Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

general question- garage warranty

recently some work was done on a 944 at a local garage. The owner of the vehicle supplied the parts ( in this case a valve job - all related parts). Once the car was finished the car started to smoke a bit thus the owner of the car suspected the valve seals had not been installed correctly. The owner of the garage says he will not fix the problem since he did not buy the parts.
He does have a 12k or 1yr warranty on all work as he stated.

Should the owner of the business be responsible for fixing the problem or is the owner of the car responsible????
Old 04-04-2005, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Its common for a shop to not warranty the work if the customer supplies parts. Everything should have been discussed upfront, especially if using customer supplied parts is not their usual way of doing business.

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ya, the problem with this is that they didnt find the parts, and use stuff they know to be good. This creats a problem because alot of people who make aftermarket parts, make them made out of cheap materials that dont last as long. thats why shops dont offer warrenties when you supply parts. Now, if he never expressly said that he would not warrenty the parts, thats a whole new ball game. Your call if you want to try to get him to fix it, though, i have a feeling you wont get far.

If its a matter of not being installed correctly, then its a whole new ball game. They were paid to install them correctly, and if they arent, they are responsible.

I would have another shop assess the situation, and if it turns out that they were indeed installed wrong, they should pay to have them installed correctly.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

based on the information I have is the car parts were purchased from the exact place this garage would have bought them without the mark up.
the car according to the owner has been taken to 3 shops in town and all believe the issue to be the seals. All 3 have said according to the owner that the seals probably did not "seat" correctly. The bottom end was determined to be fine for the age of the car and if the bottom end was the issue they all believed the smoke would be far worse and other issues would arise.
The owner and I believe the seals were "not" installed correctly but the only way to truly find out is to pull the head. The garage owner is saying the parts are the problem ( go figure ) and he is not responsible.
The owner believes that basic customer service should apply here. He spent dern near 2000$ for the valve job and belt change ( labor and parts ). The garage owner has a good rep thus the owner is a bit confused as to why he fails to pony up. On top of that the owner has used this person for years with no issues.
We are just amazed that for a "relatively" quick operation for the garage owner ( I say that carefully ) that the risk of loosing his business and my business plus many of my friends is just stupid.Word of mouth spreads fast.
The question is how to prove the labor was the issue ( we both believe this ). He is trying to be fair to the owner but is running out of options. His next move is to have his lawyer get involved.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

well you cant prove anything without taking the head apart. The issue here is whos paying for A new valve job to be done. Either way it needs to be redone. Get it done, and have it checked out. A good mechanic should be able to tell you if the valve job was bad, or if it was the parts that caused the problem.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: