Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question fans - help

fans. newbie question. Fans running battery down. Do not believe it to be relay as I have another 944 and swapped the relays out. Believe it to be sensor on radiator.
Question : can you remove the plug w/o taking the radiator out. trying to locate a 29mm deep socket but sears doesn't have one. Any suggestions as to :
1) can I do this without removing radiator and or shroud
2) what tool
3) where can I find 29mm deep socket
newby
sorry 1986 non turbo 944

Last edited by porwanabe; 04-02-2005 at 02:58 PM..
Old 04-02-2005, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

try a 30mm/1 1/16th

some sears/craftsman sockets work, it depends how they're cut.

i took the pan off, had it on ramps and was able to use a deep 1 1/16th and didn't pull the radiator out.

use a new seal/gasket and don't over torque it.

"may the force be with you"
Old 04-02-2005, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I used a Craftsman 1-1/8 deep socket - worked well. On rhino ramps, removed airbox. Tried to change it without removing fan assembly - wasted a bunch of time. Removed fan assembly (no big deal) then smooth sailing.

Untill you're ready, pull the fan fuses (#10 & #15) or the relay when you stop. I did that for ~2 weeks.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

fans

thanks for the advice. found a tech question regarding this issue posted last year.
all ready started the process ( incorrectly I might add). Was trying to come from the top. Not a good idea.
Will pull pan off and try. Got the socket. Have new seals and sensor. If can't I will pull fans off and go at it. Would have been nice if they had put this item is an easier place to remove. Oh well.
Just have to put the fluid back in and bleed system ( found tech article on "burping" as it is called ).
This issue just stated the other day. Trying to sell car at the moment thus I needed to fix this quickly.
thanks to all. love this site !!!
newby
Old 04-02-2005, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Have you been to clarks-garage.com?
Old 04-02-2005, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
If you are removing the fan, then pulling the radiator is not much more work. It's actually quite easy: 2 mount bolts on top, 2 mount bolts on bottom, 3 hoses (or is it 4), and it slides out.

It's easy to strip the threads on the radiator while installing the new temp switch. Removing the radiator makes the installation easier and potentially less costly (new rad is about $250...ask me how I know). Make sure you use a torque wrench.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yes I have been to clarks garage. Great site.
After reading a few posts I will remove the radiator to prevent (hopefully) any torque issues ( stripping ). I do not want to buy another radiator for this car.
Again, THANKS !!!! LOVE THIS SITE.
newby.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Hmmm... Just pulled the filter box support bracket to get to mine. No problems.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 04-03-2005, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by porwanabe
Yes I have been to clarks garage. Great site.
After reading a few posts I will remove the radiator to prevent (hopefully) any torque issues ( stripping ). I do not want to buy another radiator for this car.
Again, THANKS !!!! LOVE THIS SITE.
newby.
there's plenty of room to r&r/torqe without removing the fans/radiator.

i tried from the top and couldn't do it but have big hands.
good luck.

Old 04-03-2005, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

All done. Did not have to remove the radiator. Did have issues with finding the correct socket. It was a 1-1/8" to remove the old one, but the new one ( from pelican parts ) required a 1 3/16". Had tohit sears to which I had to go with a 3/4 drive socket. Next problem was the socket was to thick ( the walls ) to fit in between the fan and the frame. I had to remove 3 screws holding the fan shroud to the body, lift the shroud, them the socket would fit.
Everything back together. Waiting for battery charge to start the burping process.
Had no issues with the sensor coming out or going in.
newby
Old 04-03-2005, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

i guess it was a 1 1/16th, sorry, but it's how they're cut.
i had an older craftsmen socket that worked but a newer one wouldn't.

i burp it with the right side on a ramp and let gravity do it.

next time check the fluid level in the expansion tank before starting, take the switch out, sacrificing some coolant, fill to the same point and you may not need to burp the child.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

No big deal regarding the tool size.
burp the $%^%. Took it for a spin. sounds good.
Off to the mechanic we go. oh yeh mechanic will fix yee valve job yee did not do right.
newby
Old 04-03-2005, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: