Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face 924 brake problem...i think...

Im newbie to my shiny porsche 924 lux 1984 (UK)

there isnt a lot wrong with it, but i must say im rather dissappointed with the brakes, i understand they are drums at the rear, and that they are culled from a beetle, however i have owned beetles and the brakes were better as i recall...

It seems that when i brake hard the pedal depresses, the car slows and will slow to a stop...eventually, you press harder but the the pedal doesnt feel like its doing anything more than if you press it gently, what dyou think? is this normal?

could it be siezedwheel cylinders?

is this common?

thanks

Mark
Old 04-04-2005, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
First off, I did not know that 924's were produced in 1984. I learn something new every day.

Second of all, it sounds like you have a brake problem. There should definately be a change in feel the harder you step on the brakes.
I've never seen a wheel cylinder sieze with drum brakes, but that isn't to say it can't happen. What I have seen however are a lot of siezed calipers. I would check out the operation of both the calipers and rear wheel cylinders first. As well as the condition of the pads/shoes.

Is the brake booster working alright? It just occured to me that it could be the problem as well.

Buy my parts!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

excuse my ignorance but whats a brake booster?

and yes i will strip the calipers and check them (the cylinder is the bit thatpushes the calipers apart)

cheers

Mark

Ps i think they made the 924 later than 84 for the uk...
Old 04-04-2005, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have seen rubber brake lines deteriorate & get blockage. USA 924 had a weird brake setup. It is a dual master cylinder, with one piston working a front and the diagonal rear, and the other piston the other two brakes. This is different than the more conventional dual master cylinder setup where one piston works the front & the other the rear.

You could have a bad master cylinder if yours is a diagonal setup.
If yours is a conventional set up, I have seen weak brakes when rear drums are out of adjustment.

wife has 924 turbo
Old 04-04-2005, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

had a go at adjusting them in the rain earlier....(great UK weather!!) but they seem well adjusted, i think i'll strip down the drums and rebuild the cylinders first, cant do any harm eh?

i suppose really theres a list of things to check out...

drums...
discs/calipers - linings
mastercylinder - pads
pipework

anything ive missed?

cheers
Old 04-04-2005, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
kg_p944

Brake booster is the wide (about 30cm diameter), flat (about 7cm tall) cylinder which on left-hand-drive cars is mounted to the firewall right in front of the steering wheel. It is immediately behind your master cylinder. It uses pneumatic force to magnify the action of the brake pedal when actuating the master cylinder piston.

I think in inches, so my metric may be off. And I'm no help with RHD cars. I don't know why I bothered replying. :P
Old 04-04-2005, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Replace the rear wheel cylinders. Rebuild the front cylinders (or replace). Turn the rotors and drums. Put new pads and shoes on. Bleed the brakes.

In fact I would bleed the brakes first to get all the old fluid out BEFORE I replaced the cylinders.

Yes I have seen seized wheel cylinders. Especially when a car has sat for a long time.

You might just get lucky and a good bleeding will take care of the problem. Then maybe not.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 04-04-2005, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Composite Shop Owner, DJ

Send a message via MSN to MixMasterK Send a message via Yahoo to MixMasterK
Had a similar problem way back on my '79. Rear shoes were worn and out of adjustment.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

well guys i found out what it was,...the vacuum pipe between the brake booster and the intake manifold has a plastic plug at the brake booster end this had cracked and was leaking so much air a vacuum could not form in the brake booster, when i fiddled with it the whole thing broke off!! ive done a temporary repair using epoxy (liquid metal) this has sealed it for now, but the by-product is that the car idles better i suppose due to sealing the vacuum leak!
total repair bill: 4.99 for liquid metal. cool!!
Old 04-11-2005, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Composite Shop Owner, DJ

Send a message via MSN to MixMasterK Send a message via Yahoo to MixMasterK
Excellent!!
Old 04-11-2005, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: