Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

CHECK your grounds... Pics

As some of you may know, I've been chasing electrical gremlins for a while. I THOUGHT I found every ground and cleaned, etc...

Well, I was wrong. I didn't realize that there was a ground behind the passenger headlight as well. My tip-off was:

I washed the car, then the headlights started dancing and the light under the hood was mysteriously working... This was the second time this happened, the only similarity was there was water present each time.

I unbolted the headlight (as best I could) and voila...

I hope this is all of them...

Does anyone know where this side (pass on 87 n/a) routes to? I have gotten as far as the radiator. Does it just go to the other side?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

now
that is just ugly! I know what I'm doing tonight.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
What was rubbing up against the wires? Was it the headlight opening and retracting, or other? Can you tell?
Old 04-06-2005, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It did not appear that the light rubbed the wires and caused this. When I accessed the wires they were safely out of the way.... HOWEVER.... A carfax reveals an accident "involving the front of the vehicle" under 500 bucks. The light cover was painted "gold paint underneath".. So I think I have the cause.

When wet, the headlights spin continuously and other things mysteriously start working.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I think you have rats. Rats with a penchant for copper.

That's nasty man.

My next major project is exactly what you're doing. The main ground off the battery is missing 1/2 it's shielding.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

ONLY PUT IN RECOMMENDED FUSES look!

This all started from the PO putting a 30 amp fuse where there should be a 7.5. If your fuse is blowing, FIX the problem, don't put in a bigger fuse!

I'll try to post another pic.

HOLY SH|T... It is WAY worse than first realized. This wire is melted ALL the way up to the fuse panel. I am looking at a MAJOR repair. It has to be 10 feet long.

I have to get an entire wire harness for the lights and ignition from the fusebox back.

Fortunately there is a porsche 944 in the junkyard about 4 miles from my house. I am going to go and see if I can get something tomorrow.

I am so bummed out, however, I did find the cause of a lot of problems.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Over fused. More pics

Here is the wire melted at the fusebox....

Here is the wire melted under the emblem panel.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter
I think you have rats. Rats with a penchant for copper.

That's nasty man.

My next major project is exactly what you're doing. The main ground off the battery is missing 1/2 it's shielding.
I went to the local electronics store here and bought some amazing 4G wire (black and red) and re-ran the ground (to the block) and the positive to the starter, then from starter to alt. If you look in the pics you can see the thick red wire. That is the new + cable. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Let me know if you need any advice.

-Jason
Old 04-06-2005, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Old 04-06-2005, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
These wires should be in a sheath!!! This is a total clunge!!!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 04-06-2005, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

They were in a sheath, I kept tracing the burnt wires and they led me all the way to the fuse box. I pulled the sheath off. I had no choise as it was melted on the bottom the whole way up.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Yikes!!!! Double Yikes!!!!!!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 04-07-2005, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
I was just going to say... those wires should be in some kind of wrapping, but SoCal beat me to it

On another note, I'm re-running my + and - leads on my 951, as well as the Alternator-Starter wire, running some #0 for the battery wires, and some #2 for the alternator wire, very good upgrade for everybody IMO (Hence the Iceshark kits).

Buy my parts!
Old 04-07-2005, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

They were in a sheath (earlier post) but I had to trace out the damage...

I just did all the pos and neg last week. Wasn't to bad.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

My oh my! If the wires burnt like that on the open runs, I'd hate to see what some of the connectors at the fuse relay box look like! I just went thru my project car replacing the entire fuse/relay box, and a ton of relay sockets, and misc. connectors, and short wire runs do to "creative" wiring done by the PO, and because several fuses were over amp fuses than should have been used. The pins into the relay/fuse blocks were burnt up into the inside of the block. Look the relay/fuse box over really good.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Actually, took the bull by the horns and took the whole thing out and inspected. There is only one bad wire... Thankfully.

The PO put a 30 amp fuse where a 7.5 should have been.

IF THE FUSE IS BLOWING - THERE IS GENERALLY A REASON...

I can hear the idiot now....

"Wow, it blew the 20 amp too, I'll try the 30. Yep, looks like that did the trick. Hey you smell something?"

Idiots..
Old 04-07-2005, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iobound
Hey rachwalj, I LOVE the avitar!!!! I get a kick out of it each time I see it. Definately brings a smile to my face.
1988 944 NA w/4valve S motor (Daily Driver)
1992 965 Coupe 3.4 Liter, webers, GE60 (Garage Queen)
1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
2002 Barbie Electric Kids Jeep
Old 04-07-2005, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I have to say I couldn't pass it up... I saw it on the acura board ( I have a 95 integra w/ 200k ) and I just had to have it.

Brings a grin to my face still.

-J
Old 04-07-2005, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: