Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Strange torque tube problem

Anyone seen anything like this? When I was under the car, I noticed that there was a split in the torque tube casing, which looks like it had been patched at some stage with some muffler repair material (?) (hard to know exactly what it is but it is like a metallic tape, about 0.5mm thick.) You can see the width of the silver tape running up the torque tube, and the split showing through the repair again, some rust on the edges.

Obviously, at the very least I have to get this sealed again so that road grit doesn't get into the bearings, but it beats me what might be the cause of the damage in the first place. It's far too high up to be caused by driving over something, for example; there would be no exhaust system left, and extensive underbody damage. Are the tube casings ever known to corrode from inside, due to water that gets trapped in there and sits, for example?

Anyway, any ideas or tips on what might have caused this/what to do about this appreciated. The tube isn't making any unusual noise at this stage. (Sorry about the picture quality; the flash at close range can saturate things a bit, lowering the contrast.)

-Mark

Last edited by Mark944na86; 04-10-2005 at 07:15 AM..
Old 04-10-2005, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
That is a first for me..............

You are saying you can see the shaft inside. Could be rust but frankly that is amazing. Unless this car has been sitting in a pool of water all its life.

........and if you hit something to cause that damage........... you would WAY more damage than that...........
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 04-10-2005, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The split in the TT is normal. When I rebuilt mine, I sealed the split with some silicone sealant and put aluminum tape as back up.
I agree with you that water will get in there and rust will destroy the TT bearings.
I used rubber sealed bearings when I rebuilt the TT as an extra protection because the original bearings were metal shielded.
2018 Suburban Z71
Old 04-10-2005, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: