Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Anyone else tired of justifying their 944 releated purchases?

Man, I'm getting really fed up with this. I'm 18, I work 6 days a week while going to HS, I do my own work and pay my own way. So far, I've managed to save about 50-55% of what I've made, and that's after buying my 944, paying insurance (which as the sole driver, is ungodly expensive), paying for parts, paying for gas and paying for entertainment. I've got a nice little sum in the bank, considering the above. I could trade my car in, pay the balance in cash and walk away with a 968 if I really wanted to. And yet I seem to have to justify the parts I buy for the 944. I ordered some Frozen Rotors, which, while not cheap, I have yet to hear a bad thing about. Paying $100 over Zimmermans or the like seemed acceptable to me for the added quality. What's saving $100 if you have to spend another $300 to replace the part sooner? My brother flipped out on me when he found out saying that he could have gotten me cross drilled Zimmermans for somewhere around $100 less. I told him I didn't want them because they have a better chance of cracking, have less surface area, and I read that the Hawk HPS pads are rough on them. His solution? "Don't be so hard on the brakes then, just get something to get it back on the road." Right, because I bought the car to drive around like a 1988 Olds Cutlass. Sorry, no dice, I enjoy having really good brakes.

And then I caught **** for buying adjustable KONIs, Weltmeister springs and an 18mm sway bar. After all, what do I need that for? Aren't the ones already on the car fine? Why am I going to "waste" my money on it? Then I'm told to "just pay someone to do the tie rods and ball joints". If the issue is me "wasting" the money, then why in the hell would I pay through the nose to have someone else do some work? Why not save a couple hundred and do it myself? I've got the internet, Porsche shop manuals, Haynes and I know some local wrenches, you think I'm not going to be able to figure it out?

Nobody else has to drive it, and nobody else has to pay for it, so why does everyone else have to bother me about the parts that I choose to buy? So I happen to like quality parts, where's the problem with that if I can afford it? Is there anyone else out there who feels like everytime they turn around there is someone breathing down their neck about the parts they choose to put on their car?

Grrr....

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 03-31-2005, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Take it easy man. The only person you have to justify your purchases to is yourself. Just smile when people give you sh%$. Most people through money away by drinking or smoking or by many other acts. Doing your own wrenching is the best way to go since it saves you money and gets you invloved in your cars maintenance. As for rotor I purchased a "cheap set" and after 10,000 miles they are cracked bad. that is without cross drilling them. So now I need to replace then once more. The car is not your fathers Buick. It's a Porsche for god sake.
Keep your chin up.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 03-31-2005, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to michaelathome Send a message via Yahoo to michaelathome
It is not just car parts it is sounds like you take a similar position to mine in that you do not mind spending a few extra $'s for nice things.

There is no problem with that. As an example, several years ago I had purchased a wallet from a company called Ghurka. It cost about 3 times what an EB or other generic wallet would cost at $130. I had that wallet for more than 6 years and it still looked like new, maybe that's why the dog felt so compelled to eat it! My girlfriend at the time felt guilty about it and bought me an EB wallet as a replacement cause she did not understand the concept of $ for quality. Needless to say that wallet lasted about 2 years before falling apart at the seems.

I now have my new Ghurka and have for the past 3 years. Still like new Oh if there is EVER a problem with stiching ect, you send it back to them and they either repair it or send a new wallet. How could I complain?

Do others always understand, no. Do I still listen to "I can't believe you spent ?" Yes. Will I keep up with what I am doing? Of course I will. You work for what you have or can have. Buy what you want and enjoy it.

How are those rotors BTW?

Michael
Old 03-31-2005, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Lie, like the rest uf us?

"Expensive? Heck no. I hardly ever have to do anything but fill up the tank. Porsches are cheap to maintain. Really!!"
Old 03-31-2005, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You spend a long time in the ground...Do what makes you happy, why else do you work? It helps you deal with working hard when you have a toy like a Porsche to look forward to and fawn over. You don't need to convince anyone else. Next time you choose an upgrade, keep it to yourself. Nobody but you needs to know...

Enjoy the car..

Peace,

Tony

1998 Glacier White Boxster
1971 Fiat 124 Spyder
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Old 03-31-2005, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Toady... No need to justify it. Unless ya have a kid who isn't being fed, or a wife or girl (apparently, "gifts" make them feel special or something).

Otherwise, I live by the philosophy that ya can't take it with you. Furthermore, you're being a patriotic american by being a dedicated consumer. Believe me, at 18 I was spending my $ alot more unconstructively.

Chances are, the people you're trying to justify your purchases to haven't been bitten by the same bug so wont understand your point of view. Less than a year ago, I woulda been one of them. now though, i'm envious of the adjustable konis..

tell yer brother to stop hatin, and do your thing man... and lets see some pics of the car. it better be pretty sweet if ur "wasting" all your $$ on it.

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

As the father of two teenagers, I've got to tell you that your folks should be very proud of you. I wish I had a kid who could teach me about cars! Just keep your studies up and enjoy the self-satisfaction of having such an enjoyable and useful hobby. Sure beats X-Boxes and partying all the time
Old 04-01-2005, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Last fall, I spent around $5500.00 to replace the cracked head on my 944S2. On a good day, my car is worth around $8000.00. Was it worth it? Well, I can't sell a 944S2 with a cracked head for any decent money!!

I do not want to sit down and add up all the receipts I have for work done on my car. But I figure I'm well north of $20k - probably closer to $30k! And I've only had the car since the summer of 2001!

Then again, I do drive the snot out of it on the track - I'm at redline for about 20 minutes at a time. But for those 20 minutes.... (Insert the Fast and the Furious quote here...)

Let no one fool you - Porsches - ALL Porsches are expensive to keep and maintain. Some folks manage to keep the costs within a budget. Others spend a little more. It's all relative to what you want to do with your car.
So, what do you spend your P-car budget on?

- Personally, I spend 99% of my budget on keeping everything in tip top mechanical shape.
- The next biggest expense is typically the 'unknown' mechanical failures - my H2O pump went, my clutch hub was shot, and last fall, my cracked head. These are the worst expenses, since it is difficult to budget for them!
- Next on the list is safety upgrades, which include: Redline rollbar, Fire extinguishers (2), racing seats and harnesses
- Tires - track rubber runs me about $1000 a season. (Toyo Proxes RA-1's ROCK!)
- Track & autox expenses: not counting food and lodging, for a DE weekend, it's about $50 a day entry fee, plus gas and oil. (I'm on my region's Track Ops group, so I pay 1/2 price over regular fees) Figure when all is said and done, I probably pay ~ $500 for a weekend DE. Autocross is far cheaper - $35 per event.
- I have $0.00 on performance upgrades.
- I did spend ~ $150 on a 19mm rear sway bar, though. (That was back in 2002!)

Next in my upgrade budget would be to do something more with my suspension - firmer springs, lowering...etc.

Sorry for rambling,
- Z-man.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 04-01-2005, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Slowtoady, don't be so vocal about what you're doing to the car - its nobodys business but your own. Who cares about input from others?

And like most other things in life, the power to ignore is extremely underrated......................
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 04-01-2005, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

slowtoady- sent you a pm
dave
Old 04-01-2005, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the positive replies, it's nice to know there are people who don't think I'm nuts because I _love_ my car. Besides, what else are 18 year old kids supposed to be interested in? My dad has had me turning wrenches on cars and motorcycles since I was knee high to a grasshopper, and he grew up doing the same thing (only he was better at it:-P) so he knows where I'm coming from. He's mainly just concerned that I haven't actually driven my car in almost 6 months.

Hey Z, do you run your car in IL. at all, or in Washington? My car has been around PCA for quite awhile, you might have seen it!

Pics? Naw, gotta get the paint work done before you can see those Sometime around 2010, I'd think. :-P

Thanks guys:-) If anyone ends up in the Chicago area, drop me a PM.

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 04-01-2005, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thought I'd bring this one back from the dead

So I was supposed to get the brakes done awhile ago, but didn't, because of work and school, so it is still on jack stands. Turns out now I need the slider pins on the calipers because mine are nice and rusted up. Anyway, my mom has family over for dinner and of course the first place they went is the garage.

"Is that thing ever going to run?"
"When ya gonna get the ****box back on wheels?"
"Has he driven it yet?"
"What's broken this week?"

Why don't they...just shut the **** up? I'm the only one who has not received fianancial help with my first (or second or third) car, yet they still feel the need to ***** at me. My dad went out and bought a pipe bender and a welder to do my sister's exhaust on her Conquest TSi. He bought and did the work to replace the wheel bearings on my brother's Jetta. He put a clutch in my brother's Eclipse. And paid for it. And my parents co-signed on loans for them. Not only have I not gotten a dollar from them, but my dad lives over an hour away (better than the 8 it used to be) and is never around to help, but they wouldn't sign on a loan for me either. What'd they expect for $3600? Not to mention I work and go to school full time? When am I supposed to work on it, especially without parts? I told them before it was going to be awhile.

Why do they all have to dog me? I knew they all hated my car when I bought it but I thought they could at least shut the heck up about it. If they aren't going to help me, in any way, then why do they complain? Yea, Mom, maybe if you weren't so money hungry, you and your ******* lawyer, dad wouldn't have had to sell my car to pay you...GRR...getting kind of personal but damn it anyway. Do they expect mechanic miracles or something? On $7 an hour, working and going to school? I'M NOT A MECHANIC. I'm a kid who likes cars..things take longer...

Whatever, I'm going to go buy a whole load of **** just to spite them.

Old 05-22-2005, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowToady
Thought I'd bring this one back from the dead
Honestly, I think it was better off in the ground. RIP.

-Mark
Old 05-23-2005, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
at work,a couple of guys always give me the same sad story, you know, "that thing must be expensive to keep up" not really, if you keep up with the basic maintenance. i done a makeshift total of what i had spent for the year, on the cars upkeep, then balanced that against what these guys spend at the "titty" bar, on lap dances, expensive beer etc. and at the end of the day, dont have anything to show for all that, except for an ever expanding gut, and diminished bank account. seriously, its beyond me how someone can spend over $400 at a titty bar i n one night, then try to lecture me on how "expensive" my car is to keep running. btw-nothing against titty bars, right!
its all relative. keep your car in good shape, and you will enjoy the benefits.
bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
I have mechanical experience, the only reason I dont do the work myself is because my car is daily driven, and I cant afford to keep it down for more than a day. I take it to the local P-shop and they usually have it all done in a day and I pick it up the next morning before work. That and I dont have any of my tools at my house
Old 05-23-2005, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

In my mind the 20 to 30 mpg justifies plus it's fun to drive. But I have heard it's an extension of a males manhood to drive a porsche. I haven't noticed mine gettin any bigger though.
79 GMC short bed 4x4
4 quarter horses
89 acura legend GS sedan
Old 05-24-2005, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
its worth it...............ask my todwic, we went so long with engine re-do I bought us bikes!!!!

she is now mine, and we bought another

LOL and i just noticed the manhood comment..................................I havent had any new developments either and yet I do turn MANY a head as I drive around town. Ive also been filmed as a "teenagers cruising" news report heheheeeeeeeeeeee
Old 05-28-2005, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: