Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

weltmeister bushings

I bought the rear set for the front control arms here at Pelican parts. They came as just the polyurethane bushings. There's no steel with this set at all. My question is, is this correct?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
I believe you need to Press the old bushings out to remove them and then press the new ones in. It can be a pain.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
Yes that's correct. I've seen some that come with a steel inner sleeve, but the Weltmiester don't. The problem with that is you cannot torque that mount bolt to spec or you will warp the mounting flanges on the cast aluminum cross brace, and crush the poly bushings.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 04-14-2005, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I don't like the Weltmeister. I had some on a 914. I bought a stick of UHMWPE to make the front control arm bushings out of, took it to work, told the boys they could use it in the plant in an emergency, & an idiot used the whole bar unsuccessfully trying to make some sleeves for one of the waste water pumps. Then I got some Weltmeister. If you read the info it tells you they are precision & to file your parts to fit them. I measured & found .008 difference on OD & ID & about .029 on lengths. I wasn't going to fle my control arms to fit this junk & had a control arm binding as the front wheel would lift.

Except for that bind they did give a better feel & more stable handling. As said by the others there were no sleeves or thrust washers. If I had to do it for a 944, I would use either UHMWPE or DELRIN, make 2 bushings with a sleeve through both for the front of each control arm & for the control arm. This allows flanges on each bushing. On the back I would make a metal thrust washer for the bushing flange.

wife has 924 turbo
Old 04-15-2005, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just so you guys know...I have these bushings available for all early 924 and pre '86 944

$45 shipped in the US

I also have the rear torsion carrier and spring plate bushings (same exact parts as Weltmeister sells) for all years 924/944

$105 shipped in the US

Email or PM for purchase info
Old 04-15-2005, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I just got a set of the Weltmiester poly bushings and they came with the metal sleeve insert only problem is I'm have a hard time getting all of it to into the control arm almost seems like their too big. Anyone have a clue as to what I should do? Should i leave out the metal sleeve? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

weltmiester bushings are made from polyoxymethylene plastie AKA delrin . not polyurethane ! delrin is a short link polymer chain making them a much harder plastic than polyurethane which is a long polymer chain making them softer and causing sticksion (binding) that is why polyurethane bushings squeak . and making for in most cases a worse handling car than stock soft rubber bushing . if your getting sticksion from delrin bushings they were installed incorrectly . like all bushings and bearings you have to have the right tolerances . if not then yes they will bind ! you want about a 2000ths gap for the povit point with delrin . delrin is a very hard plastic and well ware out quickly . becouse alot of racing classes prohibit metallic pickup points on your suspension delrin is the next best thing to use for racing . becouse of the deferent sizes of the stock control arm bushing seats you have to eather size the delrin bushing or the control arm seat most of the time sizing the seat is the ez way out becouse if your going to always use delrin bushing then they are always the same size . when the manufacture made the control arms they were made knowing that rubber bushing are going to be installed so the seats are not all the same sizes . why make them with a tight spec when your just pressing a peace of rubber in it . so size the control arms and install the delrin bushings .
Old 04-15-2009, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for breaking it down 962 very helpful.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: