the water pump.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Many thanks gentlemen.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: