Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to drfatz
Signs of a worn out clutch?

I was wondering what the signs were of a worn out clutch. I have 115,000 miles on the car and I believe it still has its original clutch. I am planning on replacing it in a few weeks, but I was curious what happens when it is dieing....and will it suddenly stop working? I recently (yesterday) had the car on the track for the first time just to see how she did. However, while driving home I noticed excessive drive train lash (ie bucking) when the clutch is released or if the throttle is released rapidly. Also, I noticed a metallic smacking sound when I release the clutch which can be felt through the gear shift. And finally...when the throttle is closed and the car is still moving, but the clutch is still engaged I now hear a strange vibrating gear sound (thatís the best I can describe it). It should be mentioned that prior to the track the oil in the trans was changed. I need this car to last me the next 4 weeks of which time it will be used simply to drive around town, no more tacking until a new clutch....any thoughts?
-Just installed: M030 Suspension with turbo A-arms and hubs. Big Reds with rotors and stainless lines. Turbo sway bars front and rear. Boxter wheels, turbo mater cylinder, and MOMO steering wheel and shift knob.
Just Finished: Clutch, flywheel and transmission...and TONS more!
Old 04-10-2005, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sounds to me like you need a new clutch.

However, i hope you have saved up cuz it can be expensive.

Once they get inthere they may find other problems, shot halfshafts, craked torque tube the list goes on and on. It is not an easy job.

I spent over 2 grand on my clutch job which was to much but they did a lot of work and were not familiar with P cars so it took themn 16hours of labor so in some ways i got a deal. They also fixed my wiring mess along the way!!
Old 04-10-2005, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What could be happening is that the original clutch rubber center has sheared off. There are some 'limp home' metal tabs in there that engage one another, allowing the car to still move. This happened on my son's car and one day the tabs broke off and the car could no longer move, so it came home by towtruck.
'88 CitroŽn 2CV
Old 04-12-2005, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Someone sugested to me that it could possibly be a broken transmission mount.....either way....this car needs to make it accross PA which is about 350 miles....should I risk driving it or should I rent a toe dolly and toe her back?
-Just installed: M030 Suspension with turbo A-arms and hubs. Big Reds with rotors and stainless lines. Turbo sway bars front and rear. Boxter wheels, turbo mater cylinder, and MOMO steering wheel and shift knob.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Tow dollies have had mixed results due to how low our cars are slung and more than one guy has damaged the car. If you go that way make sure you lift up by the rear end so you are not spinning the transmission across the state. I'd rent one of the flatbed trailers.

Could be a broken transmission mount or rather delaminated rubber. When you see how lightweight that thing is you will scratch your head wondering how it ever lasted as long as it did.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Drove my car a few hundred Km with sheared clutch rubber disc.
To test if it is the rubber, put car in neutral ,go to the inspection hole in nose cover of tranny. If drive shaft can be rotated say 30 deg either way, rubber disc is gone and shaft is rotating until metal stops on clutch prevent further rotation.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

well I appreciate all of the advice.....I'll be extra carefull driving the car around untill it can be fixed!
Old 04-13-2005, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: