Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rear Clanking is BACK--- UPDATE!!!!

The Clanking is Back!!! I thought i fixed it...well I did for 6 months or so now its back. I just lubed the rear end before, I'll do the same but what am I looking for. The clank ONLY appears when Im in gear and accellerating. Clues, info appreciated...Thanks in Advance...

Traded - 86 944 Turbo Guards Red. RIP - 85.5 944 Guards Red

Last edited by chitown944; 04-21-2005 at 03:23 PM..
Old 04-12-2005, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
Hmmm,
I had something similar, but it was more of a rubbing noise. I raised the car and looked for something loose, and moved the axles a little, but couldn't find anything. It went away for a while, but came back worse. Other posts I've read say that a metalic noise that is directly tied to acceleration and car speed (vice engine speed) sounds like CV joints. I ordered new ones, and removed and took apart the old ones (originals I think). There was some significant wear and damage in the joints so I'm hoping that was it. While I was at it, I stripped and repainted the axles (better than new), got the boots on and the CV joints are next. Pics show old axle and stripped, then painted and new boots (joints are in the boxes).

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 04-13-2005, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Here's the new axles all put together, just need to pack the moly grease on each joint and bolt in place. I'll let you know if it fixes the noise.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 04-14-2005, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had the same exact problem. First I thought CV joints even ordered a set . But to find out it was my center cap
Old 04-14-2005, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

CENTERCAP!!!!!! Man I was thinking the excat same thing yesterday and I couldnt get it off. Wouldnt you know it the ****in noise is gone.

Old 04-14-2005, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Louie, Really great looking axles! Now you have to take off the CV's and grease the heck out of them. Yes both from both sides with the gray moly grease.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 04-14-2005, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Did you get the memo?

Wow Louie, so clean! I just did mine, I swear everything within ten feet of me had grease on it when I was done. You did it the smart way, all new stuff. I tore apart each CV, cleaned and inspected them. Everything looked good so I reassembled, relubed, and then put them on with new boots. Amazing the difference it made.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Whooo, putting them in was easier than taking them out. So far so good. No noises and smooth driving. I'll get it back up in the air in a week to check the bolt torques. At this rate I'll have a new car in a year.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 04-19-2005, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ShApE
Quote:
Originally posted by grayj2
I had the same exact problem. First I thought CV joints even ordered a set . But to find out it was my center cap
ok guys i got the same exact problem, what center cap? im sooooo sick of this noise.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

well i took the cap of noise is still there

Old 04-20-2005, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I took my car to a local shop next to my business and carefully watched as they took things apart. The boot was almost completly dry. So I had them repack both axels. There was also some play in the right rear emergency cable. Im thinking thats the culprit. Is it possible the extra slack in the cable was allowing the excess cable to get caught in the wheel when driving. I dunno but for the moment everything seems to be OK. The innards of the CV seemed fine the bearings as well. Hopefully thats that.

Old 04-21-2005, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: