Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Power Steering and Leaking Water

Hi guys,

Two questions for you with regards to my 1987 Porsche 944S. it has 100k on the clock and just two little problems which I need some guidance on.

First off, the drivers matt is a bit damp all the time. I can't trace any fluid losses so what do I need to look at next? Is there any known "leaking points". I have noticed that water builds up a bit on the drivers door ledge alright but I would expect a wet trail all the way from the door ledge to the leaky patch just beneath the pedals.

Secondly, my front anti-roll bar is getting covered in power steering fluid. The steering is somewhat heavy and the steering gaiter is also covered in fluid. Does this mean the power steering pump is shot or can I simply replace all the seals?

Any help on the above would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 04-04-2005, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to auh
Most of us have the power steering problem. To solve, I went to the local auto store and bought a bottle of Lucas Power Steering stopleak. Haven't had any problems since.

As for the first thing, I also am having this problem and can't seem to trace where water is getting in. I know that its coming from the out side cause I only have the problem after it has been raining and I take a hard turn and my feet get a nice shower.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hpaulb
Call Rennbay.com for rebuild kits for pumps and racks. Just did mine. Messy but no to hard. There shouldn't be any POWER STEERING FLUID. The car uses transmision oil in the steering system.
03 Altima Tin box
05 Pontiac Sunfire, 64 VW dirt buggy
Old 04-04-2005, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Local driver had the wet feet problem. Found a hole in the middle of the basin above the pedals. Left hand drive. Looked like there had been a plug in it befor the car was painted.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 04-04-2005, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
With the later 944's and the fuse/relay box in the basin you need to check the seal on the fuse/relay box. Sometimes stereo installers cut a hole in the sides to run wires through.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 04-04-2005, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
kg_p944

auh, I've heard horror stories about people rebuilding (non Porsche) power steering racks, and they needed to rent "hot oil" tanks or some such ridiculous equipment. Does the 944 rack need any speclialized tools or can all the seals and rings be replaced with just basic stuff?

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
UHmmmm take a look at the hoses coming from the canister these like to leak as well. Clean it all up with some Brake Cleaner and watch it over the next few days. Look at all the connections on the power steering lines.

The rack can be rebuilt and I believe he supplies you with directions on his site on how to do it. I have seen a few who have rebuilit with no problems.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 04-04-2005, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
kg_p944

Nevermind, found http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/steer-03.htm
Old 04-04-2005, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the good feedback. I'll check out my water issue at the weekend and investigate the seal kit as well.

Keep up the revs!

Colm
Old 04-05-2005, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: