Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

Poll: Is i too much
Poll Options
Is i too much

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

At what point is it too much

I loved my car, I had it for only a few months but I loved it. It was a gold exterior with a linen interior with original paint with a few small blemishes and a scuffed front spoiler. All maintenance including the clutch was done and I paid another $600 to fix the AC. Unfortunatly the car was savagly rear ended and totaled.

I have been looking to replace the car since August. I specifically want a car equall or better to my car. I dont want a red, black or white car, I dont even want a gold car with a brown interior.

I have found an absolute fantasic car, '86 130000km, silver on Linen. The car has close to flawless original paint, upgraded rear turbo under spoiler, turbo sway bars and an extra set of BBS rims in addition to the PDs. (I want extra wheels to put some "R"s on)The car is owned by a PCA driving instructor so it is maintained far beyond factory specs. the only thing missing is that it still has the original clutch. The price is $12000 CDN, alot of dough but I could also spend all this summer looking and come up empty. IS this nuts?
Old 04-02-2005, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
What is that in USD so we'd be comparing apples to apples?

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

12K CDN is about $9800 USD Alot for an NA with 80K miles (130K Kilometers)

But, on the other side of the coin, it already has some performance upgrades, and the BBS wheels (depending on which ones) are worth about $1K USD or more. But........if it's owned by a PCA instructor, it's probably been driven hard, but well taken care of.

In my opinion, it's right at the top-end of the price scale to over by 1K or so.

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 04-02-2005, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

MAYBE CONSIDE THIS:

To Sell or Part or Keep : HELP
87 924s....don't let the door hit ya
68 912.......see ya!
Old 04-02-2005, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Dave L

I just replied to your PM ........and then I read this post.

You are right not too many 944's up here. There are 2 kinds of 944's here in Canada. Well kept and junkers nothing in between.

So here is my offer.........
12K minus airplane ticket from toronto (500) minus (500 for new rims you want (you can buy PD's on ebay for that)

So with 11K canadian you can have mine............and if you can find a way to take the extra parts an NA tranny/bumper and other NA parts I have they are yours.

(you have details of my car in your pm box). No clutch or anything to do for at least 30K.

P.S on a side note........this car never saw the track/pca/autox etc..............
P.S and I will be your life long tech support on this forum. hehehe
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 04-02-2005, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

OH but one condition...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

NO MAD DRIFTZ YOH...............
Old 04-02-2005, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Dude I wouldnt pay that much for a NA at all, You could get a used 951 for that much
Old 04-02-2005, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to operationcougar
i have a gold 944 that was originally a german car its got 47K original miles a new head gasket, belts, injectors, and a full valve job (thanks to a broken belt) you can have it for $5k

only catch is i dont have that linin interior, ive just got the leather, dark brown, too bad i guess
z31 300zx vg30det+ (new money sucker)
Old 04-03-2005, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Re: At what point is it too much

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave L
[...] The price is $12000 CDN, alot of dough but I could also spend all this summer looking and come up empty. IS this nuts?
For anyone, including yourself, to arrive at a sensible answer to this question, you have to tell us what your time is worth.

-Mark
Old 04-04-2005, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

What my time is worth is a tough question. I have the cash in the bank for the purchase of a 944. I would rather pay upfront knowing that a car is "ready to run" than spend time chasing down issues and shuttleing cars back and forth to a mechanic. I have a 2.5 year old son and a 3 day old daughter. The car will be a third car used primarily for the weekends and for AutoX purposes. To wait untill mid summer means autoXing the BMW or Mazda and buying wheels and tires for this purpose. To answer the 951 question, I have looked, I have driven, but I didnt pull the trigger on a nice one I saw last fall. The price was reasonable I just dont know if I am ready for 951 maintenance.

Prices seems to be very high in Canada for "good" 944's. As an example I looked at an '86 with 36,000km for $15,000 and another with 87,000KM for about the same price. These ones I knew where too expensive, but on the other hand you are basically getting a close to new Porsche for about $12,000 USD??????

I may just buy an e36 for family and race purposes and start looking again next spring. Argh.. to much thinking.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hey Dave....

I will be putting my car in the autotrader as well over the next couple of weeks. I have 6 cars in the driveway and it has to go .........or my wife is gonna drive the truck right over it.

I sent you a pm on the details of the car. IF you want me to send you pics. (Pm me your email). (not sure if the PM went through? I had to split my message into two sections?)

If you want to throw offers my way be my guest.

I really don't want to part out this car. So if you don't want it but hear of some that might want it please let them know ......it will be showing up on autotrader)

P.S In regards to the priices of 944's. Prices up here are definitely higher. For comparisons here is whats for sale.
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/result.aspx?searchtype=adv&kw=&dp=&age=&kfr=1&kto=2000000&category=4000&mk=PORSCHE&md=944&yfr=1984&yto=2005&pfr=0&pto=9999999&postal=&distance=&city=&pro=&dm=1&type=province

There are 3 types of 944's 1) A low mileage car that definitely guarantees that you will be doing all the maintenance in no time. (Water pump, clutch, brakes etc....) 2) A high miler with all the maintenace done. 3) A high miler that has been driven to the ground and no maintenance done.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rmills944 Send a message via Yahoo to Rmills944
That is a beautiful car, but have you considered upgrading to a turbo or s2?

Pete over on rennlist sold his show-winning S2 for $9500 and it was mint condition.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Here is the link to the car I am considering.

http://www.pcaucr.org/pcaucr/forum/post.jsp?postid=2943

take a look then comment
Old 04-04-2005, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Composite Shop Owner, DJ

Send a message via MSN to MixMasterK Send a message via Yahoo to MixMasterK
I have an '86 as well. The actual market price in Washington is as of last year, $4300 USD. Consider that. You're better off spending the money on a newer turbo or S2 model. And you would still have some money left over to do SOME upgrades that this other car already has.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Looks like a solid car mechanically (except for A/C), but I can't see anything putting it in the "exceptional" category otherwise. Cosmetically it sounds about average for a well-looked after car. (BTW, I agree that there are typically those cars that have been well-looked after, and junkers that have been driven into the ground, and not a lot in between. That seems to be true whatever part of the world you're in.)

Still, almost USD$10K sounds very expensive -- as people have already suggested, this is a budget where you can comfortably shop for nicely kept S2s and Turbos, at least in the US. Is it difficult and/or expensive to get US registered cars imported and reregistered in Canada? If so, this would explain why the cheapness of the US cars has not affected prices in Canada as much.

I still suspect you could get nicer for cheaper, if you were willing to put the time in. That's why I asked you what you consider your time to be worth -- because that's really the trade-off, from what you've said. If this is what you want, and you are willing to pay over the odds for the utility of "have it now", then this is probably a reasonable thing to do. I shopped my current 944 for 6 months, and some people (literally) look for years before finding "the one".

(Only looking for six months, I actually considered myself a bit on the impatient side! )

Best of luck. I doubt this could be considered a disastrous purchase in any sense, unlike the poor unwitting souls who buy a "cheap" 944 at a "really great price", only to discover that they've invested in a monetary black hole that no amount of time or money will ever make right.

One final thought: asking price and getting price are, of course, two different things. You can always offer less, based on things like the A/C needing repairs, or recent comparable sales, and see what happens.

Take care,

-Mark
Old 04-04-2005, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Custom User Title

UPDATE - This past weekend was the "it was or wasnt meant to be" weekend.

I had reservations regarding the price and I had decided that if it didnt sell over the weekend I would put in an offer. As it turns out the car was sold so it "wasnt meant to be"

I have now extended my search downwards to include the US. I want a car in good shape with current maintenance records with lower mileage. The good news is that the prices seem to be much much lower in the US.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Have you looked into the process of importing cars? It might be something you want to budget for, but I have no idea.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 04-11-2005, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

This discussion is exactly why I am not ever looking forward to sell my 87na. It is a show winner with tons of upgrades. last winter it recieved a full new coat of Melvin Red.. Sexy.

Yet, I would struggle to get $6500 for it. I have that in suspension and paint upgrades. Not worth it. I'll keep it.

"Don't retreat, reload." Sarah Palin
Old 04-12-2005, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

vott does ziss do?

how about a third choice: "hey. for that kind of money, you could get one hell of a turbo"
Old 04-12-2005, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ronin
how about a third choice: "hey. for that kind of money, you could get one hell of a turbo"
How can we make it perfectly clear to you 951 worshipers?

SOME OF US DO NOT WANT A TURBO. Can I make this any more clear. If I was handed a spotless tubo for free I would sell it and put more money into my NA and BMW.

"Don't retreat, reload." Sarah Palin
Old 04-12-2005, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: